Help me design my new 240gal setup!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Good point Scooter. As you said before I think a coarser aragonite will work the best for me and the jawfish. I'm just concerned about increased maintenance.

Either sb will require something to clean it you can bet on that, a quick vacuum may go weeks before you need to do it again. It doesn't hurt to search sand beds & think about this first because I went from a 6" DSB in the main display to thin sb to BB over a long & trying time, so whatever you do research it until your blue. I'll dig up some good reads for you & post them.

Scooterman said:
I think In the main display I'd want a course sb, easier to vacuum, your jawfish will also love it. You have the fine sand in the fuge so it will be processing there. Have you ever tried MM (Miracle Mud)?

I have used MM for loing time on 2 of my tanks that are skimmerless, I love it. People who try it that hate it just dont know how to use it . It does require a length of time before you add Cheato or Calurpa, to a new setup so ammonia comes down to a manageable level, However for established tanks it can be added immediately. Leng Sy the developer has a 400 gallon SPS tank with his system and does beautifully. Changing Mud I do once a year and only 50% of it. Requires very high flow and minimal sandbed. Its A great product for me, and I recommend to anyone who wants a pretty maintance free system. But it has to be done right.

Oh man, Scooter. That's what I call information overload. I did pick up some good information though but now I only have more questions! But thanks, I'm sure I can find a solution if I keep reading.

Anyway, here are the pictures I promised. It's so nice to finally have the tank in the house. I haven't put the hood on yet, but as you can see it dominates the living room. I think we're going to need a smaller couch now or it won't be possible to enter the room! Here's a picture of the tank and finished stand. Check out the comparison in size next to my old 75 for a good idea of the scale difference.

View attachment 12440View attachment 12439

As you can see I've already added my first fish and an orange fuzzy crab. Evie wants to know why pigs can't go in the tank.
View attachment 12442View attachment 12441

Construction pictures

Here are a few pictures of the construction project. Holes are drilled right through the floor and into the crawlspace where the sump and equipment will be located. The closed-loop pump will also go under the floor.

Here's the entrance to my crawlspace. Actually, you don't need to "crawl", it's about 6 feet high.
View attachment 12443

A hole-saw extension came in handy. What a mess.
View attachment 12444

Here are a few pictures of the pipes and holes.
View attachment 12445View attachment 12446

Here's a picture of the completed closed-loop and return/drain plumbing.
View attachment 12447

That tank looks like a MONSTER!!!!:eek: Nice work so far again man...This will be one of those threads that will be around for ages as a great reference guide:)

I see you also installed the extra cross-members under the flooring. Lookin good guy! That wall in your house where your tank sits is definately going to be an eye catcher!!! *Big Smile*

Well, the plumbing is all installed and the tank is filled with fresh water. The tank did not crash through the floor. I had a major leak when I first filled the tank inside the house -- one of the closed-loop unions in the back of the tank had come loose. It was a real pain to reach over the top of the tank to tighten that sucker. But in the end, no serious harm done other than some wet carpet and a puddle under the house. I'll try to post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

In the meantime, I was thinking about what kind of sand to put in my fuge for a DSB. Home Depot sells a silica sand in 100 lb bags for $7. I've read some people say this stuff is fine and others fear it like the plague. Would anyone care to comment?

Ok gang, here are the latest pictures. The tank is ready for live rock as soon as I can mix up 300 gallons of saltwater... which probably won't be until next week. All the major plumbing is done. Pretty much everything from this point on will be "extras" to support water changes, drain to the gutter, and other things to make my life easier.

I've got two Sequence Hammerhead pumps: one for the return and one for the closed loop. Teed off from the return line is the feed for the chiller, chemical filter, and UV, which drains back into the return area of the sump. There is also a tee to the fuge, which will drain back into the same return area (Melev model F sump).

View attachment 12727View attachment 12728View attachment 12729View attachment 12730View attachment 12731

Baby #2 is due within a month so it looks like I met my goal of getting this thing up and running before then. The return lines are going to have to move underwater. They're just too noisy and create bubbles, even when there isn't much flow.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for helping me get this far! Hard to believe it's finally cranking away.

View attachment 12732View attachment 12733View attachment 12734View attachment 12735

I would still appreciate any comments, pro or con, on having silica sand in the fuge.

Dood the is some heavy duty plumbing there, whew!

Personally I don't like silica sand the particles are said to be sharper thus hampering a more diversified bacteria colony but like you said that is JMO!

ROFL! You need a drain for that collection cup man:eek: That's insane!!!!:p Looks like you got some really nice pieces of live rock! You should be able to do wonders with those pieces eventhough the first shot looks good to me even if you just tossed it in! When do you think you will get into setting up the rock the way you want it? Don't be like me man whatever you do!!! I spent 8 hours one time setting up rocks and ended up throwing up from mental exhaustion and my wife swore she was going to pitch the tank!(LOL) Wish you luck man...:)

Well, you know I think if I take out maybe 1/4 of that rock and make sure the rest is stable it won't look too bad. We have a baby due any day so if I'm going to get anything done in this respect... better be soon!

Well, you know I think if I take out maybe 1/4 of that rock and make sure the rest is stable it won't look too bad. We have a baby due any day so if I'm going to get anything done in this respect... better be soon!

That's great man! Congrats!!! Everyone is having a baby this summer so it seems! Gabby is due this summer, Brian's wife as well as mine! You are really cutting it close man:p Hope all goes well with the delivery:)

Back