Expanding the closed loop for more flows

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tvdao

I have a 150g with centered overflow. There is a Eheim pump (1262submersible) that power the 5 returns drilled high in the overflow. Is that enough flow, especially when they located in the center. If not, can I add a external pump (iwaki type) and have the intake plumb back to the sump rather than the tank itself. I haven't set it up but the previous owner added powerheads (3) in addition to the closed loop, make me believe that the closed loop alone wasn't adequate. Thanks for the advices.

Ok FYI:
A closed loop is just that, water is suctioned from the same source as the outlets, ie. suction from main tank, to pump & then returned to the main tank. Your dealing with a return from the sump that isn't a CL.
So most likely you would either leave that alone & add a CL which would increase your flow greatly or maybe add some other type internal water movement.
I used that same pump for a return & it worked great but I also had lots more flow added to the tank & mine was a 125g.

I would probably put the sump return on two outlets that go over the top on each side & use the 5 outlets for a CL return. This would be a little tricky to do with it already set-up though. Lots of options to consider, I'd read up & ask away before doing anything. Another words, what do you plan on keeping as in fish, corals & what types, how much do you plan on going with this? LOL better plan now that wish later! ;)

Back