Emergency Blood Patch Near Eyes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Seaboy_HPT

This is kind of an emergency. I need help getting an idea what this is. Diamond Goby has been in tank for 2 years. About 2 days ago it started developing red patches under the skin near one eye. Some times it seems to go away then reappear. Today its on both sides! What is this? Looks like its under the skin. Goby is acting funny, not eating as much, takes big pause when breathing. Generic fish anatomy dose not show any organs right there. But looks like something is infected or inflamed. Help Please! Mr.-Goby-Eye.jpg

It could be a variety of things. Since the gills appear to be inflamed, I would start with the water itself. Step one is a full water test for the usual suspects: SG, PH, KH, nitrates, ammonia, and temp. If those all test out fine, it could possibly be a contaminant of some sort, in which case I would run some carbon. Low levels of dissolved oxygen could also be the issue if there isn't enough flow + surface agitation. Finally, it could be some sort of disease. Has anything been added recently?

Frist thing I would do is get him out of the DT and into a hospital tank. Then I would start my research!

Thanks, I went out for a while and it looks redder then before. He is now in the front of the tank, and I can see that both patches on both sides seem to be linked to two holes in the front of his head. (Not Hole in the Head). But like nostrals or something. What do fish like that have in the front of thier face where a nose would normally be? That seems to be irritated or inflamed. Any ideas?

Also, my skimmer was not working well the last week, bubbling but not skimming. Tried pulling it apart twice, finally working again. I am wondering if the water got too contaminated with fish waste in that time? I thought about Oxygen but its a 50 gallon tank, wet/Dry with skimmer, UV and filters. Get pointing up inside display tank to break up the water tension.

Probably not a dissolved oxygen issue then. I second the previous recommendations of putting him in to a hospital tank if you have one. Then try to run some tests I mentioned to try to get an idea of what is going on.
Are there any other fish in the tank?

They probably are nostrils. Could have your fish ran into a rock head first or smacked into the tank? By your skimmer not skimming, it sounds like a contamination of some sort. I would do a waterchange just in case.

Your Wet/dry may be causing High Nitrates.
Best if you run tests on your water so water quality can be eliminated from the equation.

You have tested after you skimmer malfunction???? Right??

I did the tests yesterday when the skimmer was not working. I fixed it a few hours ago so its going full blast now pulling a lot of pale water out.

Unfortunately, I live in a small apartments so I don't have room for extra fish tanks, pumps, and other stuff, so no quarantine.

yes, you are right, I just realized those are his nostrils. So I don't think he hit his head, maybe water or something he ate. These gobies are different, they sift though the sand with their mouth to find bits of food. So a lot goes in there and the sand sort of comes out near the back of the gills.

One though was that something got stuck, but that would not explain both side getting red.

Have one other fish in there, Cleaner Shrimp, Pepermint, sea star, and various snails. All them seem to be doing fine. Nothing new was added. Food is usually frozen Mysis which I rinse in salt water first to get rid of the stuff that its frozen in. The Goby actually likes these more then sifting through the sand so he normally waits for that first then dose the sand thing during the day.

Whatever it is, seems to be tied in with his gills. Can parasites do that and get past the gills that fast? I can try to feed him medicated food since he likes the Mysis, but he didn't each much this morning.

its sound like bacteria infection. I would guess get some medications for him before it's too late. I can't remember the name of this issue as it happened to me before.

Did you test for ammonia? Sounds like ammonia poisoning or some sort of bacterial infection. I would try posting on Lee's forum.

Also, regardless of the cause, you will want to feed your fish more nutritious food then mysis. Mysis have virtually no nutritional value, and should at most be a tiny part of the fishes diet. Pick up something like rods reef food(regular recipe) which is full of nutritious ingredients. The best way to keep your fish healthy is to feed them better food. I have only lost two fish in 7 years with this approach(not counting healthy ones that jumped out).

Did you test for ammonia? Sounds like ammonia poisoning or some sort of bacterial infection. I would try posting on Lee's forum.

Lee will not respond, he has moved on to better himself,
OP say he tested his water, but hasnt posted any results, good or bad.
Sorry I cant offer any real help, I am not educated in fish disease.
Good luck

O on the ammonia test, yesterday and today.

Its really strange, both sides were blood red about an hour ago, now one side is blood red, the other has calmed down to a pink. How is that even possible? Fluctions by the hour? I know this sounds stupid, but is it possible he has a parasite or worm moving around inside his head?

Also, regardless of the cause, you will want to feed your fish more nutritious food then mysis. Mysis have virtually no nutritional value, and should at most be a tiny part of the fishes diet.

Are you sure you didn't mean brine shrimp? They have almost no nutritional value. Mysis is very high in protein one of the highest out there. More the most dry food, pellets etc. I have had fish live for 10 years on the stuff very fat and healthy.

Here are a couple sites that have info on bacterial infections and parasites.
See if anything sounds like it could be it.

Identification, Causes & Treatments for Bacterial Diseases In Marine Aquarium Fish
Feature Article: Identifying Parasitic Diseases in Marine Aquarium Fish - A Hobbyist

The best way to get help is to list all water parameters, and pictures.
A diagnosis can not really be made on description alone.
We can only speculate, however if even just a 10 gal tank, you need to set up a hospital tank. This fish can not be treated in the display tank.

How is your little guy today? I am following along and hoping he gets better fast.

Well, he seems a little better. Still has those red patches, changed from blood red to red. Was not eating at all yesterday, hide most of the time in his goby cave. Today he ate a little bit, seemed a lot more alert instead of staring into space. It's possible something is stuck in his throat. He seemed to spit some of the food, but kept going for sifts in the sand when he though I was not looking. Hanging outside the cave most of the day which is a good sign.

I am glad he seems better. I hope this is something that resolves on its own. Very strange.

Also, regardless of the cause, you will want to feed your fish more nutritious food then mysis. Mysis have virtually no nutritional value, and should at most be a tiny part of the fishes diet. Pick up something like rods reef food(regular recipe) which is full of nutritious ingredients. The best way to keep your fish healthy is to feed them better food. I have only lost two fish in 7 years with this approach(not counting healthy ones that jumped out).

What gives? I have heard that you should feed mysis shrimp and that brine shrimp has no nutitional value. Rods Reef Original formula has mysis shrimp in it so now I am getting confused. I have never heard that Mysis shrimp has no nutritional value.

Back