Fishroom Frezny

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

I got the go ahead from the boss to section off part of the garage to use as a fishroom for the up and coming 200gal-ish.

I have contacted a coupe of local tank builders for a tank that is 60'' long X 30''wide X 30'' tall. Still waiting on some of those prices. So far an acrylic tank that size is over $1850, the same tank 6'' shorter in height is $1000 cheaper. The difference is 3/4'' material opposed to 1/2'' material.
I cant find a material supplier to build the tank myself at that price. That is crazy!!!!

This is my basic plan, As of today. LOL It will change!!!!

DT 200gal-ish
sump 100 gal
skimmer DIY air driven low flow
return pump Mag 1800 @ 1300ghp/ slipt to frag tank
DIY led/ help from eww
Fragtank 50gal plumbed into DT sump
QT 50gal plumbed separate from DT
Closed loop with 3400gph / Possible oceans motions 3 way or 4 way
2, 50 gal barrels for ro/di and freshsaltwater

There is an unbelievable amount of planning and work to do for this system!!
Dont be surprised if I surpass Alex or Todd in the length of this build. LOL

I am allotted an 8'x10' space in the garage for my fishroom

I have started to collect equipment for this system build.
Today I picked up 2 of these tanks

100gal divided in half and plumbed separately
Fishroomsump006.jpg

Need a good vinegar bath
Fishroomsump005.jpg

Fishroomsump004.jpg

This is the corner I get to play in.
Fishroomsump007.jpg

Fishroomsump008.jpg

Look forward to lots of DIY and a crapload of pics

Peppie

Way to go Dave, I can also be of assistance since you have that nice chair in just the right spot I'll just need a quality Whiskey or Ale then can :director:you guys in comfort.... seriously give me a call when you need an extra hand with this project and would be more than happy to help you out Bud.

Cheers, Todd

Fishroomsump008.jpg

[/QUOT

Thats quite the nice stand for your sump. I can't wait to see the stand you build for the tank, Let me guess... cinder blocks, right?

I was thinking more in the way of Red Bricks. I know Iknow they are a little harder to level up but I like the color and texture of the red ones.

Slapped that "STAND" together yesterday for a place to store and EMPTY sump/frag/qt tank for a few mos. so I wasnt tripping over it while the build took place. I am sure I will move both of them more than 5 xs before they see water.

Way to go Dave, I can also be of assistance since you have that nice chair in just the right spot I'll just need a quality Whiskey or Ale then can :director:you guys in comfort.... seriously give me a call when you need an extra hand with this project and would be more than happy to help you out Bud.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Todd,
You might have to arm wrestle Mojo for the chair. (WEAK KNEES)
I have got your # for when I am stumped

I have drawn up a basic plan for the filtration system. Please take a look and throw me some input. This will be my first "SUMP TYPE" system. Looking for info on PVC pipe size. Based on appox. 600gph to the DT and 500-600gph to the frag tank

Fishroomsump019.jpg

Surprisingly... looks pretty good right out of the gate. :boink:

Are you planning on running a sump on the QT or will the heater and skimmer be incorporated into the QT tank itself? I assume it will be completely separated from the rest of the system.

I'm sure you thought of it but it would be a good idea to run plumbing from your RODI res (55gal barrel I believe?) to the ATO container so all you have to do is turn a ball valve to fill your ATO.

Why a Mag pump? I think there are much more efficient pumps with less heat transfer out there. Eheim comes to mind. What is your head rise from the bottom of the return to the outlet in the DT?

Nice stuff pepster!!! Fly me up there and I'll give you a hand. Just turn on the heater:p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you planning on running a sump on the QT or will the heater and skimmer be incorporated into the QT tank itself? I assume it will be completely separated from the rest of the system.

I'm sure you thought of it but it would be a good idea to run plumbing from your RODI res (55gal barrel I believe?) to the ATO container so all you have to do is turn a ball valve to fill your ATO.

Why a Mag pump? I think there are much more efficient pumps with less heat transfer out there. Eheim comes to mind. What is your head rise from the bottom of the return to the outlet in the DT?

Why not use the 55gal drum as your ATO and you will free up the 29?

Hare you doing Manual water changes in the QT?

+1 on the Eheim

Thats looks a lot like my old 500G system with separate tanks all over the tank room. I think it looks great though I have to warn you. It will be such an elaborate system even your reef keeping buddies may be overwhelmed by it when you ask for a tank sitter on your vacations.

Eric, the Qt will be separate the DT system I will run a heater and a HOB skimmer or filter while a fish is in there. I will do manual WC on the QT because I dont want to drill a drain near the bottom encase I want to use that side of the tank for another reason at a later date.

I for got to draw in the plumbing to the 29gal ATO tank from the 55gal freshwater RO/DI barrel

The Mag 18 is drawn in cause I already have it. If a good deal comes up on a better pump with about 1400gph I will consider changing it out. I think the flow rate to the DT and the Frag tank need to be around 500 to 600 gph

Nice stuff pepster!!! Fly me up there and I'll give you a hand. Just turn on the heater:p

Thanks Kirsh.
I can only offer you a blanket to keep warm. I cant afford to turn the heater on let alone fly you up here. I am saving my pennies to put together an aquarium. LOL

Why not use the 55gal drum as your ATO and you will free up the 29?

Hare you doing Manual water changes in the QT?

+1 on the Eheim

I am using the 29 for the ATO, because the Freshwater RO/DI drum will be 5' off the ground and I dont want to deal with a back siphon issue.
As before I will plumb the 29 ATO to the 55 drum and use a ball valve to dump the water into the 29

Thats looks a lot like my old 500G system with separate tanks all over the tank room. I think it looks great though I have to warn you. It will be such an elaborate system even your reef keeping buddies may be overwhelmed by it when you ask for a tank sitter on your vacations.

Thanks for looking trido,
I am not worried to much about the tank sitter. He will know this system as well as I do by the time we are done putting it together.
Aint that right Eric??

Its always good to have a network of fish tank friends that live close by. Having Eric help build it will be a huge help on your ten day vacation a year from now. He may still vaguely remember the system. You may want to drag Becca into the mix with a pipe cutter as well. :D

I havent had a 10 day vacation in over 10 years and it doesnt look like it will happen next year either.
As for bring Becca into the build.... I am trying to due this on a shoe string budget. And having a hands on experience with their build I am sure she would drain my wallet before I got to put up the shop lights in the fishroom. LOL

Thanks Kirsh.
I can only offer you a blanket to keep warm. I cant afford to turn the heater on let alone fly you up here. I am saving my pennies to put together an aquarium. LOL

Lol! My uncle lives up there (mom's brother). Visited once. Who knows, I may pop up in your neck of the woods one of these days. :)

As for bring Becca into the build.... I am trying to due this on a shoe string budget. And having a hands on experience with their build I am sure she would drain my wallet before I got to put up the shop lights in the fishroom. LOL

Hey Dave, a girl has to have her standards.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Back