First Storm of the Year (PNW)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

most people dont worry till its to late....

if you live in a area that loses power offten (1-3 times a year) you need to invest.

u dont know how nice it is to sit here on the the computer with the rest of the house silent... and the tank runing... like nothing ever happen...

In our neighborhood most people have generator's, I have seen at least 3 power outages lasting over a week since I have moved there (18 years), and many of shorter duration. The funny part is the power will come back on and generators will continue to run for hours, we get so comfortable that we do not realize the power is back on. We have TV, refrigeration, lights, heat, computer and most importantly the tanks!

At my house sometimes we forget that the power is even out, I know I have caught myself flipping a light switch that is not on one of our generator ran curcuits and wondering why the light is not coming on!

Last edited:
If you have the money! The boxes are $100 to $500 each for a small home unit and the electricians charge too. Ask Don to modify our generators for propane or NG and hook up transfer boxes for us. He must have a spare couple grand laying around for a good cause:lol::lol::lol:

angry-smiley-046.gif

My 8 breaker box cost $100 at HD and came with a video. It was simple and took less than a hour to install. Even someone like Mike can do it.:)

Don

Nah, they are pretty simple, I installed ours and I am a girl:D! Just read and follow the directions.

:lol:
Men dont read instructions. Those go in the trash, thats part of unpacking the box and spreading the pieces all over the living room floor in preparation to watch the video. We watch the video if it comes with one. That way we can put off doing it for another hour. Then we tear it all apart, swear at it for awhile, then go watch the video again. A little more swearing and its done. Easy!

Don

:lol:
Men dont read instructions. Those go in the trash, thats part of unpacking the box and spreading the pieces all over the living room floor in preparation to watch the video. We watch the video if it comes with one. That way we can put off doing it for another hour. Then we tear it all apart, swear at it for awhile, then go watch the video again. A little more swearing and its done. Easy!

Don

Yeah, I know, that is why I installed it, got tired of the swearing:lol:! Actually I wired our entire house while we were building it all from just reading the little pamphlets that Lowes provides on DIY. Even passed state inspection! No swearing involved (OK some swearing when I was lazy and couldn't find the wire strippers and used the exacto knife and sliced my thumb open!)

Yeah, I know, that is why I installed it, got tired of the swearing:lol:! Actually I wired our entire house while we were building it all from just reading the little pamphlets that Lowes provides on DIY. Even passed state inspection! No swearing involved (OK some swearing when I was lazy and couldn't find the wire strippers and used the exacto knife and sliced my thumb open!)

Good job Kris!

I ran my own natural gas lines and furnace. Part of our sickness, reefers are willing to try about anything as long as swearing and/or injury is allowed.

Part of our sickness, reefers are willing to try about anything as long as swearing and/or injury is allowed.

this is why I don't deserve to be a reefer because I am just SO not into that stuff (the DIY stuff, not the swearing, which I do all the time).

The weather alerts I get via e-mail look like they have downgraded the severity of this storm slightly.

I got in touch with home last night (I am in Ontario on business this week) and they said they are prepared for the worse. I really hate not being there with my tanks when they may need me. Hopefully I have covered all bases with the hubby and son.

I had no idea this thread was going on. I started another. I wish I could delete it the thread I started.
I am hoping all work together and support each other like they did in past. Safety in numbers so to speak. Please work on a support buddy in case you have a accident.
If not you it could be your friend. Please work together. My 155 gallon tub/with lid is in Seattle area if someone needs it for such a plan. I would have to pester a friend. But if it prevents someone from losing livestock its worth it. Again please work together, communicate, build a back up plan. I miss people from last storm. I hope they come back.

My plans are to buy a backup computer battery.
And look into a converter and a car battery to operate only a small heater and an air pump ( Sand bed) and a powerhead.

The most electricity would be the heater and my tank being 180 takes 24 hours to get down a few degress normally.

I have never had it go out more than 6 hours in the last 12 years (knock on wood)

:)

Paul

From what I have heard and read, that you are allowed and not against the law to run a generator during power outages.

Also, from my experiences from last years storm. Blanketing your tank with a comforter or anything to insulate it helps the temp big time.

Also, what i did before was hook up my inverter to my car, and run my car from time to time so that you will not loose charge and damage car battery.

but this time I will buy a generator. For 250 bucks, i think its worth it. I lost a lot of corals last year and the emotion and stress i have experienced, makes it no brainer for me to invest in a generator.

Last edited:
Also, another thing to thinker about, is where your heater is located. Most of the time, when there is power outages, we run our tanks in the "minimum mode". That means maybe a single pump and a several heaters.

Now, if your heater is in the sump then you have to run the return pump.

Also there are cases that my return pump stops working because water level in the sump is too low. Then if this is the case and if your heater is in the sump. Then you will have temp drop in your main tank.

It would be nice to keep your heater/s in the main tank.

So far I'm not feeling this big wind storm. No wind in Edmonds this morning, no wind in Seattle this afternoon.

There are some power outages already in Pierce County. I woek in kent and i see the wind is getting stronger up here now.

Back