Help me design my new 240gal setup!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scooters right, they definately need to be rotated. It can make a very large difference in useable light, espically in situations where the bulbs are high in the air like typical MH.

That tank is going to be SWEET!!!! You're doing a super job documenting everything here for us Brian!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Scooterman said:
Yes he needs to rotate them 90 degrees or front to back.
I'd raise the VHO's & split them, two in the back & two in the front, you'll see a difference.

Well I wanted the VHO's to span the length of the tank. And if I raised the bulbs any further (towards the top of the canopy) I think the MH reflectors would block some of the light to the front of the tank.

Not sure I understand the reason for rotating the MH bulbs 90 degrees. I did it this way because it's like most MH setups I've seen.

You can span the tank with the VHO's, just move one row to the other end, leave one row alone but raise it high enough to allow the reflectors clear. Ok now to help answer your question as to why rotate the reflectors in the first place (I know you see most the way you have them now but optimally you need to rotate them) Look at the curvature of the reflector, it is by design to focus light the length of the lamp, if you leave it the way you have it your allowing some of the light to go over the edges of your tank outside the water, this is wasted light. If you rotate them you (and center them you push most of that light into the tank, a little extra work now in design will pay off in the long run. Hope this helps. The little shadow of the VHO's crossig the reflector shouldn't be a problem, if you use timers the Vho's come on first, them later MH, then later mh off & last VHO's off so you shouldn't see the shadows.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this? I'm not disagreeing with you Scoot and Luke, just wondering whether anyone else thinks it's worth changing since this means more work. I'll take a look at it tonight and see just how much we're talking about.

yep it means more work, lets see if you can get some more opinions here, I don't blame you on that, what you have will work. You could always try it that way & it you get tired of looking at that halo on the floor take it all the way apart again :: No that is bad of me to say that, lets get some more input I don't want to sound like hey it is my way or like I'm shoving it down your throat to do it my way please don't feel like that, I'm just trying to help.

Yah, I don't mind putting in the extra work if this is the best way to do it. Like I said I've never had MH bulbs or reflectors, so that's why I'm asking you guys, even if it's not what I want to hear :)

Oh, I forgot one other accomplishment this weekend: the electrical inspector came out and blessed my work on the subpanel I wrote about a few weeks ago. That makes me feel a little better. He wasn't there more than 5 minutes and didn't even open up the main panel. I think he had other stuff to do.

I didn't show him the permit I posted above.

on the lights....it does make a difference...whether you notice or not??? I don't know.

I ran my 75 with the reflectors just like yours are for 2.5 years. Everything was happy, growing, looked good. When I moved it was a good excuse to redesign the hood so I did. I rotated the reflectors 90 degress like everyone says and...well...anticlimactic if you ask me. It does make a difference and lab tests can show that. I don't notice a visual difference and I don't see any difference in the corals response to the available light so I don't see it as a BIG issue. I think you would be just fine the way you are, or you could rotate them. It's not going to make or break the tank.

My opinion only...no scientific backing or other proof outside personal experience.

Thanks Reed.

I will have 30-45 days to kill while the rock is curing in the tank. That might be a good time to experiment. Still would be interested in hearing if anyone else has anything to add.

I also agree that the reflectors you have are made to run to run front to back. I think that if you have the time it would be best to rotate them out. But like reed said in actual function they will probably be just fine as is. Good luck and great thread you have here. I will stay tuned and look forward to seeing this thing evolve. Good Job.

In your tank you are trying to span your lighting from MH to MH. the greatest spread comes from the sides of the reflector, if you run your MH the way you have them you are putting that spread from front to back which you dont need as you are not joining the light beams, so what ever light comes off that side goes out the front glass. If you turn them the other way you will have a better blend between the lights and will not loose as much out the front.

Mike

Hey sick, I think you need to bring your permit to that guy & make sure your all legit:D
Keep us posted on your progress!

Scooterman said:
Hey sick, I think you need to bring your permit to that guy & make sure your all legit:D
Keep us posted on your progress!

Haha, yeah. Well the electrical inspector finally showed up over the weekend and signed off on everything so now I'm in the clear. ;)

Although the permit cost $80... :mad:

Slickdonkey said:
Haha, yeah. Well the electrical inspector finally showed up over the weekend and signed off on everything so now I'm in the clear. ;)

Although the permit cost $80... :mad:
I would of happily printed you out that copy of your permit... for say only $40 guy! *Grinz*

Thanks Krish.

Hey, would anyone care to suggest where to put the return lines? I'm using 1" PVC for the returns and was going to just have one come up through each overflow, out a bulkhead and into some loc-line and aim one at each side of the tank.

I don't think it's all that important since there isn't going to be a high flow rate through the sump, but thought I'd solicit opinions anyway.

if you do that then you are going to have check valves on every return and make sure they are properly maintained. well guess you could get by with just one check valve on the outlet of the return pump. the way i did it was to bring them up to the top on the corners of the tank. i'm just going to put a siphon break right at the water line. i think i did mine this way to simplify on drilling though.

even check valves can fail/clog. I would plan siphon breaks at the top of the waterline.

Mat

Back