Enough Flow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jiddy

Isnt this always the question: Enough Flow in my tank? I currently run two CL's on seperate sides of my tank, they are PVC squares with four outlets each running on a Mag-18. Well the design isnt the greatest, it sure isnt as pretty as the vortechs would be. I also, currently run a small PH on the bottom of the tank to stir up the deterius behind the rocks, and i get a small amt. of flow from the sump return Iwaki.

Anyways, my point is, how many Vortechs would i need to have enough flow in my tank which is 72"L 30"H 24"W if i wanted to take out the CL's?

(All i keep is softies and a few other VHO happy corals)

Not sure Jid...Especially since the vortechs can't be swiveled yet like the Tunze's (atleast I don't think) That's a long tank...Maybe Josh might be able to help seeing he's been running the vortech:)

Actually i think mine are Mag12's with four outlets (im not at home right now) but i do know that i dont have any flow coming out of them really, my tank is 30"T and the sand on the bottom makes "craters" but you dont see the sand flying around where they get hit at

Mag pumps are not really a pressure rated pump. The more you split them off, the worse off you are gonna be. I think you could try at least 2 of the Vortech's and see what happens.
They sure seem to kick some serious butt. Have you seen their video??

Yea Charlie, the video looks imprezzive. My worry is i wont get enough varied flow with them though

Jiddy, I have 2 Tunzes (1 on either end of the tank) pointing at the same spot in the middle of my tank (as Sherman suggested) and it is really amazing how much random coverage I get with it. Yeah, there are a few deadspots, but they are filled in by my closed loop that shoots from the front of the tank as well as my sea-swirl. I've got about 5,000 gph now and figured with 3 vortechs, properly placed (@ 9,000 gph) may possibly do the trick. If not, maybe you can do something similar to what I did with a small cl just to catch the deadspots for you...Have you seen my cl setup?

Alot of blah blah blah going on here (and also a few changes)so you could just skip through to see the pics if you want to check it out. I wanted to use all Tunzes because I didn't like the look of pvc plumbing for a closed loop, but figured out a way to hide the intake and made a pretty cool return that doesn't bother me and catches the spots that needs the extra attention. It may work well to throw in a few vortechs, but it may also be cool to have one of your small cl running to catch some nuicance spots:)

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13588

Rgibson- How do you arive at the conclusion that it would "require 3"?

It seems to me that it would be entirely about the rockwork...

I could see 1 or maybe up to 8 all produceing the same circulation depending on the rock layout.

Remember, talking about things like GPH is simply an irrelivant matter. Velocity and turbulance are MUCH more relivant.

I am personally a big fan of these vortech units. Much better looking and less bulky in a tank than a typical nasty noisy water heating closed loop. For similar flow acheived by closed loop, the vortechs will actually pay for themselves in savings on your electric bill in a fairly short time (obviously depends on many factors).

I would almost bet that two on opposing ends of the tank, alternating back and forth, would be more than good...

p.s. closed loops are not noisey, at least mine isnt

Willy, I could also see 2 of them easily being adquate for the whole tank.

And yes, that was unfair to imply that all closed loops are loud. Just the last few systems I worked on had large pumps beneith the tanks that made steady annoying "whirring" noises, and radiated lots of heat. I know that not all of them are like that.

p.s. closed loops are not noisey, at least mine isnt

Mine either:)

Here's how my flow is setup now. (Don't mind the color of the photo...It was a quickie) But the Tunze to the left is 1600gph, the Tunze to the right is 1850 gph on a controller, the sea-swirl in the center at the top is about 750 gph and the 2 lockline out front is for the cl running off of a mag950. If I throw flakes in the tank, they will never pass the same spot twice or rest anywhere so I figure mission accomplished:)

If you used 2 Tunze pumps one at each end of the tank you can angle them in ways the vortech can not do,so you well need 3 vortech to do the same as 2 Tunzes.For the people who would like to get a vortech pump i would let some time pass like 6 to 8 mos you will be glad you did.

Back