Peppie's 180 Reef-Room

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dave....so what's the bubble count? :boink:

The bottom weld is pretty much flawless. (fricken awesome)

A BIG THANKS to Kipo, and Mojo for assisting me in the top and bottom welds. With the short open time of the weldon 3 I wouldnt have been able to produce this quality of a seam weld.

Thanks guys

When did it snow!
thats a crazy amount of acrylic shavings
nice job Dave. cant wait to see it all set up.

You ain't seen shavings, that's nothing! See what your floor looks like when you trim 1.5" material. I have gone after it with the dust collector as a shop vac would be like throwing a toothpick into a volcano! J

You ain't seen shavings, that's nothing! See what your floor looks like when you trim 1.5" material. I have gone after it with the dust collector as a shop vac would be like throwing a toothpick into a volcano! J

LOL, I can imagine,

As I was making my last pass on the bottom edge I wondered how you dealt with the mountains of snow you must create.
Thanks for having a look Jason.

When did it snow!
thats a crazy amount of acrylic shavings
nice job Dave. cant wait to see it all set up.

Thanks Lorie,
It has been snowing in my shop for the past week. Cant wait to get it ALL cleaned up. I have a feeling itwill be years bsfore it is ALL gone from some places in the shop. LOL
I have a few great ideas for this one. Stay tuned.

Hey Dave-

I'm late catching up with the build here. Thanks for the detailed breakdown of what you've done so far. What Weldon product did you use for the display? Sorry if I missed it. I've only ever used Weldon 3, which, like you said, has a short working time. Your seams turned out great. Thanks.

Hey Dave-

I'm late catching up with the build here. Thanks for the detailed breakdown of what you've done so far. What Weldon product did you use for the display? Sorry if I missed it. I've only ever used Weldon 3, which, like you said, has a short working time. Your seams turned out great. Thanks.

Thanks for stopping by and having a look halmus,
Better late than never. LOL
I usually detail thing fairly well here, Never know when someone may want to use the information.
I used Weldon #3 for the DT build. The info on the DT build is on the "Large Tank"site.
Some members here wanted to see the whole system/room/tank/acces./ect. moved to the Large Tank Site. I thought I should leave the overall build right here.
But added just the tank build details to the LTS.

I am very pleased with how the seams turned out.

I'm starting to think you should be a poster boy for acrylic shavings here on RF. You outta repost the ones from a while back when you were covered in shavings. Anyway, its been a while since I've been on here but its good to see you building some monster tanks. I like the dimensions you went with. I love a cube shaped tank. I think it allows for a lot cooler view. I'll be following along.

I'm starting to think you should be a poster boy for acrylic shavings here on RF. You outta repost the ones from a while back when you were covered in shavings. Anyway, its been a while since I've been on here but its good to see you building some monster tanks. I like the dimensions you went with. I love a cube shaped tank. I think it allows for a lot cooler view. I'll be following along.

I looked for the pic, but couldnt find it in the some odd 1000's I have got related to aquarium builds. LOL
Glad to see you back on line.
The view in this tank will leave you shaking your head (if I can pull it off)

We'll have to see what the house looks like. Denver's housing market is pretty good right now (if you're selling). I guess my future job prospects will play a big role as well. :)

I like the size of OBD's dry display up front. I would be going the peninsula route though. I did have a crazy idea the other day while on a 60 mile bike ride with the wife. I get a little delirious around mile 50. It seems that most botanical centers usually have a koi pond. What about having a deep reef pond that you can look down into in a split level house that would allow you one typical viewing panel into the tank on the lower level? The profile of the reef could be totally "organic" and random, not the boxes we're often confined to. That's just me dreaming.

Last edited:
I am sure you will find a home that meets your needs, And maybe some of your wants. LOL
The look down " pond reef sounds like a great idea. But that may be something that would need to built INTO the structure and design of the home.
But they say..... Where there is a will there is a way.
Just think of what you would come up with at the 100 mile mark

I had better put up some pics on this build or every one will quit looking. LOL

Ever since Kevin (Kpio) bought that beautiful CFI custom 180, I knew I had to redo the top of my stand.
Small price to pay for an additional 130 gal of display.

Started by removing alot of screws, and ended up with this pile of fire wood

A trip to the lumber store, some measuring, a dozen or so cuts, add some screws, and BAM

Seal it all up with some acrylic paint

Dug out a piece of 3/4'' plywood from the lumber shed, and painted the underside.

Just need to screw it down and roll on a couple coats of paint .
Better than new.

Now that I know exactly where my framing lies, I can move forward on drilling the 310

Back