Halmus' 120 Reef Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

And a bunch of random shots for the heck of it.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

Looking over those pictures, there are a few where darker colonies are contrasted against the bright pink montripora setosa. It looks like the picture has been photoshopped or something you would see filmed on a green screen in old hollywood movies. It hasn't been doctored, but I was shooting through my IPhone using my sunglasses as a UV filter with only actinic lighting on. It makes a pretty dramatic effect on the pictures. None of those recent pictures were taken with all of the lighting on. The MH were turned off. They look good in person, but not through my current camera.

That last pic with ur fish is prob my fav yet bro. Nice lil piece of reef u got their hehe. Do ur candycanes/trumpets split as they grow? I dont see tissue on the bottoms of em? kinda like duncans i guess

That last pic with ur fish is prob my fav yet bro. Nice lil piece of reef u got their hehe. Do ur candycanes/trumpets split as they grow? I dont see tissue on the bottoms of em? kinda like duncans i guess

I got those at the Bob Moore this year. The guy with the booth next to me was selling his corals at a ridiculously generous price. He had some nice stuff! He also had some problems with zoanthids crowding out the base of some of the corals. When I got those candycanes, they had zooanthids growing up and into the base of everything killing the coral. I QT'd them for a while, and systematically picked out the zoanthids and/or coated them entirely with a coat of superglue to seal them in a cocoon. The tissue is now slowly growing back and filling in over the glued areas.

kool, that sounds like a long process though lol... i think i remember seeing u buying coral from the guy next to you... i was thinking "hes supposed to b selling" lol.

Here are some updated pictures of the refugium where I'm trying to grow sponges and tube-worms. It's debatable how effective this will be at natural filtration of the water, but it's adding a little more biodiversity.

sponge5.jpg

sponge4.jpg

sponge3.jpg

sponge2.jpg

sponge1.jpg

And an update picture of the frag section. It's filling up. A fish knocked off a 2-3" piece of the orange digitata the other day, so it's become a frag.

frags.jpg

A big thank you to EWW!!!

My Ph has been consistently lower than I would like for a long time. I got a new Calcium Reactor which helped a little to maintain Ca, Mg, and Ph. Then I read about EWW's idea to add a CO2 absorbant inline with the air line to their Protein Skimmer. Maybe this idea has been around for a while, but it was the first time I had heard of it. I decided to give it a try. First I ordered the media from BRS:

co2.jpg

I didn't want to invest a lot of time into making a container before I knew that this would work in my system, so I grabbed a small length of hose and an old phosban media canister I had sitting around. Drilled one hole in the bottom to fit tight to the hose, and some breather holes around the top near the lid.

co2_2.jpg

I added some velcro to the lid, which easily sticks in place to the roof of my sump area directly above the Skimmer for easy access.

co2_1.jpg

This minimizes the length of hose the skimmer has to suck through. I noticed no difference in the air flow to the skimmer.

Inside the container, I placed a bed of loose cotton wadding we used to use as filters in the old trickle filter systems. The media was just poured on top of this. Inevitably, the air has to get sucked by at least some of the media.

Now for my attempt at the science portion. For those of you who don't know, CO2 is the stuff we exhale when we breath. In air-tight houses, or houses where the windows aren't open often, CO2 levels are actually noticeably higher. This actually effects our systems! I had no idea how much until I hooked up my Apex which reads Ph data every 10 mins. I can visually tell by the Ph graph when the windows have been left open. It's also dramatically clear when the lights are on and when they're off. We've all probably noticed that. So, decrease the CO2 getting into our water, increase the Oxygen. CO2 drives down the Ph.

So, I collected a little data before the switch (this is the blue line on the graph)

The data for the day of the switch (the red line on the graph)

The data for a few days later (the green line on the graph)

Ph_graph.png

Maybe it doesn't look all that dramatic, but before, my Ph would dip down to 7.88 at night with the lights off. It would spike in the morning with the simple addition of lighting over my small frag tank. It would dip for a bit when that went off, and then spike again higher during the day and normal lighting hours. So far, the Ph isn't getting up to 8.3 like the ideal system, but the lows at night aren't as significant. The corals are going to love the more stable parameters.

