Peppie's 180 Reef-Room

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

WOW! Dave, very cool and very excited as after a year and a half will finally get to see this EPIC build of yours. Though I missed out on versions 1-23 this one is "The Cats Pajamas" of any DIY-ers dream my friend.

Cheers, Todd

I am looking forward to having you guys stop by on Sat. I need some out of the box advice on version 25.( Invisible overflow.)

An other tank addition to the fishroom.
Gryphon offered up a used 120gal acrylic tank for free last weekend at the BBQ. Said it was not up to par for a show tank. Didnt matter to me. At the very least I could scrap it for the acrylic.
I got to thinking I needed a QT tank for my future livestock.
Out came the skill Saw.

A few well placed cuts, and BOOM, material for a 50gal QT .

Took the rough cut pieces to the table saw and refined the dimensions.
It ended up being 42'' long X 16'' deep X 16'' tall.
I replaced the front and sides with some new acrylic I had in the shop.

This used to be the bottom of the 120, Now it is the euro brace for the QT

A moch-up just to see if it will work.

I will weld it up this week and post some pics.

Is there anything special I should add to this QT for it to be functional?? I have thought about adding a divider so I can QT two sets of fish at the same time.

wow Dave, the project keeps growing lol. I get inspiration from your constantly evolving project, makes me feel better about how I am always tinkering and tweaking mine. Oh by the way, I found the USB adapter thingy that goes with the Reefkeeper lite, you use it to hook the Reefkeeper up to a computer, then download My Reef 2.0 and set up all your controls. You don't HAVE to use it, everything can be programmed from the head unit, but its nice to play with. Sorry I didn't drop it off with the other stuff, it was in a box of computer junk.. will set it aside for you.

Is there anything special I should add to this QT for it to be functional?? I have thought about adding a divider so I can QT two sets of fish at the same time.

A divider might be a good idea, unless you have plans for some larger fish to be added.
With just a single fish, it makes more sense to use 25 gallons of saltwater.

Have plans for a bio-filter for the q-tank?

wow Dave, the project keeps growing lol. I get inspiration from your constantly evolving project, makes me feel better about how I am always tinkering and tweaking mine. Oh by the way, I found the USB adapter thingy that goes with the Reefkeeper lite, you use it to hook the Reefkeeper up to a computer, then download My Reef 2.0 and set up all your controls. You don't HAVE to use it, everything can be programmed from the head unit, but its nice to play with. Sorry I didn't drop it off with the other stuff, it was in a box of computer junk.. will set it aside for you.

Thanks Danny,
The Qt was always in the plan for the fishroom. I had to wait around to find the correct size tank to fit in a specific spot.Needless to say I knew I would probably have to build one to fit. So when Gryph offered the free 120 I had to jump on it.
I will probably never hook up the RKL to a computer, so dont sweat the plug.

A divider might be a good idea, unless you have plans for some larger fish to be added.
With just a single fish, it makes more sense to use 25 gallons of saltwater.

Have plans for a bio-filter for the q-tank?

Still on the fence about the size of the division.. 30gal/20gal... 40gal/10gal... 25/25 or not at all???????
I will most likely use a HOB power filter, with a bare bottom, and some large PVC fittings

Dave, what is the largest fish u plan on keeping? U need 5 gal of tank for 1 inch of fish..the last thing u want is to stress the fish out in qt..

I will probably never hook up the RKL to a computer, so dont sweat the plug.
You might want to rethink that. Programming these things from a computer is about 20 times easier than fumbling through the several button controller. I dont currently have mine hooked up but, miss the days it was and look forward to having it again in the future.

Nice looking QT. I would not make it two smaller tanks but leave it whole. I have a 10, 20 and a 29 gallon glass tank in a pile if you need to QT small fish. Point being, small fish tanks are very inexpensive.

Dave, what is the largest fish u plan on keeping? U need 5 gal of tank for 1 inch of fish..the last thing u want is to stress the fish out in qt..

Thanks Kirk,
I am thinking the largest fish would be a Powder Blue Tank. But as you know, I have a tendency to change my mind over time LOL.

You might want to rethink that. Programming these things from a computer is about 20 times easier than fumbling through the several button controller. I dont currently have mine hooked up but, miss the days it was and look forward to having it again in the future.

Nice looking QT. I would not make it two smaller tanks but leave it whole. I have a 10, 20 and a 29 gallon glass tank in a pile if you need to QT small fish. Point being, small fish tanks are very inexpensive.

Just using the RKL on the frag tank for the heater and the lighting and possible an ATO pump.Trying to keep that tank simple. If I need to in the future I am sure Danny and I can hook up.
I am leaning towards no divider in the QT. I too have some smaller tanks around somewhere.

Close to 30 days since I have updated this thread.
But many have seen the progress on the DIY three ten.
I am getting excited

My 180 on steroids, expanded to a cubish 310

Back