? Euroreef Standpipe ~ DIY ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RandyStacyE

IMD%5C150%5CER2313.jpg

I'm in the middle of building a skimmer and it's about time to plan the stand pipe. I've been checking the dimensions of PVC, ABS, CPVC ... to find 2 pipes/sizes that slide into each other like this.

Does anyone know of how to do this or how it was done?

Check the electrical dept at HD. The have sch 40 grey pvc like that. I think it is a repair coupling. The smaller tube comes with o-rings and slips into the larger one. I also have read somewhere that class 200 pvc will fit in sch40 pvc, or vice versa, not sure what size though.

rivdog - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

RandyStacyE - not sure if this will help, but check out the DIY SKimmer Workshop - page 8. Scroll down to posts 115 and 118.

Hope it helps a bit! Good luck, and let us see the skimmer after it is built!

Well it just so happens that 1" sch40 pvc slides very close inside 1.25" sch 40 pvc. You can cut a groove into the 1" pipe to accept a o-ring for a seal. If you don't feel like going thru all that trouble you can wrap teflon tape around the 1" pipe to give it a little friction. Good luck.

I have seen the standard PVC repair couplings at Lowes, they are just so big and bulky. I'd like to either find a more slim-line type or make my own. I have the use of a lathe so making O-ring grooves shouldn't be a problem.

I’m thinking 1 pipe fitting pretty close tolerance into another. I can make an O-ring groove on the end of the smaller pipe and a grove on the inner end of the larger one. This should make a very sturdy adjustable standpipe and slim-line as humanly possible.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=146279&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

This is a drawing of what I had in mind. More work than I would prefer, but a sure shot way to make it long lasting and maintenance free.

So far the closest tolerances are:

1-1/2" Schedule 80---------2" Schedule 80----0.013
1-1/4" Schedule 40---------1" Schedule 40----0.040
1-1/2" SDR-----------------1-1/4" SDR--------0.100
1-1/2" Schedule 40---------2" Schedule 40----0.147

Last edited:
RandyStacyE - try posting the link, instead of linking the picture. RC puts up an ad instead of the pic, if that's what you were trying to do.

rivdog, you are the shiznit! That is exactly what I'm looking for. I was about to leave for Lowes to check the ID and OD of their pipe to see if that would work.
What I'm doing is identical to to what you listed. Thanks for that post just in time too!

If you find any class 200 pvc, letme know where . Ive been checking #s also and think the 80 sounds like a good fit if it's not too tight. What is SDR?

Honestly I don't know. I have been searching and compiling a list (using Excel) of all dimensions of all the pipe sizes I can find.
I found this site to be the most useful and it has the "SDR" whatever it is.
http://www.harvel.com/pipepvc-sdr-dim.asp

The numbers I listed above go like this:
Smaller pipe -----Larger Pipe ----- and their tolerance

There are some decent plumbing supply shops near by I'll have to hit them since Lowes only carries Sch 40

SDR: Standard Dimension Ratio is a standard which ensures the same pressure rating for all diameters of pipe. Whether 1" or 24" in size, pipe with a SDR-21 rating have the same pressure rating, such as the common 200 psi (Class 200). Other common sizing is SDR-32.5 Class 125, SDR-26 Class 160 and SDR-13.5 Class 315.

Class 315, Class 200, Class 125, etc.: The "pressure class" distinction tells you that the pipe is designed to withstand normal pressures 315 psi, 200 psi, 125 psi, etc. The industry standard is to have a built-in safety factor of 2:1 for pressure surges, so a Class 200 pipe could probably withstand 400 psi water hammer (shock) pressures.

Schedule 40/80: The "Schedule" distinction relates to actual wall thickness, not pressure class. As pipe size increases, the relative strength of Schedule pipe decreases; for example, 2" Sch.40 pipe is a higher pressure class than 8" Sch. 40. Sch.80 is gray in color and slightly thicker, and is used primarily for threaded fittings.

PIP, Sewer Pipe and Other Types: Other types/sizes of pipe (except Polyethylene, described below) are not designed for pressurized irrigation systems and should not be used. Try not to use some goofy type of pipe that you "got from a friend", etc.

The pipe that 1-1/4" slides into is "SDR 21" I found it today in 20' lengths. I'm loosing enthusiasm. I think I quit. However bulky the prefab ones are you can't beat the $7.00 convenience.

Back