filtersock cleaning

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tankrupt

just recieved my 100 micron filter sock,didnt know they existed till coming here,now the question , how do i clean it? I just bleach my f/w gear, but would be worried to try that on my reef. should this be cleaned before initial use? Thanks Steve.

Thanks Don, dont think i can use the washer as we have six dogs,mrs t and i really dont mind the hair but might be a bit ugly in our tanks(can lead to hair algae i heard) so im back to the river and a flat rock,work work work a reefers work is never done

I agree with Don. They way I cleaned mine though was just with a hose, but it was because I never used it on my tank regularily, but only when I wanted to strain some water from out of my sump when vaccuming the the sump and re-using the water:)

Mine gets rinsed in the utility sink prior to going in the washer. It is important to rinse it thoroughly prior to use. I learned about sizing on the socks the hard way :).

Make sure you rins out the bags before you wash them!! I hear that they can screw up your washing machines. also if your sock has a tie string on it i would tie them together. I have heard about them getting pulled out of sock and getting stuck in the holes in the washing machine!

digging up old thread

I learned about sizing on the socks the hard way :).

If you have time and do not mind could you ellaberate on this comment? I want to order for my return lines and skimmer outlet mainly for micro bubbles, but have never used nor needed one until now. I am also curious about how to secure to the lines as they are no more than a few inches and I keep seeing ones for 4 - 7 inches. There are some with drawstrings that look like they would work, but am skeptical that they would hold with all of the flow and all. What are your suggestions? I also see that they should be seated in such a way so they do not overflow outside of the sump....how does this work.

Thanks sooo much, MH

If you have time and do not mind could you ellaberate on this comment? I want to order for my return lines and skimmer outlet mainly for micro bubbles, but have never used nor needed one until now. I am also curious about how to secure to the lines as they are no more than a few inches and I keep seeing ones for 4 - 7 inches. There are some with drawstrings that look like they would work, but am skeptical that they would hold with all of the flow and all. What are your suggestions? I also see that they should be seated in such a way so they do not overflow outside of the sump....how does this work.

Thanks sooo much, MH

Sizing is a fiber binding chemical kind of like starching your shorts. If you dont get it ALL out prior to using the sock your skimmer will go nuts and flood.

Don

Sizing is a fiber binding chemical kind of like starching your shorts. If you dont get it ALL out prior to using the sock your skimmer will go nuts and flood.

Don

OK great, understood. What about the fitment issue I mentioned? How do you secure one to line lines output without it blowing off? Anything else I should know before using one...or three in my case?

Thanks Again, MH

OK great, understood. What about the fitment issue I mentioned? How do you secure one to line lines output without it blowing off? Anything else I should know before using one...or three in my case?

Thanks Again, MH

Unless your going to install real sock holders your going to have to just rig something up. In my case its a zip tie and a plastic squeeze clamp.

Don

some filter socks come with a holding thingy that you can just put them in and won't fall ...that's how mine is.
The way i clean mine is, i boil some water and then i just let the boiling water go through it, after that i just wash it in the washing machine and let it dry.
Steve (wrightme43) told me that you can also use a little bit of bleach or washing soda or baking soda to help them get white again :).

Don, i just found this out yesterday...almost as soon as i installed my new socks(2), my skimmer flooded..i had no idea what caused this until i saw your reply....i didn't wash mine..i stuck them right in the tank

Don, i just found this out yesterday...almost as soon as i installed my new socks(2), my skimmer flooded..i had no idea what caused this until i saw your reply....i didn't wash mine..i stuck them right in the tank

Dont you hate when that happens. :)

Don

aahh dood,i'm sorry to hear that

100 micron is smaller then 30 and 60 right?

my lfs has i think 30 60 and 100 the 100's are bigger tho

looking for a small one

i am pretty sure the 30 and 60 micron are smaller..they allow less to pass through them...(i may be wrong, but i am 90% sure)

Back