Here we go! 336 gal acrylic tank with CL-Suggestions Plse

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

2 more posts for your 12k mark. which is now 1 over. goto water fountain

<\hijack>

Hey Krish. Isn't even 2 - 1.5" drains a bit lacking for 6500GPH on this CL or am I looking at overkill as I usually do? Maybe go 3 drains?

Hey Krish. Isn't even 2 - 1.5" drains a bit lacking for 6500GPH on this CL or am I looking at overkill as I usually do? Maybe go 3 drains?

Do you mean for the suction for the pump for the closed loop? :)

Well, on a pump that size, 3 may be a good idea. I know I used 2 drains when I first did my closed loop on my cube with the single pump and the suction was very mild at each bulkhead, but when I re-plumbed the tank and added in another pump, I ended up only being able to use one single suction per pump and it was a big difference and the pumps were only rated at 1506 gph! So I can only imagine what a pump the size you will be using would suck so I personally would probably run 3 just to be safe:)

Thanks. That is what I was thinking also as most of the threads I have read, folks are using 3000gph pumps with 2 1.5's so I thought I should go more than that. You guys have been a lot of help. Now I am looking at hole placement so I can start drilling holes. I am thinking of 4 - 3/4" at about 8 inches down from the top, then the 1.5's at about the 15" level, then the other 4 3/4's at 22" down. My sand bed is going to be at 26" down (tank is 30 tall) so I hope that is enough clearance from the bottom jets or maybe I should think about going no lower than halfway to prevent sandstorms and put the suction ports toward the bottom.

Look at what your pump intake size is, and judge what you need for your suctions from there.

I'm using a Hammerhead pump for my Closed Loop. It has 1.5" inlet/output. I used a 2" header from pump up to tank... where I have 2-1.5" bulkheads for suction. Either bulkhead "should" be enough on its own, but I used two to help disperse the suction for my fish, hopefully allowing them to get unstuck if they ever get too close.

My pump is an AMP Master 7500. The flow is 7500gph with 2" in/out and 6500gph with 1.5" in/out. You can use it either way. It's coming with their 8 way manifold which is 1.5" in to 8 - 3/4" outputs. I am not sure whether I will use their manifold or not but it would sure make it simple. If I do use it I will run 2" up to the manifold before I reduce it down. Then all I would have to do is run hoses between the manifold and inputs to the tank. Easier maintanence also.

Here are pics of my tank and sump.

PB052316.jpg

PA282291.jpg

The sump needs a little reconfiguration yet. But it has been leak tested.

Now I am looking at hole placement so I can start drilling holes. I am thinking of 4 - 3/4" at about 8 inches down from the top, then the 1.5's at about the 15" level, then the other 4 3/4's at 22" down. My sand bed is going to be at 26" down (tank is 30 tall) so I hope that is enough clearance from the bottom jets or maybe I should think about going no lower than halfway to prevent sandstorms and put the suction ports toward the bottom.

Sand??? What's that??? :confused: (LOL) Yeah, you will definately need to keep the lower outputs from sitting too close to the sand, but your layout sounds good to me. If you plan on using lockline in the bulkheads then you can always adjust the nozzles up a bit if it is kicking up too much sand:)

I drew up the back panel in AutoCad but I can't figure out how to save it as a picture and post it here. Let me see if I can explain it.

Top row of 3/4" bulkheads down 8" from the top of tank evenly spaced 9.6" apart. Bottom row down 18". 3- 1.5" bulkheads spaced between those two rows at the -13" level. The pattern is shown below.

O O O O

O O O

O O O O

Any comments or ideas?

Les

thats the best solution for that many holes.

It maximizes the space between them. :)

Well, this is getting better. During our travels today my wife noticed a new house being built. When we got back home later in the day I went to the site and they were just getting ready to leave for the day. They had a pile of lumber in the front and said that someone comes in the evening to haul it away so they let me go through it a take a bunch of 2x4's and some osb. Looks like I have enough to get the stand built. That saved me a handful of change. Probably pulled enough for 2 stands. It is amazing what contractors throw away on these new homes.

Horray!! We can get to building now. Pump and bulkheads will be here tomorrow also. What to do first drill holes or saw lumber? What a decision.

That wasn't my house you were talking about huh!! :mad: (LOL) Sounds great man! Good luck on getting started! Make sure you post some pics:)

That wasn't my house you were talking about huh!!

Almost krish, but considering Lcattin lives in kokomo, Indiana it might be a little far for our buddie to be driving on a sunday cruse. :lol:

Congrats on the freebie! Of course, you do know that we require pictures of the stand and tank when compleated, right? :)

Back