help with loud pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

APch1ll3n

I just started cycling my tank and finally turn the pump on. But boy that dam Iwaki pump is buzzing like a bumble bee. Any1 have any suggestions? Looking for an external pump that I cant even notice it is there. thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    64.9 KB
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    44.7 KB
Could be it's vibrating on the stand, plus I see you have it hard connected to everything.
First thing I would do is replumb the pump with flex tubing between the sump and pump, plus flex tubing for the first couple inches on the out flow.
Then find some silicone hot pads or a stack of mouse pads to set the pump on.

I have the rubber piece that came with the pump underneath. But When I lift the pump up it still made noise. Think the pump might be bad. Just alot of vibration.

Could be it's vibrating on the stand, plus I see you have it hard connected to everything.
First thing I would do is replumb the pump with flex tubing between the sump and pump, plus flex tubing for the first couple inches on the out flow.
Then find some silicone hot pads or a stack of mouse pads to set the pump on.

I hate to say it, but this is good advice here. Any pump will be loud if care isn't taken to help quiet it down. Do you have any reefer friends with external return pumps you can compare your's to? Sometimes people's expectations are set to high. Most reef tanks have a bit of hum to them.

I have the rubber piece that came with the pump underneath. But When I lift the pump up it still made noise. Think the pump might be bad. Just alot of vibration.

Well, if your prepared to junk the pump and start over, I'd look at a eheim 1262.
But your still going to want to put as many anti-vibration, anti-noise methods in place. Just a thing I've learned, and it's not really going to cost much. A few hose barbs, a couple slip/thread couplings.

Another set of pumps that's suppose to be good are the Reeflo BlowHole external pumps.
They are short and might just fit in your stand,on the end of the sump, so the suction side comes straight out. That also might be causing some of the noise.

You have unions so replumbing is not a huge deal. When you have the pump out you can run it for a moment to see if the noise is still there. You should also pull the cover to service. A small rock can cause some frightening sounds.

You may have trapped air it too much/little flow. Play with the ball valves on the return.

Do you have a ball valve on the supply side of the pump? This makes service a lot easier.

Source;
Experience.

Last edited:
Since I am redoing the connection between the sump and the pump I am going to add a ball valve to make life easier.

I have a iwaki pump mine is a 30rlxt.

I also have a little giant 3-mdqx-sc.

both are noise makers but after running both I do believe my little giant needs some work but I they both have about the same motor noise level.

Trido said it best with this.."Sometimes people's expectations are set to high. Most reef tanks have a bit of hum to them."

I know mine where after buy a second pump. But here is my personal disclaimer I bought both my pumps used. So maybe by chance both my pumps are worn and extra noise but I am guessing not. Cause they are both very close in noise like I said. Good luck.. I hope to have water in my tank some time this week or buy the weekend. You are more than welcome to come over and check it out. I live in north kent east hill.

A big, hollow box will amplify the sound as well. Think of what the body of an acoustic guitar does for the sound when you pluck a string.

Some foam inside the stand might help quiet it a bit.

Iwaki's are a louder pump in general. they are a decent price and a work horse. but do have a good hum to them. if the hum gets to you that bad then I suggest looking into a reeflo series. I belive thats the one that is the best on sound. I would message becca at obd or call. but she is very particular about sound. so you could ask her about a different brand that is less noisy.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

also I would add that having your water cascade ime has greatly increased sound and micro bubbles. I would have the return side the same hight as the middle section. its worth trying without the headach of another swap.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

I have an iwaki pump too and yes they are loud. I figured out though that since the previous owner of the tank had installed ball valves on the return lines that when I closed the valve a bit the pump quites down. I also read that these pumps can handle a bit of back pressure, so back pressure will quiet the pump. Not as quiet as the reeflo, but a lot quieter than it is now. Dont know if you can in stall a ball valve in your return line or not, but if you can, thats what I would try.

I am thinking about making a enclosed box with sound damping material also with airport to cool the pump. Has any done this? Other option is to drill floor and run pump outside. Any1 done this also?

Back