Guide to fraging RTBA

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jsmkmavity their is a difference here. Back then nobody knew anything?? For me if a person shows me a method of fragging anenomes that has worked to a 99.9% sucess rate a thousand times, why would I look to try to find the death point of the same animal to do the same procedure??

Mike

Thanks Mike

For the people who think this is reckless, you may want to look into the procedure that saves 400,000+ crocea clams each year. You pull the mom and dad (which is also dad and mom, since the are hermaphrodites, but unable to self fertilize) out of the tank, set them out dry in the hot sun for an hour or so (north side of AUS), then drop them in trash cans filled with 50deg seawater. Would you call this reckless too? It stresses the animals? Should you stop doing it because it causes animals stress?

Last edited:
Mike- I was not aware that this procedure had a 99.9% sucess rate. Now that I know that, I no longer feel any need to test for LD. And of course you are welcome to a cut of the profits :) I never forget anyone that helps me.

Now I bet everybody talking about the procedure being reckless feels a little stupid.

we still know very little, and we need to know more! as i said, im not saying we should be finding new and exciting ways to stress animals untill we find one that ends in destruction. what i am saying is if someone notices something in a tank or in the wild and tries to find the reason for it or what effect it has it might not be a bad idea to experiment on a small level. i think what he is trying to do is see if some of these "stresses" may actually help the animal in the long run. "that which doesnt kill you only makes you stronger"? again i would like to say that we shouldnt all be trying things like this, but if someone has some understanding of the processes involved, and is willing, they shouldnt be hanged for trying, as long as the goal is improving the end result of all our captive breeding.

well as a girl i still think it looks creepy and i'd never do it (again i'm a girl)
I wish we could all see how Anthony Calfo has done it too (nothing personal dood), so people that come in here (more if they're new) go like...ohh i know that guy and they feel more comfortable doing it.
If you wanna play mad scientist i really don't care as long as you don't chop a clownfish or any other type of fish just to see how they're inside :p or for the fun of it, because then you got some issues dood :D .
Now after that said... i guess Mike is gonna have to give me a little bit of his commision for finding out it was his anemone youre chopping :lol: ... just kidding.
Mike you better don't show this to your anemones dood :D .

I am ok with fragging experiments but sharp razor blades would be better, seeing if you can frag in the show tank is sketchy not only for the anemone but for what it may do to the other coral. For example, I fragged a large hairy mushroom in a small tank with scissors. Thought that would be easy but instead of fragging it was torn to ribbons. Slime and white weird stuff floated everywhere, and the coral that could captured the white particles with their tentacles. A week later they were dead. Now that is not emperical science but it's good enough for me-don't frag in the display. Whether it is bad for the main animal or the others I don't care.

2nd. Don't experiment with rare and possibly endanged species, or if you do think about not posting that kind of stuff til you can prove it is not cruel and deadly. What if PETA people see this thread, how's that gonna look? You think they need more ammo? Try Majanos, tulips, or some other anemone. And don't try condylactis. Just because they are cheap doesn't mean they have no value in the wild. The intrinsic value of all our creatures save maybe those with medicinal properties is nil, but in the reef they have their place. I have a real bug up my !@$ about people treating condies like dirt. Stores should stop ordering them really.

3rd: the affects of salinity changes is a good thing to investigate. Properly and with controls, in the sort of protocol a real experiment would require. Anemone deaths are often blamed on salinity changes but is their empirical proof? Test on a healthy animal though, and again not a rare/endangered one.

4th testing the point of destruction for an animal is wrong period. Testing the point of an RBTA seems odd in general as we have been successfully killing them at all levels of the hobby for decades now. What we need to know is what is the true standard of care? Since some of us keep them in nanos and under flourescents with success does that mean they are ok that way? There is a good experiment-take your 4 clones once they have healed and put them in a flow through system with 4 small tanks or cubicles. Each should have a different light typical of the hobby-VHO, PC, T5, halide. I would love to see the results of that! Do a NO flourescent too, just for fun.

Last off I love your other experiments dude. You didn't open a can of worms here, you opened a can of whoopass. Sorry it's like that. Some people view coral as "specimens" similar to plants or rocks, others see them as precious endanged fixtures of a sacred ecosystem, and still more see them as cute pets which they may even try to name and anthropomorphize over. If you don't view the coral as animals worthy of benign care at least back off on the live animal experiments til they are well conceived and checked with others for redundancy to established data, and publish at the end of the process. Most scientists do that right? No sense projecting a hypothesis into the community til you know if it's worthy of consideration.

