Dons halide fixture

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
This is the beginning of my new halide fixture fresh out of the press. The last layer will be the birds eye maple pictured. The ends wil be padauk. The lights will be two de250w halides maybe some moon lights.

Don

i have a blue cheek goby spits sand on everything and impossible to catch any ideas out ther!

Cool stuff. It will e fun to follow along on this tank for sure. I am a fellow wood nut. My stand now is Brazilian cherry in the works. Has a long way to go yet but you inspire me for sure. Thanks!

Cool stuff. It will e fun to follow along on this tank for sure. I am a fellow wood nut. My stand now is Brazilian cherry in the works. Has a long way to go yet but you inspire me for sure. Thanks!

"Brazilian cherry" is Jatoba beautiful timber. Ive got a load of it in my kiln for some chairs.

Don

Vaccum presses are amazing and it took experience for him to get it so right being square, The right size curve jig (i am sure he made that) and knowing how long to wait before releasing the pressure. So yeah, You rock Don. :)

Vaccum presses are amazing and it took experience for him to get it so right being square, The right size curve jig (i am sure he made that) and knowing how long to wait before releasing the pressure. So yeah, You rock Don. :)

Thank you, Yes the jig/form is the hard part. I made a big column from strips of 3/4 mdf and filled with spray foam. Then I turned the column down on the lathe to make it round.

Don

Here is a bad pic of the end caps going on. The boss prefers the straight grain maple so I did a little test patch to get a idea of how it would look.

Back