Here is my 100 Gallon in wall project!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

Well first of all the tank will be FOWLR. I began construction on my wall last night (May 27th) as of today after about 7 hours total labor I have framed in the stand into a closet on the opposite sid of the wall and cut out the whole in the wall and re-framed it to fit my tank, also I have sheetrocked the area around the opening... lets just say that for 7 hours I have cranked out a lot of work on this project... So here are some photo's as to what I have accomplished so far.

These photo's show the wall before construction, the inside of the closet, and the size of the opening for the tank...

Here are some more photo's
the tank is located upstairs in our loft so I built a subfloor to distribute the weight of the tank over 115''x30'' rather then the tanks size of 60''x18''.
the other pictures show the framing into the existing wall to help distribute weight as well...

Here is a photo of the tank, Tom (bigt) helped install the overflow and drill the holes. I myself spent 8 hrs buffing out scratches in the front. lets say I will never go through that again!!! the second picture is the weight test :lol: thats my daughter Jocelyn helping daddy...

And last of all for now the photo's of the wall after sheetrock. and the inside closet view. I will be posting more photo's as I go so please by all means keep up to date with the thread and please let me know what you all think!

Matt and Niki

Looking great so far Matt,

Keep the pictures coming, nice to see the progress grow from an idea to reality

nice work
Duane

Thanks Duane, I am pretty good at all this building-designing-installing stuff, it just comes naturally to me. I thought up the design in my sleep :lol:
I will keep the pics coming as I proceed...

Matt

Looks great so far Matt! You really did get quite a bit accomplished in one day! Keep up the good work and I wish you all the best:)

it's looking good... i agree with Krish, you did a lot in just one day.
Good luck with the tank and keep the pictures coming as you do the progress :) .

Thanks Gaby, I will keep the pix coming for sure. I am still working on finishing the drywall right now, so much waiting time for the stuff to dry. ohh did I mention that I will never do drywall for a living? that stuff is no fun at all..:D

Matt

Wow Matt you weren't joking when you told me that you told me you don't mess around when it comes to home improvement. This looks to be the start of a great system!

You know what Matt? I was just thinking...If you lived in the Bahamas, it would take you probably 10 times as long to do what you did that day! Our building codes here are kinda "overkill" I guess because of being a country that is a high risk for hurricanes, so interior walls are hardly EVER, 2x4 and sheet rock. Almost every interior wall is solid concrete and I am talking concrete blocks, stacked one by one by hand and then once all up, the cement truck comes and pours cement down it from the top! You would have been "jack hammering" all day long!(LOL)

yeah Krish you know I dont think that I would have put it in the wall if they were cynder blocks:lol: you know your building codes in the bahamas are much different than Hawaii, down there most everything is single wall construction, could you imagine the inside of your house being 2x4's?

Thanks for the reply's every one. I appreciate the compliments and encouragement, it is a large project and takes lots of time and modivation to complete.

Matt

Looking good Matt, nice project, don't let krish feed you too much Bahamas bs, he lives in a straw hut :D

A little bit of progress!

Well here are a few update pictures, I havent had much time to work on it now that the 3 day weekend is over. I finished the sheetrock and painted the wall red (my wife Niki chose the paint color) let me know what you think of it, I also put the tank in place and put a 3 1/2 inch casing around it to give it the picture frame look... Next I need to figure out what im going to do for a sump/fuge I have all the pumps and plubming parts so as soon as i get a sump I can get it all hooked up and get some water in it.
Please let me know what you all think so far..

Matt

Behind the tank is a bedroom, approx 12x14 its in the closet that is 112"x30" plenty of room and I will build a new closet in the bedroom after I am finished...

Matt

Back