Dons 125

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Don will all this automation ever make bacon & eggs for breakfast:D
Nice work, on the control equipment, this is pretty cool stuff.

Scooterman said:
Hey Don will all this automation ever make bacon & eggs for breakfast:D
Nice work, on the control equipment, this is pretty cool stuff.

No way, my family already forgot how to turn on a light switch. Just gives me something to play with while my tank sits in limbo. I'm going to do a feeder system next but only use it when I'm not around. Feeding is something I enjoy in the morning with my coffee.

Don

After having another stupid accident and breaking my kalk reactor and ca reactor both in one swift move. I put this quick lazy mans kalk reactor together.

Don

jake65 said:
just curious Don, how did your reactors break?

Just like domino's. I slipped my knee broke the kalk reactor and the kalk reactor broke the ca reactor.
I was going to build a new ca reactor anyways and to be honest that flask is a great kalk reactor, I may just keep it.

Thanks All
Don

LCD finally on the way

I just got word that my lcd display has finally been shipped after waiting 4 months on back order. Should be here in the next few days. I waited for these to go into production just due to the fact they have 7 extra outputs built in. I'm going to use one for a buzzer/alarm and probably the other for leds to show at a glance equipment status.

Don

174166.jpg

I just got word that my lcd display has finally been shipped after waiting 4 months on back order. Should be here in the next few days. I waited for these to go into production just due to the fact they have 7 extra outputs built in. I'm going to use one for a buzzer/alarm and probably the other for leds to show at a glance equipment status.

Don

Very nice Don! Just in time for Christmas. Seems like everyone is getting their Christmas wishes this year:)

krish75 said:
Very nice Don! Just in time for Christmas. Seems like everyone is getting their Christmas wishes this year:)

Yours should be crawling by next chrismas. I remember only decorating the top 2/3 of the tree. Those were the greatest of all.

Don

Yours should be crawling by next chrismas. I remember only decorating the top 2/3 of the tree. Those were the greatest of all.

Don

:) Looking forward to it...Make sure you post us an update when you get your long anticipated piece. Take it easy McGuyver;)

Here is the begining design of the in wall control panel. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited:
don, ya cant help but notice youve been bitten by the reef keeping bug. I looked at the original pics as you set your tank up and the ones now. that beutiful stand you have made can no longer hold the equipment....lol I think it may be time for a larger tank....lol great job and awsome pics. steve

I finally got the little led display. Its very well built and even easier than I thought to get hooked up to the rs232 module. I also found out that 16 of these can run on the same 2 wire bus. After spending hours going through electronic catalogs finding just the right switches and leds for 3 panels the cost was going to be $800.
After watching my grandson trying to change the channel on the reef with the tv remote, the light bulb in my head turned on. This was one of the reasons I decided to use this set-up.
Along with all the hardwired IO's, the ocelot can see IR and X10. So basicly I dont need any switches or any more IO ports. Since my house has remote IR sensors in the ceiling for the AV system, I can use any old tv or vcr remote to control the tank and display. The second choice is just any old X10 remote on a unused house code. The X10 would be a great option for a basement system and remote displays up stairs. Now that thats figured out and brings the cost down to $50 per display, Im much happier with the idea. Since the tank doesnt actually use X10, my brain did not even think about it.
An example would be, If C-1on is received then show temp status on all displays. I also can fit the display in small elecrical boxes and just cut a outlet blank to fit the display.
Should be a good project for this holiday week-end.

Don

I didnt feel like making the mounting face. I did get a chance to play a little. So far Ive got it displaying anything that happens. The bottom line is what happened last and the top is the previous. I also figured out the start-up display.

Back