Dowflake not safe?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Boomer-

Thanks for the info and effort on locating a good source for Tetra. I tried calling a number of placing today after getting off the phone with a Tetra sales rep from my area. All were strike outs but one that I'm waiting to hear back from.

I also called univar 9 minutes after they closed (DOH!).

Oh btw, the sales rep said that the fcc food grade was about 20x's more expensive the the other choices and will not be available much longer. They are replacing it with something else.

I'm starting to wonder if I should just buy some from Two part solutions.

Greg

I have not has any luck with Univar so far. I was told the only Univar branches that carry the Tetre product are in California and at this point they are looking into wether or not they can sell a bag. The Fcc food grade is not available and is no longer being produced. It also costs alot from what I heard. When I get more info I will post.

Does Mallinkrodt mean anything to you guys. I heard mallbaker.com sells a food grade procuct. A third calcium soure?

Greg

Greg

I have not has any luck with Univar so far. I was told the only Univar branches that carry the Tetre product are in California and at this point they are looking into wether or not they can sell a bag. The Fcc food grade is not available and is no longer being produced. It also costs alot from what I heard. When I get more info I will post.

Does Mallinkrodt mean anything to you guys. I heard mallbaker.com sells a food grade procuct. A third calcium soure?

Greg

Greg

I spoke to univar in Kent WA. They will not sell me a bag but they wiil sell a full pallet. He said they will continue to carry the food grade but the tetra94 would suit our needs. He was supposed to call me pack for a single pallet price but never did. I have 75lbs of stock pile. Hopefully someone will come up with a new supplier by the time I run out.:)

Don

How much better is the Tetra over the old Dowflake? How much Bromide is in the older Dowflake? There is some 2006 Dowflake available at my local homedepot for $18/50lbs. I think I might just go buy some. All the prices on the tetra I have foung ran about $50/50lb although I never found a place to buy it!

Also can it be stored reasonably well/easy? Is it just a matter of keeping it dry by putting it in an old salt bucket with a lid?

Greg

I spoke to univar in Kent WA. They will not sell me a bag but they wiil sell a full pallet. He said they will continue to carry the food grade but the tetra94 would suit our needs. He was supposed to call me pack for a single pallet price but never did. I have 75lbs of stock pile. Hopefully someone will come up with a new supplier by the time I run out.:)

Don

Interesting, I spoke to a girl down in Kent and was told that with a business lisence I would be able to buy a 110Lb. barell for $130.
It works out to 1.18 lb. I chose to just stick with T.P.S. and get a simple 7lb tub at 2.90 a lbs. after shjipping. Its more manageable and will still last most reefers over a year.
Having a large tub of caustic chemicals in the garage with a curious four year old running around may not be the best idea.

Interesting, I spoke to a girl down in Kent and was told that with a business lisence I would be able to buy a 110Lb. barell for $130.
It works out to 1.18 lb. I chose to just stick with T.P.S. and get a simple 7lb tub at 2.90 a lbs. after shjipping. Its more manageable and will still last most reefers over a year.
Having a large tub of caustic chemicals in the garage with a curious four year old running around may not be the best idea.

It seems you get a different story from everyone at univar. I think a group buy would be a good idea but for single person having this much around is a waste. It sucks all the moisture out of the air so would be pretty difficuly to store alot. I'll call them back on Tues. I wouldnt mind storing a barrel of it in my hazmat chamber at work for locals that want it.

Don

It seems you get a different story from everyone at univar. I think a group buy would be a good idea but for single person having this much around is a waste. It sucks all the moisture out of the air so would be pretty difficuly to store alot. I'll call them back on Tues. I wouldnt mind storing a barrel of it in my hazmat chamber at work for locals that want it.

Don
I know a few of us in the North End would be happy to split up a barell with you and possibly others. :)

Well guys, I think I found some! There is a calcium chloride Tech grade under the name of Karimar. It comes out of Finland and is the TCE (technical chemicals europe) flake by Tetra. And this is the best part, it's only $18/50lb bag at a somewhat local store-paris farmers union. I don't know if you have any your way but you might want to check.
Greg

Don

I spoke to univar in Kent WA. They will not sell me a bag but they wiil sell a full pallet.

I'm not happy with that remark . The Tetra sales managaer said they would at any of the suppliers :(

Greg

How much Bromide is in the older Dowflake?

100 ppm vs a few thousand ppm in the new. 2006 should be fine.

Thanks for the other input on Tetra. Looks like I was kinda mislead :(

Did you or Don ask them who they sell it to locally or did they tell you there is no such thing, i.e., Wallmart, Home Deopt etc..

I called back this morning. They said they will only sell me a pallet in bags but will sell me a barrel. They will even be able to deliver it to my shop at no charge. I just faxed over my UBI and Hazmat Cert. so once they get them entered into their system I can place a order. I also have to flip the placard on my hazmat chamber from explosive to corrosive to meet local code before delivery.

Don

I also have to flip the placard on my hazmat chamber from explosive

Ah, what was in there before Don :D

Ive got one of those big DOD vaults with a containment floor. Dont get excited I just store gas, carb cleaner, acid and all the other assorted auto shop chemicals in there. It makes passing regular fire, osha and epa inspections a breeze.:)

I do have some draino, gas and ping pong balls.

Don

Last edited:
:lol:: Ok

draino

That is not Crystal Draino is it ?

draino, gas and ping pong balls

Hmm, NAPALM in the making :)

Ya, never tried it myself. I remember our team leader babbling about draino bombs the entire urgent fury flight in 83. Dont know if it really works but the babbling took the edge off the flight.:)

Don

Last edited:
There is a Drano bomb but it does not use gas and Ping-Pong balls. There are also Ping-Pong bombs, another beast. Drano bombs can be very dangerous and put you in the ICU burn ward if you don't know what you are doing. Drano bombs are now called Mail-Box bombs. There is a means of making NAPALM out of that stuff on your list, if you know what you are doing.

Boomer-
I did ask Tetra what stores carried there product. The somewhat local buisnesses they told me all turned out useless. Most were big compainies that sold to smaller ones and none of them even carried Tetra!?! All carried Dowflake however. Very frustrating indeed. One of these companies had an employee who was incredibly helpful however. It was this gentleman who had me call Paris Farmers Union because he believed they carried the Tetra. They are a small hardware type store and had bags of Kermira. 5 days later I finally found out from the Tetra sales rep that Kermira is a Tech Grade Tetra product out of Finland and he assured me it was the same as the other Tetra products.

Greg

That sales manager I talked for 1/2 hr made it sound like the suff was eveywehre, just call UNIVAR and they will fix your guys right up.

OK Greg thanks.

Back