Seriously would love you to do that light experiment on the 4 assuming they live. Am interested in the osmotic shock results too since you already did it but it would have been better on a healthy intact specimen. We won't know if the salinity change killed it or if this particular cutting was especially harmed in the process of fragging. If you could do the light experiment it would be fun to follow that up with one on various corals and especially ricordea... which it seems EVERYONE has a different opinion on as far as the use of halides goes. :)

You are going to get slammed on this for a while, for various reasons. Don't quit the list but take it as a lesson learned. Animal science and physics don't quite match up and those who do animal science have a real hard set of animal welfare rules to follow, which you may be able to obtain through your university. So many of us do what you have done but wouldn't admit it to the group. So maybe we don't hack up anemones, we do mix leathers with SPS or put aggressive fish with those they will kill, thinking "maybe it will be ok". My least favorite quote at the fish store after telling a person not to combine two incompatible critters:
"I JUST WANT TO TRY!"
You wouldn't believe how often people say that, I bet all of us are guilty of this. Maybe we don't do it anymore because we learned our lesson but unfortunately most people do learn not to touch a hot stove by getting burned.

Kate

Last edited:
liveforphysics said:
Mike- I was not aware that this procedure had a 99.9% sucess rate. Now that I know that, I no longer feel any need to test for LD. And of course you are welcome to a cut of the profits :) I never forget anyone that helps me.

Now I bet everybody talking about the procedure being reckless feels a little stupid.

Yeah, all I was looking for was a purpose for the LD study as I understood and was all for the propagation bit? I know that in the research I have done, if you want grant money and if you want to get through the reviewing process, you have to have a legitimate purpose and/or goal for your research and have your methodology backed by previous scientific data (or a hunch based on scientific data). At the end of the day, it made for a good discussion.

Regretably, your last sentence is perhaps the most telling...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Well, I wasn't going to chime in at all, since I personally couldn't give any advice on the proper way to frag anything. I really don't know if scissors are better than a scalpel or razor blade, although I think if I had surgery I'd rather the doc used a knife ;). Etc.

I personally think fragging a leather or attaching a mushroom to a rock with a toothpick "sounds" cruel, only because they are living animals. I do see though that it has been learned that these animals have a simple nervous system and supposedly feel no pain. Do I know this for sure? no, I never asked a leather if it hurt ;).

Saying that, I'm not against the fragging part of this discussion at all. It seems tried and true and supported by lots of very respected reef experts.

I guess the only part of this whole thing that kind of bothers me is the "experimentation" part that cropped up in the last half of this thread. I'm just not into the "lets see what happens" part when one of the outcomes may result in death. I'm not flaming you Luke, I'm sure the first person who cut up a live coral to "see what happens" didn't really know the outcome wouldn't result in a death. I believe your intentions weren't to be cruel, but can you see where others may not see it the way you do?

I just wanted to add my 1.5 cents(Can)

Well, I wasn't going to chime in at all, since I personally couldn't give any advice on the proper way to frag anything. I really don't know if scissors are better than a scalpel or razor blade, although I think if I had surgery I'd rather the doc used a knife . Etc.

I personally think fragging a leather or attaching a mushroom to a rock with a toothpick "sounds" cruel, only because they are living animals. I do see though that it has been learned that these animals have a simple nervous system and supposedly feel no pain. Do I know this for sure? no, I never asked a leather if it hurt .

Saying that, I'm not against the fragging part of this discussion at all. It seems tried and true and supported by lots of very respected reef experts.

I guess the only part of this whole thing that kind of bothers me is the "experimentation" part that cropped up in the last half of this thread. I'm just not into the "lets see what happens" part when one of the outcomes may result in death. I'm not flaming you Luke, I'm sure the first person who cut up a live coral to "see what happens" didn't really know the outcome wouldn't result in a death. I believe your intentions weren't to be cruel, but can you see where others may not see it the way you do?

I just wanted to add my 1.5 cents(Can)

LOL!!! partner you're hilarious :lol: and you have a good point too dood:) .

Hmm... First off, I agree with you saying that fragging things in the tank is generally a bad idea.

However, beyond that I run into some issues...

You talk about not posting results until the the experiment is proven not cruel and deadly. I got this idea from Calfo who gives traveling demonstrations of this procedure, and Mojo says its been done thousands of times with 99.9% postive results. Hideing results would also take away an important bennfit, which is posting that something fails if it does indeed fail. That prevents others from makeing the same mistakes, fortunately nothing is failing for me, but if something did, you bet I would make it very public as to exactly what caused the problem to my best observations. This saves lives of creatures.

