Gort's Solana 34 - a journey of a thousand mistakes...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Did you get an ETA for Vida Rock? I'm curious to see how this turns out!

Nobody is more anxious to take delivery of that than I - things are pretty much idling til then. First it was gonna be shipped Monday, then Tuesday - only to be followed by a promise it was headed out the door yesterday with a tracking number to follow. So far no info. Cerameco is in UT so hopefully the transit time will be short :Cry:

Somebody tell me again why a guy who craves instant gratification (me) got into reefer-ism .. :fear:

I don't think the slow nature of this hobby ever held back any impatient guys! I personally am more of an impatient/instant-gratification type so it can be a bit frustrating at times but as long as you do it right I think you'll find this hobby enjoyable.

You've already got a pretty good start with that Solana and the stand. Good luck!

Day6.jpg

The tiny piece of live rubble rock in the tank awaiting the Vida Rock (UPS sez Tuesday)

One really IS the loneliest number!!

Vida Rock ...

Vida1.jpg

Vida2.jpg

Vida3.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Vida Rock arrived today - I like it lots. A very porous non-reactive ceramic..Water cloudy cuz I scrubbed off all the air bubbles plus stirred up the sandbed as I was tweaking.

Ligthing fixture on the way

I ordered a Prism AC from Unique LED yesterday. I hear great things about them - can't wait to see it perched over the open-top.

Prism AC LED fixture on the Solana

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

Prism AC fixture by Unique LED - uber-cool!!

Last edited:
Water change and filtration chamber/pump maintenance on the 34 today. I was shocked how much crud there was - both inside the return pump and on the bottom of that chamber. :eek:

Also had a major "D'oh!!" moment when I discovered that Current USA enclosed the two mesh bags of activated carbon in ANOTHER bag (plastic) - so close-fitting that I missed it when I put them in last week. No wonder they floated the entire time
:rolleyes:

That's a pretty slick looking light fixture. I'm going to follow this thread with quite a bit of jealousy.

I really like the Vida Rock look as well. I talked to the owner of Ceramaco while living in Utah and they're really starting to come out with some cool designs.

I'm jazzed about the Prism - they gave me a great price also.

I'm anxious to populate the Vida Rock. The Cerameco owner spent quite a bit of time getting my "druthers" for the piece in the Solana - I guess it technically was a custom build.

New addition to the brood

IMG_0354.jpg

Royal Gramma is exploring all the nooks and crannies in the rock - a bit tentative and timid while adjusting to new surroundings.

I also have several new corals, but can't take a decent close-up to save my life.

Back