First Storm of the Year (PNW)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Its getting stronger here in Seattle where i work, and we are having fluctuations right now. Im in Leschi Area (lake washington)

I work on the 48th floor in downtown Seattle and we are swaying all over the place. I'm getting a little nauseated... :|

Just got power back, was out a little more than an hour, way out yonder in them thar foothills (beyond Kent, Covington/Black Diamond area)

Glad had the generator, the corals that had grown out of the water a bit, were sitting high and dry without the returns running. A whole new problem :>) DonW is right as usual, the ext cords are a pain, going to install the transfer switch

Trees are swaying and leaves blowing off the trees pretty good at my place in Snohomish. A couple light flickers, but no power outage yet. I'm told we are in a convergence zone up here, so wouldn't doubt I'll loose power sometime today.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone that it doesn't turn out to be as bad as the one earlier this year...:)

Ohh.. one new investment I made this year was a UPC backup for my ACIII and router. If I loose power, I get an e-mail on my phone. It's kind of a neat feature b/c then I just need to get my butt home and plug in the generator or call my neighbor to do it for me. Still doesn't beat the auto mega generators that turn on as soon as you loose power automatically, but still kind of a neat feature nonetheless.

anybody in the whidbey island area that feels they might need to bring stuff over if power goes out shoot me a pm for my contact info, I've got a big generator.

Ohh.. one new investment I made this year was a UPC backup for my ACIII and router. If I loose power, I get an e-mail on my phone. It's kind of a neat feature b/c then I just need to get my butt home and plug in the generator or call my neighbor to do it for me. Still doesn't beat the auto mega generators that turn on as soon as you loose power automatically, but still kind of a neat feature nonetheless.

I am going to go pick up a generator this evening. I am just going to get one of the 2000 inverter generators. Enough to run the essentials in the tank and a couple lights in the house.

We didn't lose power at all last year, but I don't want to take any chances.

We have power but just lost the cable........:eek::mad::evil::mad::evil::mad::evil::mad::evil::mad::evil::mad:
Scott

Well,

In Bothell, we lost power around 5pm and was restored around 630pm. My Guardian 13,000kw automatic standby generator (natural gas) worked perfectly. Generator came on within 10 seconds of power loss. Lighted the entire house and the fish tank as well as the QT tanks in the garage. I am very pleased with the generator so far.

Kirk

Oh yeah,

I have a 5500 watt gas generator (Briggs and Stratton engine) with heavy duty power cords for sale. Unit was just serviced and has a brand new carburetor. Any interest, please send me a PM.

Kirk

Kirk, sounds like you have yourself a great system.

I lost power for a while too, and had a couple of things not turn themselves back on properly when the power came back: first, the overflow from my cube to the sump had a syphon break and air built up in the top so the sypon did not restart. When the power came back on the cube almost flooded but I caught it in the nick of time.

The second thing was the auto-topoff pump. For some reason it did not restart itself either and my sump level got ~5" lower than it should have been.

Not anything too serious but it could have been worse and I feel like I don't ever want to go out of town in case the power goes out again.... :|

Jan,

You are welcome to stop by anytime to take a peak at my system.

Jan and Paul, if we ever lose power for several days, you are more than welcome to store some corals in one of my tanks.

Kirk

8 hours and counting...

Well power here in the middle of no-where, just ouside Arlington and Marysville, has been out for 8+ hours. The tanks (3 of them) have been cozy since 7PM, via a 5500W generator. After the reef was happy, we went out and bought more extension cord to power the lights and fridge(and cable modem and wireless router!!!). (And we have littlle babies, dressed in flannel sleepers - also cozy) (our fish are pampered!!!) (as are the children - I'm not inhuman)

BUT the big bummer is that the entire neighborhood 100 yards from me has FULL POWER... arrrgh!

That God for my generator.

Don

Well,

In Bothell, we lost power around 5pm and was restored around 630pm. My Guardian 13,000kw automatic standby generator (natural gas) worked perfectly. Generator came on within 10 seconds of power loss. Lighted the entire house and the fish tank as well as the QT tanks in the garage. I am very pleased with the generator so far.

Kirk

Kirk, you have all the best of the best toys!! I'm jealous:D

I still have not heard from home, hope everything is OK:shock:. I will get home about 9:00 pm tonight, going to be a long day as I need to be to the airport in about 15 minutes . . .log off Kris, log off Kris!

Kris,

Thanks. Part of my planning and budget for my 375g project was a standby generator. Once I saw the difference between a 10,000kw and a 13,000kw was only $300, I opted for the bigger unit. After speaking with Cy last year and the horror stories he told me regarding the storm in December, it didn't make sense to me NOT to protect my investment I have in this tank.

So when you coming up to take a look at the tank??? LOL..

Kirk,

Where did you buy your Guardian generator? Did it need to be installed by an electrician, and do you have it connected to your home's natural gas (I assume?) I would like to come up and see your whole tank setup....thanks for inviting me. :D

I left work yesterday to try and get home before the storm (just before 2) to notice the storm was already kicking up. It was pretty windy in Federal Way, but I only lost power for about enough time to make my Koralia's chatter. (And cause me to replay a portion of the videogame I was playing because I wasn't smart enough to save often.)

Back