As far as cruelty and such, how is this any differnt than fraging a mushroom or a zoo? They are just smaller anemones, does the size cause you drop your empathetic attachment to associate cruelty? Where do you draw the line, are mushrooms OK but recordia not? Are small anemones OK and large ones not? Or do you advocate wild harvest rather than propagation to satisfy the market demand?

For a little background, I help hurt animals as much as possible. I have sucessfully stiched and superglued the leg back on a huge bullfrog that was torn off by a lawnmower, after just 3 weeks he totally regained use of it again! It was really really awsome to watch it heal. I also protested the di-section of frogs in jr.high and high school, and actually got the whole school to move to just doing 1 single frog with a camera and LCD projector, which enabled everyone to see things much better, and only cost the life of 1 frog per class rather than 30.

I dont hate animals, I dont like to see animals suffer, however, if I can cause temporary stress to an animal to prevent more of them from being taken from the wild,than I belive the only immoral act being to NOT cut them apart.

Somewhere you gotta be real about things.

Thank you Snowbanker. I agree with you 100%. The purpose of the experiment that everybody has a problem with was simply to get an idea of the durability of the frags in the procedure. I know it was a concern of mine, and I know it SHOULD be a concern of others who are considdering doing this wonderful and reef saving process. If it shriveled up and died when I put it into the other tank, I would think, wow, this a very delicate procedure and I better leave it to pros with systems to maintain water parameters at exacting levels. However, it did fine, which should indicate to others that they are more likely to succeed with there personal systems which may have varrying degrees of stability.

Its important to remember that we are all just standing on the shoulders of the experimenters who 50 years ago were working to keep a damsel alive for more than a week or two, and if they pulled of a damsel living for a month, they were pretty much considder experts.

This was becasue numerous PhDs in biology and marine biology were pumping the hobby with the super great advice of boiling and sterilizing every piece of equipment or any object that contacted the water. Then they advocated removing ammonia through chemical means... Obviously this temporal status quo reefkeeping was a joke, but through these experiments, and finally a few people not listening to the "known proven safe method", the use of bio filtration developed, and belive it or not, it was harshly rejected by the experts and hobbists alike!!!, because anything that challenges status quo, reguardless of obvious sucess or results is always harshly combated until its finally accepted by the close minded majority.

wrightme43 said:
Some people are here to teach us what to do, and others to teach what not to do.
2 days, is not a success. You are comparing a very haphazard and completely uncontrolled experement, with carefully controlled metal fatigue tests. That is complety misrepresenting what you have done. And then saying you are on the cutting edge, and everyone else is a Luditte cause they dont instantly see that you are a super genius.

There is absolutely no point in testing a animal to destruction. What purpose can it possibley serve? It is a very simple matter to match salinity, temp, ph, and have little or no dangerous compounds in frag grow out tanks.
Just for the heck of it. Just in case some new person comes along and thinks hey this guy is a genius, I should follow his advice. Here are pictures of your tanks again.

I wouldn't normally get involved into something like this. But it is probably a bit unfair to post pictures without knowing if they are still accurate. After personally seeing the tanks in question I can saw without a doubt that they look extremely healthy and aren't in fact the same as how you are picturing them. Personally the fact that someone is able to run two tanks and propragate(sp) some corals without using any filtration system other than a macroalgae and with experiminatation (goodness I need spellcheck) build a calcium reactor for under 60$ (that btw isn't the one you have pictured) shows that perhaps everyone needs to be shaken in what is accepted.

Yes, some of the methods may be crude. Is he right in what he is doing? Personally I have no problem with it at all. It is how science has operated throughout the ages. We do it to ourselves all the times. How much can the human body endure?

Blah, now I am getting off track here. But to be fair, in the future, ensure that the pictures you post are current as I'm sure everyone's tanks have gone through much change as I know mine has.

mojoreef said:
Hmm sounds to me like I be having a commission percentage a coming:D

Mike

LOL Mike! To think I was there, too.

I wonder why he hasn't done the same to his Sebae.

Best,
Ilham

liveforphysics said:
For a little background, I help hurt animals as much as possible. /---/

I dont hate animals, I dont like to see animals suffer, however, if I can cause temporary stress to an animal to prevent more of them from being taken from the wild,than I belive the only immoral act being to NOT cut them apart.

Somewhere you gotta be real about things.

I have to support Luke here. I had a RBTA anemone that had gotten attacked in my tank and Luke offered to nurse it back to health in one of his tanks since I didn't have the equipment or even the knowledge of how to do it myself. He even graciously gave me and my wife another anemone to help out or tank as it is growing and offered to freely give our RBTA back when it was back to healthy. Would I have felt comfortable giving over a RBTA if I thought it was being mistreated? No.

