Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i would like to see how it is all connected to your tank? where is the vinyl tube going to? how is the pump connected to the unit?
I just reviewed in online...says it can be used with tanks up to 55 gallons....

how is this enough to clean your 450G tank?

The vinyl tubes attach to two u brackets that sit on top of the rim of the tank and into the tank about 8" deep. The motor sits on top of the glass jar and puts out 400 GPH. Vortex use to make a elite model for larger tanks, but had a fire which destroyed the production part of the company (They just recently started making the xl models again). I did ask the question if the xl was sufficient for a 450 gallon tank and the guys assured me it wouldn't be a problem (it just takes longer to filter things out). When I run the diatom filter, I typically run it at night and until feeding time. My friend Lance Ichinotsubo who runs Captive Reefs in Florida runs them on all his tanks...which sold me.

How did the Rapid Onyx LEDs work out? I built a Lumia 5.2 LED unit that works really well.

I've dosed carbon (vodka/vinegar) for a while now with varied success to keep nitrates in check. Based on some friends in the hobby recommendations, I thought I'd try a H&S sulfur denitrator to help control nitrates. I'm starting off at a drip per second and will adjust accordingly. I'll report periodically how it goes.

I've dosed carbon (vodka/vinegar) for a while now with varied success to keep nitrates in check. Based on some friends in the hobby recommendations, I thought I'd try a H&S sulfur denitrator to help control nitrates. I'm starting off at a drip per second and will adjust accordingly. I'll report periodically how it goes.

I was getting tired of dosing daily and the side effects from carbon (cloudy tank, cyano, etc). I'm interested to see how long it will take for nitrates to drop also....stay tuned.

Back