I finally got some time to start tearing it apart. I cut it straight down the middle into two halves. The original tank was 16" x 24" and 33" deep. Imagine splitting an apple down the middle letting the two halves fall apart. That's what I did with the aquarium. What use to make up the side of the tall aquarium now make up the bottoms. The two halves that are left over are 8" in depth, 24" wide, 33" long.

I cut one up smaller. It's now about 7" deep, and 24" x 20". I'll have to post pictures of what I have planned for that. It's going to become part of my display system. Here it is ready to be plumbed in to the display.

sump4.jpg

sump6.jpg

The leftover material from that half went into repairing the second half. It's going to be a frag tank that I can take along to frag swaps and general applications like that. It's a pretty handy size. 8" deep and 24" x 33". I threw a filter on it that is handy for filtration for short periods of time just to give it some perspective for size.

sump2.jpg

sump1.jpg

sump3.jpg

sump5.jpg

I'm doing a little research on cleaning up the acrylic. I'm pretty good at working with the material to make a container that holds water, but I'm no good at doing it without glue runs and blemishes. The videos make it appear like buffing out the scratches isn't that hard. I already have a lot of the tools, I'll keep you all up to date if I find any miracle cures.

I finally got around to posting some pictures of the latest project. I added an additional frag tank or reservoir for holding corals/algea? After adding it, I realized I don't necessarily have a real use for it. :) It's an acrylic box about 8" deep and 24" square.

The new tank is towards the top left of the closet area. The black screen is just to prevent daylight from growing unwanted algae in the existing frag tank.

FT4.jpg

A little closer

FT5.jpg

FT6.jpg

FT2.jpg

FT3.jpg

FT1.jpg

FT7.jpg

FT8.jpg

The lighting is just screw-in type with 5K bulbs for now. I'm currently using this to grow out some algeas (gracialara sp? and red dragon). This set-up can be easily adjusted to PAR screw-in bulbs to grow out some corals. The flow is perfect, and the box is easy to isolate and clean.

FT9.jpg

I finally got around to updating the newest frag tank. The tank above with macros was cleaned out. I was waiting for the funds to buy lights for a coral grow-out section. I bought four Rapid LED 12 LED screw-in bulbs. I normally do DIY, but I just don't have time to dedicate like I did before getting more involved with PSAS.

frags20_zps3f620208.jpg

frags21_zps7c782957.jpg

Most of these are doing really well. I've added quite a few more. I'll try to get more pictures soon. I'm looking at buying a Canon EOS Rebel Ti3. Anyone have any input on the camera?

My wife just got me a Canon T4i DSLR. I've been looking at the T3i for a while now. She got some advice from people that know a lot more about me about photography. The touch-screen display is going to be really nice. I have been too busy to really start learning how to use it. I know there are a lot of incredible things it can do, and I haven't started messing with the different aperture, white balance, or F settings. I don't even have the lens I really want yet, but here are a few updates on the tank.

IMG_0007_zps25f95507.jpg

IMG_0005_zps6cc57659.jpg

IMG_0004_zps60b92e53.jpg

IMG_0008_zpsdd0f5a9b.jpg

IMG_0015_zps534997e8.jpg

IMG_0009_zps7bf5e657.jpg

IMG_0017_zpse46b9d0c.jpg

IMG_0016_zps082ff214.jpg

IMG_0013_zpse9abd0c8.jpg

IMG_0011_zps5cc4da92.jpg

Very nice shots. Well done for the first posts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Very nice shots. Well done for the first posts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Eric. The camera did all the work. I'm going to have to bring it by the store some time. You guys have some extremely photogenic pieces in stock right now. Or, did before the doors opened. :) Hope you're seeing some good traffic over there.

Back