One thing that I do think is sort of interesting in this thread is the different views of people based largely on their age category. I know this is a cycle that repeats itself over and over. I just find it somewhat amusing to see it happen everywhere, even in reefkeeping.

Thank you Esears, kind words are always appreciated.

Elmo, I considdered fragging the Sebae, but after calling around to local pet stores asking about selling it, I got really poor responses, most stores saying they werent interested at all, or that they would pay $10-15. Blue seirra was the only store that said they would give me $20.

For that reason, I decided its not a high demand item to propagate, and its actually now in its own tank at blue serria in issaquah. They put it in its own tank because its about 15" across... Sorry Tangee, I would have given it to you but you asked 1 day too late!

After reading about how well condys and some other anemones deal with it, Im pretty confident it would have also propagated well, but I needed more room for propagateing RTBAs

Hi,
Wish I knew how to quote in my replies like you guys.

I didn't mean don't post til proven not cruel and deadly. What I meant is if this is a "scientific experiment" then don't post til it's done so we can see results. I am curious. Isn't that what you wanted? So people are saying do it different next time, that's advice well given.

Personally I think killing gratuitously is wrong, but I never said you were an animal hater. Whether or not you are personally cruel is irrelevant to me as well, I really don't care. I don't even know you and probably will never meet you. You offered to build me a free chiller system for native fish and for that I am grateful for, people don't often offer anything free on this forum. Killing gratuitously is against my core being and my religious beliefs, as is expecting you to conform to me. Oh and I am not a 20 something Olympia vegetarian PETA hipster. :)

I take zo eating spiders out of the tank and flush them. I eat eggs. You know how many male chicks die for my eggs? I didn't protest dissection in high school but did steal a pair of fetal pigs eyes for a practical joke. Yeah, me miss spiritual. I haven't fragged another mushroom since that first time, to answer your question on my moral righteousness.

I am just saying to slow down, there are other ways to do things. These RBTA's don't need to be cut up, they naturally divide often and easily. Just treat them well, feed and you get tons without having to wait for them to heal from being hacked up. By cutting you risk all of them. By posting "this is how you do it" you are misleading newbies to use scissors and frag in the display tank.

By the way, what do pet stores pay for rose BTA's? Around here it's 20 bucks, same as the sebae...

It's nice you are reading all of our posts, most people in threads like this get huffy and quit or worse go up in puff of defensive flames :)

That said I quote Monty Python's The Meaning of Life "Waiter, this conversation just isn't working out for us, may we try another?" I think I have said my piece and don't want to continue.
Kate

Last edited:
LOL! Too funny! Im not sure what you are in doubt of the jiveing factor with, but you can see my old Myspace page if you want. I created it about 2 years ago or so, so its not quite up to date, but it gives you some idea about who I am and what I belive.
http://www.myspace.com/liveforphysics

I started in electrical engineering, then swapped to civil engineering, took the senior level courses and got bored with the major, switched to mechanical engineering, took most of the jounior and senior level courses, stopped when I got an internship with Endyn (Energy Dynamics in ft.worth texas) for race engine design (life time passion), got back into college as an industrial engineer, finished up the entire set of fluid and thermodynamics, took the entire offered physics set (I love physics). At this point my girlfriend graduated from the college we were attending in Oregon and got stationed for her unpaid medical intership at UW medical center. I quit that college in Oregon when we moved, and started back in industrial engineering here in Seattle.

I have no degrees, and the engineering company I work for is baised in Tiawan. I specialize in connecting rod design and stress dynamics and intake manifold design on a job by job basis. We make some really kick ass parts that are re-sold under a wide variety of brand names. If you own a honda/toyota/nissan with a few basic performance mods, odds are my bosses company made at least something on your car. We also make all subaru STi camshafts currently, but I'm not really suposed to discuss that stuff.

I pay for school, my racecars, my RC helocopters, my chem experiments, my laser projects, my tesla coil hobby, and my Girlfriend while she is on her unpaid medical intership, and the reef thing on the side.

Last edited:
Killing gratuitously is against my core being and my religious beliefs, as is expecting you to conform to me. Oh and I am not a 20 something Olympia vegetarian PETA hipster. :)

hey watch out with the 20s girl :D :lol:, i'm not a hippie :D or anything like that but i think fragging is scary.
i have never fragged anything in my tank
1- some of my soft corals feel so soft that i get scared of hurting them (i know they are not like us but still) even my mushrooms have been flying until they find a place because i get so afraid.
I know people think it's easy to just cut here, slice there and thats it... well most of you are boys and for me i feel so horrible.
Anyways after all that said, i can't wait to see pictures of the anemones.

Back