Elos 160XL set up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fish room set up

Still excited about a dedicated fishroom. Tonight I built a couple of support stands... one for the fresh water holding tank and another for my sump. I built the holding tank stand as high as possible to facilitate a gravity feed system for saltwater mixing tank (TBD) and then flow into the sump. I also installed my RO filter and routed a line to the holding tank.

The holding tank is 65gal Norwesco plastic tank with fitting at bottom. I will install an ATO (auto top off) system in this tank as well as a LLC (liquid level control) in the sump.

If you look closely... under the holding tank there magically exists a drain line in the wall with a cap I can easily access for water changes, etc. Gotta luv it!!!

I see you had to get some SST accessories for the stands. I love that company and never mind supporting them. I think it will be good to go for the next big quake.. :)

I see you had to get some SST accessories for the stands. I love that company and never mind supporting them. I think it will be good to go for the next big quake.. :)

Yep. Holding tank stand is also bolted to wall for additional support. I could have gone all wood but this is much cleaner design as it yields more space and a wider footprint than traditional all wood construction unless you take the time to make lap joints. Here is a close up pic of the SST brackets that Eric is talking about. They are available at HD for all sorts of joints.

Now... let's move to the sump design!

what happens when your hot water tank needs service or replaced?

I was waiting for that question:D... and thanks for asking because this is the kind of stuff I want to get right the first time! No problem I think... the plan is to simply drain my fresh water holding tank (drain in wall directly below it) and lift out the wood stand. I will have a few appropriately placed union fittings so I can easily disconnect the tank from drain. I figure this might happen once since it is a fairly new hot water tank and it should only be a 5 minute job to remove. The sump/filter will not have to be touched so the circulation system should be undisturbed.:exclaim:

lol i had it fresh on my mind because i remodeled a bathroom/laundry room in a basement for a lady the other day and she spent way to much money on this room. (Pretty much if i am there it means they are going all out) I had a cabnet shop build a door for hot water tank access. they built it, installed it and 30 days later her hot water tank popped. i never check there measurement but the hack and slash plumber went in there and tore out his hickory frame, all my tile base and the tile trim that connected to the shower wall next to it. for a damn hot water tank.... lets just say the repair was 3 times the cost of the hot water tank:)

btw good luck an i am tagging along!

Last edited:
Whats your plan for lighting? I imagine the tank is going to be upstairs? what pump are you going to use? have you considered exhaust?

BTW.... Thats One BAD A$$ tank bro! im gonna one day save enough $$$$ to go with a glass tank... Atleast a glass front.. ill be tagging along...Cheers!!!

ME steel stand

Well I got the stand done and it's off to someone else for the poly coat. This is going to be one sweat set-up for sure. See pics below.....More to follow..

Custom steel stands made to your spec or have me design it. Feel free to drop and email if anyone needs and steel work.

Thanks
Eric

Attachments

• mssteelstand 001.jpg
    mssteelstand 001.jpg
    36.5 KB
  • mssteelstand 002.jpg
    mssteelstand 002.jpg
    49.6 KB
Well I got the stand done and it's off to someone else for the poly coat. This is going to be one sweat set-up for sure. See pics below.....More to follow..

Custom steel stands made to your spec or have me design it. Feel free to drop and email if anyone needs and steel work.

Thanks
Eric
Looks awesome... let's get it home on Monday if possible! I really like the mitered corners...:cool: a request that I didn't think would happen and at no extra charge! Gonna be sweet. Thanks Eric! :D

Whats your plan for lighting? I imagine the tank is going to be upstairs? what pump are you going to use? have you considered exhaust?

BTW.... Thats One BAD A$$ tank bro! im gonna one day save enough $$$$ to go with a glass tank... Atleast a glass front.. ill be tagging along...Cheers!!!

Hey ReefferMan, sorry for the long pause before replying. This tank project is going sloooow but for all the right reasons. Planning, doing it right, and not charging ahead on things that can wait.

One reason for the delay in replying is that I don't know exactly what my lighting scheme will be. I was hoping that by the time I need to make the decision on the lighting, some new products will be available. Specifically, I am thinking about the IC Reef Illumination pendent lighting 4ft length or the Geiesmann 1200mm Infinity. I am still really infatuated by LED systems but have yet to find one that I am confident with and I like.

Pump? Should be a just a single pump located in my fish room one floor below my display. Haven't settled on the exact unit but will post it soon. Flow will be with two MP40 Vortechs. I have a couple mini tunze that I can augment too but am trying to keep the display as 'clean' as possible. No CL this time. Last one had 4 CL all running on individual Iwaki pumps. This set up will be much more energy efficient. :D Note the 'green' grin!

Thanks
Eric

Hey take care of my stand... it's upside down!

I'll have the pump specs to you soon and the stand is fine upside down for sure. That's just the way it ended up in the truck. I hope to have it back by the first of the week and then we'll get it over to your place and do the decking and get that really nice tank of yours off the ground...

Thanks Eric

Steel stand

Looks awesome... let's get it home on Monday if possible! I really like the mitered corners...:cool: a request that I didn't think would happen and at no extra charge! Gonna be sweet. Thanks Eric! :D

Ya the mitered corners allow for a much cleaner look when finished and as the stand needs to be completely closed and sealed from moisture this was just the way to go. Glad you like it. It's a bit more work but saves on other time when having to seal open ends with caps.

I'll have the pump specs to you soon and the stand is fine upside down for sure. That's just the way it ended up in the truck. I hope to have it back by the first of the week and then we'll get it over to your place and do the decking and get that really nice tank of yours off the ground...

Thanks Eric

Just kidding this stand will support a truck!

Back