Does everyone live in Seattle ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nemo415

Hello all, I live in the Chicago suburbs and the selection of corals around the area are slim at best . Zoanthids , Montipora ect ect are always of the brown color , it sucks to live in the heartland . All you coast reefers have way better selection and price . I was wondering does anyone on this board have a prop tank and reside close in the midwest ? I know alot of our sponcers have great corals and clams and I can deal with the prices but when you add shipping it is just crazy :mad: , and I know it's not there fault HELP !!!! :eek:

WaterDogs said:
Reef Central has tons of midwest members that can help you out.

So does RF :D - midwesterner at your service! :D

I'm originally from a south suburb of Chicago....still call it my home :). My heart will always be in Chicago. Nemo - if my tank was mature, I'd frag some stuff for ya, but I'm just stocking it. I go up to Chicago quite often to visit my family. Depending on where you're at, it is about a 3-4 hour drive down here, and Premium Aquatics is local for us in Indianapolis. You should think about making a drive one Saturday for their walk in hours. I'm trying to think of some LFS up there, but its been a couple of years since I went into one - I know of A Splash of Life in St. Charles. I drove up to Rod's Reef in DeKalb to pick up my Black Onyx True Perculas - he was a really nice guy. I don't remember if any of his corals were for sale, as I was focused on the clownfish :)

We have middle America reefers from Indy, St. Louis, Ohio, Kentucky, Tenn, Michigan, etc. represented here.

Bowling Green Ky here. One hour north of Nashville TN. And the home of the Corvette plant, Holly carborator, Earls fittings, Hooker Headers, Anihaltor ignitions, Wherhauser wood and cardboard, and Hills pet science diet. Also we have one good fish and coral store, one really really crappy one, and then petco and walmart...... LOL
Mitch has 3 very large surge tanks full of corals and frags. ORA frags, and many others. Pretty good place to shop, if you dont mind treating everything for planaria. I dont know any other or nicer way to put it. Nashvegas has the Aquatic Critter which is just full of great corals. Also the Fin Den which is nice as well. So that is the state of south central Ky reefing. Steve

Yes i have been to Splash of life and own one of rod's true black onyx clowns he was pricey but worth it . That is where I buy most of my corals from . Don't get me wrong there are alot of good LFS's around here but as far as corals go they don't compare to the stuff other members are getting on the coast . Elmo just PM'd me and He is checking into shipping , hopefully I can get one of his orange montapora frags that would be great . Nah20 being from around Chicago suburbs I'm sure you feel my pain . thanks everyone for replying I really enjoy being a member of this forum .

Hey Mike, S.Dakota is in the MidWest too! Well not the whole state, just two of us, but thats two strong baby! And i dont want to hear any boo-hoos about LFS, i only have 1!

Anyways welcome to RF Nemo! iTs a great site!

-Jidz

Sorry to hear that Jiddy , just goes to prove no matter how bad off you feel you are someone always has it worse .Thank you for the welcome

Jiddy said:
Hey Mike, S.Dakota is in the MidWest too! Well not the whole state, just two of us, but thats two strong baby! And i dont want to hear any boo-hoos about LFS, i only have 1!

Anyways welcome to RF Nemo! iTs a great site!

-Jidz

I thought South Dakota seceded from the union, j/k :D :D :D :D

I grew up in Chicago's west side and now live in Richland, WA. I would have thought that being in a big city there would be more to offer? I wasn't in to fish when I lived there. Can't really afford a saltwater tank on foodstamps in the ghetto! :D

Welcome to the forum I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Another midwesterner checking in. McHenry, IL area. Yes there are not alot of LFS's that carry awesome SPS/clams. Most SPS seem to be of the brown variety, although they should color up once aclimated to your tank.

Midwest ... Madison, WI.

Was just down in Chicago over the weekend [IMAC] - and stopped at ReefDweller to pick up SPS frags. If you haven't been there - you should, he propagates some really nice stuff IMO. Not really a `conventional fish store', but many of the prop places are that way - and I like them better than LFS.

Have you checked out CMAS? I've heard quite good things about their frag swaps from friends who have headed down there.

In my experience, our LFS gets in colorful corals which they have a remarkable knack of browning out. I know most frags I bring in [colored nicely] turn to brown in short order in their tanks and can sit there for weeks/months until someone takes the chance [and probably gets a nice suprise when they color up quick]. Normally I bring stuff in on Saturday mornings, so that it can go out the door still colored ...

But I'd check around. There's some propagators here and there - and if you come up this way, LMK as I can point out a place or two [or a friend or two with prop tubs].

Back