Hair Algae (what else can I try)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

is if the algae is in you trough can't it seed and spread into your tank.

No it can't, the algae is already all over your tank.
If you see it anywhere, there are spores everyplace.
The idea of an algae trough or lighted refugia is to give the algae a better place to grow than on your corals. In my trough the water is only a half inch deep, it if flowing fast and it is right under the main tank lights.
It sits to the rear of the tank above the water so some of the spill light goes into the trough. The thing is made out od a Home Depot 4"X4" PVC fence post sliced in half. It is also on a slight angle so the water flows from the input to the tank. There is a window screen in the trough which had some Sakrete Mortor mix smeared on (algae loves that stuff)
My trough is fed from my skimmer and uses no power. The lower end of the trough is just at the water surface so it does not splash.
Algae is self limiting and only so much can grow with the nutrients in your tank. If I get too much hair algae in the trough, I roll up the screen and scrape it off in a sink.
It is usually filled with hair algae but there is absolutely none in my tank

Gobieggs017.jpg

I was having an algae problem too. I added carbon and phosgaurd to a canister filter and noticed a decrease in the algae. I used a tooth brush to remove some and got my power heads on a wave maker to keep the tank stirred so stuff dosn't settle and cause problems. And slowly it is going away.

so, just wanted to suggest some skimmers for you...
If you already have a refugium filled with caluerpa,
then I would definately address the non skimming issue
with the uber crappy berlin skimmer before you start building an algae turf scrubber for your system...

so for 125g here's my favorite skimmers:

SWC 180 cone ($370 and available in may-june)
or SWC "mini s" cone (on sale now for like $275 at reeffiltration)
SWC extreme 200 $280

all of those are fairly inexpensive, but powerful skimmers with professional design features, so I really like that line of skimmers.

Last edited:
so, just wanted to suggest some skimmers for you...
If you already have a refugium filled with caluerpa,
then I would definately address the non skimming issue
with the uber crappy berlin skimmer before you start building an algae turf scrubber for your system...

so for 125g here's my favorite skimmers:

SWC 180 cone ($370 and available in may-june)
or SWC "mini s" cone (on sale now for like $275 at reeffiltration)
SWC extreme 200 $280

all of those are fairly inexpensive, but powerful skimmers with professional design features, so I really like that line of skimmers.

Thank you for your time, it is muchly appreciated. I will definately get a new skimmer!!!
Jacque

Back