DolphinLvr's 180 build! A dream, becomming a reality!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks like you will be passing me by progress wise... and I have a two and half week overseas business trip this month so I will still be watching more than doing.

I hear yah! I hate having to leave this week, but there isnt much I can really do untill the weekend anyways. I know the wife would like to get the stand in the house, but that will have to wait till i get the electrical done this weekend.

Well got home from my business trip last night and wanted to get my American DJ strips mounted in the stand.

My heaters arrived yesterday and I found out my LED's will be in towards mid week next week as well as my 2 water storage tanks.

Tomorrow I will be running the 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits with the help of Kendog!

DSC_2069%20%28Medium%29.JPG

DSC_2070%20%28Medium%29.JPG

More progress today!

A VERY BIG Thanks goes out to Kendog for coming up and with me helping, got the 2 dedicated 20 AMP GFCI circuits runt today!

Again Thank You Very Much Ken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

What are those LED's rated at? I have been thinking about trying some of these out but I can never find too much information on them and how much I would need.

They look great!

Nice, I have sent the company a contact request. Hopefully they respond with some specs or data to back up the usage of LED's.

I have heard great things about them.

lifespan is 11 years if you run 12 hours a day at 100% power. 15 if you run them for 8 hours.

If you work out the price of 11 years of replacing the MH bulbs you are at the same price as what you pay for the LED's now add the MH fixture and ballast. If they work like they state from my readings they should last you 15 years and be less to own / operate than MH. After all you do not have the heat issues with LED's

Great choice in lighting, I hope what they say are true and we can get some specs on them shortly.

If you work out the price of 11 years of replacing the MH bulbs you are at the same price as what you pay for the LED's now add the MH fixture and ballast. If they work like they state from my readings they should last you 15 years and be less to own / operate than MH. After all you do not have the heat issues with LED's
I think if you do figure in your electricity bill, the difference in purchase price plus operating cost will be quite exciting in favor of the LEDs! I am still torn between the two and which way to go.

And what is the fan noise like?

To tell you the truth, the Fans were not on when I had the lights on. They are controlled by a thermosensor which will turn them on only if the lights get to a certain temp internally.

my guess is it is no louder than the fans on the back of a computer.

One of those things pay as you go (MH) or all up front (LED)

Personally I like paying upfront then nickel and dime me to death

Exactly, thats why I went with the LED's :D

I was able to convince the banker (Wife) and myself that the savings alone from having the initial setup. replacing the bulbs and the added electrical usage of MH would more than pay for these LED's after just a couple of years use.

Not to Mention that these units have a 1 year chassis warrenty and a 3 year LED, PCB warrenty. So if anything goes wrong, I can send to the distributor in New york not China or somewhere else.

Those LED set up's look sick! Hopefully you can provide some "real world" usage on them as we will get to see how well they grow marine life :D

The only negative I've seen with LED lighting is they loose 50% of there light at 18" in depth. I will try to find the webpage again and post it.

Those LED set up's look sick! Hopefully you can provide some "real world" usage on them as we will get to see how well they grow marine life :D

The only negative I've seen with LED lighting is they loose 50% of there light at 18" in depth. I will try to find the webpage again and post it.

Yes, I want to get ahold of a PAR meter since my setup will be totally new and I could provide PAR readings at different depths and intensity!

In all of my research, I havent come accross anything saying that they loose 50% of their light at 18"! I would love to see that if you can find it.

Jeff

when you talk about PAR it is good to have some point of refernce. here is the link melvesreef PAR data on different MHs:

http://melevsreef.com/pics/08/05/par_wflow_new_bulb.jpg

google for T5 PAR #s and you will find similar pics.

as far as 120W unit, 16,000k light temp:

2" depth - 1581 PAR
12" depth - 551 PAR
24" depth - 249 PAR

Thanks Rafal and let me be the first to welcome you to Reef Frontiers!!!!

Yes, I want to get ahold of a PAR meter since my setup will be totally new and I could provide PAR readings at different depths and intensity!

In all of my research, I havent come accross anything saying that they loose 50% of their light at 18"! I would love to see that if you can find it.

Jeff

Jeff...I just ordered one of these: Apogee MQ-200 Quantum meter

In part from reading this thread: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50126

I'm converting my NC28 from MH/PC's to LED's and want to do some before/after comparisons.

I'm also setting up a 180 and am very interested in your lights...I'd be happy to loan you my meter so we can see how they perform. Let me know.

Back