DolphinLvr's 180 build! A dream, becomming a reality!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well I am going to be plumbing up my water storage system and wanted to get some input from you all as far as pumps go.

1) Pump for Tsunami AT1 - This pump will need to draw RODI from approximately 10 ft away. Any Ideas?

2) Pump for Saltwater/RODI - This external pump will be used to fill the salwater storage tank from the RODI tank. It will be also used to recirculate/mix the saltwater and to push the saltwater to the sump (about 10 ft) after I have drained water for the water change. Any suggestions as to a pump? I was thinking a Mag 5

Water_Storage.jpg

Some ideas from what I did. I just plumbed my two containers together with a ball valve in between, that way I can open up the valve and fill both containers at once from the RODI. If I am going away on vacation I can just leave the valve open and have Top off water for 2 weeks. If I am going to be doing a water change I close the valve and mix up one container with salt. Instead of using any pumps to move the water I set my storage containers up on a stand so the salt water storage container just gravity feeds to the sump.

My ATO is using a submersable pump and pumps through a 1/4" tube about 10-12' to the sump. The pump is rated at about 1490LPH (RIO 1400 or 1900, tag is pretty faded, so not sure) but it only really needs to pump it up and over the barrel, gravity handles the rest. Do not forget to put a siphon break in the ATO line so when the pump shuts off the water stops (I have a "T" with one side open inside the barrel but above the water level)

You also need a pump in your saltwater tank to mix with.

Thanks Kris!

With using the Tsunami ATO, it should switch off the pump when I reach my high level in the sump. So i shouldnt need a anti-siphon correct?

Also the reason I am want to use the pump for the saltwater is so I can recirculate the water, thus not having to have a pump inside.

For some reason or another, I just dont trust gravity!!!!! The older I get, the more I dislike it!!!!:lol:

oh no the siphon will continue even with a ATO and shut off..
you can poke a large hole or, (like kris and I) we use a quick disconnected 1/4" O.D. "T" where we want the water to stop siphoning.

For some reason or another, I just dont trust gravity!!!!! The older I get, the more I dislike it!!!!:lol:

In my experience water will always run down hill, but pumps don't always pump.

The older I get the more gravity proves itself to me :badgrin:

no gravity feed AATO is asking for trouble the float might not go all the way up and you'll have a slow drip
Shes just making the point of gravity will get you every time
and a siphon will drain a container dry very quickly.

The Tsunami ATO is great, I have been using mine for years with no issue. But like Adam is saying once the pump starts the flow it will not stop if you have a closed system to create a siphon.

The rest of my comments regarding gravity were just tongue in cheek. I decided to use gravity as much as I could in my water change system as I do not trust pumps, but did not like the gravity idea for the ATO because if the float valve stuck and dumped 110 gal of freshwater in my system it would not be good!

Thanks Kris!

I totally agree about a float valve possibly getting stuck, Thats why I went with the Tsunami myself.

The only thing I really need to figure out is the pumps I will use in my setup. I am unsure about the aqualifter pump pulling thr RODI from 10 ft away, but then again, the line will be filled up to the pump, so in reality it will only have to pump a foot or so.

On the pump, I was surprised in that the Ehiem (sp?) 1260 I had used with a smaller system was unable to push it up an over my barrel when the water dropped below 1/2. Just keep in mind it is only a foot up when full but further when not full.

Sorry I do not have advice to a specific pump, I had a few laying around and just tried them until I found one that worked.

As an additional thought, I used a third container (12gal rubbermaid)to hold my top-off water. I use gravity to fill the 12gal and an aqualifter with a ATO and two floats to add the water to the sump. This way, if the ato fails and the pump remains on, I can take the 10gal of fresh in the sump without a flood. It would drop salinity a bit but it sure beats a wet floor. 10 gallons gives me several days of topoff, and I just turn a ball valve to fill the rubbermaid from my reservior once a week or so.

Hey Jeff, you should really work with Eric. He knows what he is doing with tons of experience and you will thank him afterward. It's definitely worth it for his expertise. I say this because I have been working with him for several years on two different big tanks and he has always been very fair and saved me from myself by doing it 'right' the first time getting the system set up with failsafes, simplicity, etc.

My two cents anyways...

The Tsunami ATO is great, I have been using mine for years with no issue. But like Adam is saying once the pump starts the flow it will not stop if you have a closed system to create a siphon.

The rest of my comments regarding gravity were just tongue in cheek. I decided to use gravity as much as I could in my water change system as I do not trust pumps, but did not like the gravity idea for the ATO because if the float valve stuck and dumped 110 gal of freshwater in my system it would not be good!

I agree the tsunami is a great ATO. I use a small 250gph genx pump to pump the top off water into my kalkreactor. I used a palstic tubing that I drilled a small 1/4'' hole right above my resovoir water level to insert a plastic needle valve to break the siphon once the pump shuts off. So far it has worked perfectly. The siphon breaks imediately after the pump shuts off.

I agree the tsunami is a great ATO. I use a small 250gph genx pump to pump the top off water into my kalkreactor. I used a palstic tubing that I drilled a small 1/4'' hole right above my resovoir water level to insert a plastic needle valve to break the siphon once the pump shuts off. So far it has worked perfectly. The siphon breaks imediately after the pump shuts off.

Hey Sarang, any way you can take a picture of that valve? I can't picture exactly what you are saying, but this is the exact setup that I am trying to do right now and I don't want to use the check valve that I have. The one I have is for a overflow box and an aqualifter...

Back