Here we go! 336 gal acrylic tank with CL-Suggestions Plse

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have two 1 1/2" suctions that convert into a 2" supply to the small pump, I need to make one of these also, need some black, that sounds like it would do you better than 4.

We now have holes. This 3/4" acrylic is tough stuff. I broke 2 pilot drills on my hole saw getting those holes in. The 1 3/8" holes weren't bad but the 2 3/8" holes really put the drill to work. I think it was easier drilling glass. Anyhow, here's the photo.

PB212469.jpg

Looking good think the loc-line will cost a small fortune but well worth it!
Congrats, your locked in now! :)

Just curious - if you were going to put holes in the back of the tank for the closed loop, why didn't you run the overflow drains out the back as well? That way you could have used shallow overflow boxes and not have those big boxes in the tank.

Thanks for all the kind words. I am going to start working on the plumbing tonight if I can as it is supposed to be warm for a few days and I want to get it plumbed and leak tested so that part is finished.

I am still trying to decide if I want to run my sump returns up alongside the Durso's in the overflow or just run it up the back. I prefer my sump return water to enter the tank towards the front to help with that skimming action back towards the overflows.

Les

I went through the top on my returns but that is more a personal choice, I think leaving room inside the overflows is a good idea, my old ones were tight.

I bought the tank used and the overflows were already there.

Makes sense.

You might want to think about how much of the future motorized ball valve plumbing you can put in now. Perhaps using a T from the pump, connected with three true-unions to the pump and two sets of closed-loop returns. That way you can swap the motorized ball valve in fairly easily later.
(perhaps use some sections of spa-flex instead of rigid pvc for the sections going to the three unions, so that replacing the T with a motorized ball valve is a bit more forgiving in terms of exact pipe length measurements.)

Don -- That is what I am thinking on the MBV. That's why I am going even simpler for now, though it may cut flow down a bit. I going to use the manifold that came with the pump and hose barb ells on the bulkheads and hose it on for now. Then when I am ready for the MBV it will be easy to remove the fittings and hose and I will have a blank slate to plumb in the valve.

Les

The tank is now plumbed and running with tap water on the patio. One small drip to fix yet and it will be ready to go. The flow is great all the dirt that was in the tank is in suspension and moving around well.

Here's the latest.

P1012470.jpg

Les

Thanks for the comments. I will pump it out tomorrow before it gets cold again. Got do some work in the house now to get ready for it to be put in place. Sure glad my house is on a slab foundation though.

Don -- That is what I am thinking on the MBV. That's why I am going even simpler for now, though it may cut flow down a bit. I going to use the manifold that came with the pump and hose barb ells on the bulkheads and hose it on for now. Then when I am ready for the MBV it will be easy to remove the fittings and hose and I will have a blank slate to plumb in the valve.

Les

Just to make sure I understand - you are going to replace that white plastic piece with all the hose barbs coming out with the motorized ball valve (with appropriate hose barbs)?

How close to the wall will the tank be? Unless you drain the tank to move it for installing the MBV, you are going to be swearing at yourself later. Your arms won't be long enough to come in from the sides, and the 2x4 supports look like they will prevent you from coming in from the bottom. So from the top it will be! And pulling tubing off a hose barb can be a real b%@$# after the tubing has "formed" to the shape of the hose barb.

At a bare minimum, I would separate those hose barbs into two separate manifolds, and bring large-diameter tubing from those manifolds down into the stand. Join then together with a Y (or a T) in the stand, and then go into your pump with the single tube. That way, later, you can replace the Y with the MBV in the less confined space of the inside of your stand.

Back