First Macro Shots with new lens

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MarineTeng

Reef Padawan
The new lens, the Tamron 90mm SP AF Di
I'm still working on getting good reef ones, but here's a couple of my better ones that are not reef shots
My cat's eye
PeppersEye.jpg

My best bug shot
FirstBugMacro.jpg

All my reef aquarium ones were kinda blurry and blue, but i just read my nikon d50 manual and finally know how to actually change the white balance with the preset setting, i'm waiting till my lights go on again

the tank shots are still a bit blurry, got the white balance fixed, for some reason i can't get it to focus well through the glass, even on manual

Alright here are my shots from today, starting with another bug one and then my reef ones, these are out of probably 200 shots played alot with white balance and all are edited only for white balance and exposure compensation,
on a side note for white balance, when i'd use to the preset setting it'd make it would take out too much blue for my liking, as my stuff is kinda blue as it is, still always working on making it look as it is in real life
here's the bug
Bug2.jpg

here's the edited shot
RainbowPalys.jpg

original shot - notice how unblue this one is, it's under 14k mh
RainbowPalysOriginal.jpg

other reef shots
Monti Digi
MontiporaDigita.jpg

Orange Zoa Main colony part shot
OrangeZoas2.jpg

a Frag of the Orange Zoas
OrangeZoas.jpg

And my Ricordia Yuma
RicordiaYuma-1.jpg

thanks for the compliment, the pics still aren't as sharp as i'd like them to be... like blazer's, so any tips on that would be appreciated, you can tell they're more blurry on the orange zoa frag pic since it's a smaller crop from the RAW image,
I seem to be having a lot more trouble making it sharp in my tank since the crop size of my bug pics are about the same as the frag, but they're much better pictures
I am having trouble visually making it focus in tank which could be why this is happening, i don't know why even with manual focus there really isn't a sharp image through the viewfinder when i'm adjusting the focus, i'm not having any trouble with this on stuff other than my tank

That's a gross bug.
Oh and that other incredible photography... thank you for sharing. I LOVE THE THE monti Digi!

Last edited:
lol yes, i agree it is kinda ugly but it's still cool to see it that close, plus it was the only one that i could find that would land, i saw a bumble bee but it went in a flower for 2 seconds then flew off, these fly/little bees seem to hold still a bit more, i can't wait till summer when there are more out, or go to the butterfly house in Seattle

Seattle has a butterfly house. Do tell.:) I didn't realize that.

Victoria's Crystal Gardens has one. They also have many beautiful tropical birds and plants. I would love to go back there and do some shooting. If you get to Victoria BC do visit with your camera. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
For tips make sure your read thru all of shermans photo posts, he has a lot of tips on taking good reef pics. For some basic tips, make sure you are using a good tripod, the cheap ones let the camera rock when the shutter actuates when there is a big lens installed. Also make sure your iso is at 200, your tank pics look pretty noisy. Try the cloud setting on your white balance, it gave me the best colors with my D50. Also ensure that your lens is perpindicular to the glass, as shooting thru it at any angle will distort the details. Hope that helps!

Back