Here we go! 336 gal acrylic tank with CL-Suggestions Plse

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pictures with be forthcoming as progress commences. Even though I have the sand for this tank, my wife and I are trying to decide now on sand or
BB. The main reason I was going to use sand was so I could reach the bottom of the thing being it is 29" deep on the inside. We have a 65 gallon tank that has a plenum and the pair of Maroon Clowns have got all the sand removed from the plenum in the back of the tank. They can't leave it alone. They carry it all to the front and try to cover other things up. They get rather frustrating.

Does it ever end? (I doubt it)

Have you looked at the member showcase forum, you will see some nice CL & plumbing designs! Sorry coming a little late here!

Even though I have the sand for this tank, my wife and I are trying to decide now on sand or
BB

That's definately going to be a personal decision. I love bare bottom, but it is an aquired taste:p

We have a 65 gallon tank that has a plenum and the pair of Maroon Clowns have got all the sand removed from the plenum in the back of the tank. They can't leave it alone. They carry it all to the front and try to cover other things up.

Well clearly your a terrible aqua-scaper. :lol:

There's a few things I think I am good at but interior design is not one of them, even underwater.

Interior, exterior, to a fish it's all the same.

Hey guys. I had some time to do some thinking this Saturday morning. First chance I have had in a couple of days as my Mother passed away Thursday night so we have been dealing with all the details.

Anyhow, I have been thinking that this tank is going to be up against a wall and I don't know if I want all the hardware on the back where I can't work on it. I already have four holes drilled in the top bracing of this tank so I was wondering about putting in 4 more and run all my return water from the CL through those aimed into the tank whever needed. As far as the suction to the CL pump, I was thinking about maybe something under the rock piles well screened. I had planned on using some plastic soft drink carriers which are about 4 inches deep to support my rockwork and I could put the suction ports under them. I could either run the input plumbing up through the overflows or behind the tank. That would only set the tank a few inches off the wall and it would basically eliminate any chance of having to get behind the tank to do any work.

What do you all think?

Les

How are you going to clean stuff that accumulates on the intakes?

that's exactly what popped into my mind. you'd have to put careful consideration into details of the design in order to make it work for you long term; by work for you i mean never saying to yourself "what was i thinking" after you've had to pull the rock apart ten times in the past month.
but, i'm always a fan of hiding these kinds of things to give the tank a cleaner look.

Last edited:
Here are some progress pics for you. I got the stand done today and the tank set.

PB182467.jpg

PB182465.jpg

PB182468.jpg

That is next. 4 - 1.5" for suction and 8 - 3/4" for return to the tank for the CL. Do you think the stand will hold 3500 pounds? Later on after all is set up I will cover the stand with panels instead of doors so I can just remove and have complete access to the sump area without anything in the way.

Last edited:
Your doing 4 1.5" suctions & only 8 returns?
What pumps are you using?
Stand should hold plenty, I like the removable panels, I have a few doors for quick access & a few removable panels & also a hidden door!

Now back to the holes, sketch up what your planning on doing, once drilled it is permanent!

Pump is an AmpMaster 7500. I was going to do 4 across the top down 8" and another 4 same location down 18" with 2 suctions on each side. I have the manifold for the pump which has 8 - 3/4" outlets on it. I was going with 4 suctions so there wouldn't be much pull on any one port. Is that overkill?

Hey guys. I had some time to do some thinking this Saturday morning. First chance I have had in a couple of days as my Mother passed away Thursday night so we have been dealing with all the details.

Sorry to hear that man...:doubt: Hope you are doing well. I can't believe I've missed this whole page! Sorry:oops: Your stand looks like it can hold a house so I wouldn't worry(LOL) Good luck on the holes! :)

Lets see I have 4200gph on one side 4 of the 3/4" bh's each one splits off at the bh to & "Y" that splits to two 1/2" loc-lines. This gives me great flow, then I have a 1 1/2" Hayward Actuated Ball valve, which switches sides to the other 4 outlets, two on top & two on the bottom, this happens every 5 minutes of so by design. On your Cl you will have enough outlets but all will be a steady stream, you may want to split then with either 3/4" "Y's" or even 1/2"s unless you do go with an ABV or MBV then you would need more outlets but would get that switching motion going on. Just a thought!

The MBV is something I have wanted to do but the pocket book won't allow it at this time. I was thinking that if I ever went that direction I would add a couple of 1" BH to each side centered top to bottom which should cover the flow. For now I was just planning on using Lockline Y's on the returns inside the tank to split the flow up. This tank is 30" tall but I am planning on about a 5" SB mainly, so it is a bit easier to reach the bottom of the tank. That's why the bottom row is only down 18" from the top of the tank. Don't want to blow sand everywhere. Plus if it would ever be converted to BB there would still be enough room to put another row of BH's further down in the tank.

Anyhow, I have been thinking that this tank is going to be up against a wall and I don't know if I want all the hardware on the back where I can't work on it. I already have four holes drilled in the top bracing of this tank so I was wondering about putting in 4 more and run all my return water from the CL through those aimed into the tank whever needed. As far as the suction to the CL pump, I was thinking about maybe something under the rock piles well screened. I had planned on using some plastic soft drink carriers which are about 4 inches deep to support my rockwork and I could put the suction ports under them. I could either run the input plumbing up through the overflows or behind the tank. That would only set the tank a few inches off the wall and it would basically eliminate any chance of having to get behind the tank to do any work.

What do you all think?

Les

I am so sorry for your Loss Les, I been there bro, Hope all is well with you and your family.

I just thought of another question.

When I get this tank up and running I will be doubling the amount of water that the current tank has. (The current tank is a 180) All the LR and livestock and water will be transferred. Will my bacteria level that is currently in the LR be sufficient to do a mass transfer? I basically have a bio ball chamber on the sump that I could load up with BB's for bacteria. Do you think that this would be a good idea to help get things going? If I just move all the livestock and water to the new tank it will be like doing a 50 percent water change. I have done it all at once in the past but never on quite this large a scale.

I wouldn't add bio-balls, your chances are the same as it would be swapping tanks, unless your adding new LR first or LS!

Thanks. I just checked out your Project X thread. Very nice Job. I am getting anxious to get the holes drilled. After seeing that acrylic suction cover that Tom made I am tempted to drop to 2 - 1.5" suction ports and build one of those screens. I have a piece of black to do it with.

Back