High Nitrates..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

No refug. I've ran some cheato for a little while just never could get it to grow. Which if it's not growing it's not doing any good. I even went and bought the same or sim to the bulb I think you bought from HD. Still no growth. Not sure if the light wasn't close enough or what but.... :confused:

That is puzzling... You're not dosing anything like Zeovit or Prodibio are you? Heard of at least one case where that killed the chaeto.

Actually I ordered my bulb online: http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html, see the link at the very bottom.

That is puzzling... You're not dosing anything like Zeovit or Prodibio are you? Heard of at least one case where that killed the chaeto.

Actually I ordered my bulb online: http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html, see the link at the very bottom.

Okay, Maybe it isn't the same bulb. I have one of those compact flours, the twisted desing in a 5k flavor. I'm not dosing anything either. I thought it was kind of wierd i couldn't get it to grow. Maybe I'll have to try and get a different bulb....:?:

Well, James...I don't run a fuge and have 0 nitrates. Good husbandry, great skimming, tons of flow to keep my rocks clean and small bio-load worked great for me with my cube so far:)

Good to hear. I'll get mine figured out sooner or later. It just seems wierd that it's a steady 20-25ppm.

I'm working on getting another Modified MJ to create some more flow. Might even look at replacing my return pump to get some more turn over rate. It's currently at about 700GPH which is about 10 times the tank volume. Might look to get 12 to 15X's. It will require additional or modify my existing overflow. Who knows.... I'll get it figured out sooner or later.. Hopefully sooner..:D

Be careful about too much flow through the sump; it's my understanding that generally you want it to match your skimmer rating.

Thanks Slick.. I'll have to look into that... I know I've heard all kinds of different opinions. Some say slow, some say fast.. Who the heck knows..

Okay, Here's a little update on this..

Been about 2 weeks now. I'm running carbon all the time, using a filter sock (replace every 2-3 days), skimming a little wet & feeding less. (Every other Day).

Just did a 10g WC yesterday and Nitrates still @ 25PPM 1 hour after WC.

I think I might have to try growing some cheato again. This didn't work the frist time. Couldn't get any cheato growth, but I as growing Coraline in my skimmer :(. So maybe I'll go get another/different bulb to see if can get it grow out this time..

I wouldnt rush into adding any extra work or equipment. I'd start the diagnosis over and look at the process that nitrates are produced. Your tank is converting waste to nitrates like its supposed to do. Where is this waste comming from? How can you reduce it? Is it being trapped(filter sock, sponge dead spots, sump floor)?

Don

James,
I had a problem with food build up in my overflow. Food would drift from surface of my coast to coast to area where dursos were located. Dursos would not grab the food and it would sink to bottom of overflow. Maybe cleaning your overflows, or maybe one of those Maxi jet Mods and a Micron sack in your sump. Things that I like to look at are additives, food, and areas that could be dead spots. I am betting you covered these.
I am wishing you a solved solution to your problem. I want to trail along and learn with others..
good luck,
Ed

Where is this waste comming from? How can you reduce it? Is it being trapped(filter sock, sponge dead spots, sump floor)?

Don

Thanks Don for the repsonse. But that's the problem I cannot figure out where it's coming from.

The filter sock I'm running now is changed every 2 or 3 days. My sump is clean, I have no sponges in the tank at all. I've cut back on my feeding. I blow off my rocks with a PH or baster a couple times a week. I replace at least once a week any filter media I have. I'm replacing the carbon once a week. The other option is my fish are producing to much.

I have a 1-Med. Blue Tang, 2-Med. Rabbit fish, 1-Med Yellow Tang, 1-Multi Barred Angle, 1-Clown and 2 Tail Spot Blennies. May be this is just to much Bio for the tank?

James,
I had a problem with food build up in my overflow. Food would drift from surface of my coast to coast to area where dursos were located. Dursos would not grab the food and it would sink to bottom of overflow. Maybe cleaning your overflows, or maybe one of those Maxi jet Mods and a Micron sack in your sump. Things that I like to look at are additives, food, and areas that could be dead spots. I am betting you covered these.
I am wishing you a solved solution to your problem. I want to trail along and learn with others..
good luck,
Ed

That's an idea you might be onto something there. I never thought to take a look in the overflow. Chances are I have 1-1/2 worth of junk in there.. Maybe I'll drop hose down into my over flow and kind of junk I get out.

Thanks Ed.

Thanks Don for the repsonse. But that's the problem I cannot figure out where it's coming from.

The filter sock I'm running now is changed every 2 or 3 days. My sump is clean, I have no sponges in the tank at all. I've cut back on my feeding. I blow off my rocks with a PH or baster a couple times a week. I replace at least once a week any filter media I have. I'm replacing the carbon once a week. The other option is my fish are producing to much.

I have a 1-Med. Blue Tang, 2-Med. Rabbit fish, 1-Med Yellow Tang, 1-Multi Barred Angle, 1-Clown and 2 Tail Spot Blennies. May be this is just to much Bio for the tank?

In order to have nitrates you have to have waste breaking down or your putting it in. Fish dont poop nitrates, there waste is converted to nitrates. Its in there somewhere. Like Ed stated check your overflows but if you find a big accumulation suck it out dont just blast it into a filter sock.

Don

In order to have nitrates you have to have waste breaking down or your putting it in. Fish dont poop nitrates, there waste is converted to nitrates. Its in there somewhere. Like Ed stated check your overflows but if you find a big accumulation suck it out dont just blast it into a filter sock.

Don

LOL.. I know Fish don't Poop nitrates but their waste will be converted to nitrates by the cycle right?

I just looked into the overflow and the bottom is covered with gunk.. I'm going to make some fresh SW. Once the Fresh SW is all mixed up I'm putting a hose down there and getting that crap out. Hopefully I just found my source. :)

You'll be surprised where waste builds up. Ever cleaned out your drain hose, pumps etc? You'd die!! :eek: I had a picture here of one cleaning of my sump and it was insane!! Hopefully you found the source:)

Here was one weeks cleaning of my sump when I had my 90gal! Just imagine a few months worth which some things go for before they get cleaned:eek:

LOL.. I know Fish don't Poop nitrates but their waste will be converted to nitrates by the cycle right?

I just looked into the overflow and the bottom is covered with gunk.. I'm going to make some fresh SW. Once the Fresh SW is all mixed up I'm putting a hose down there and getting that crap out. Hopefully I just found my source. :)

You just need to think simple. Your tank is bare bottom and you know that fish dont poop nitrates. Nitrates are comming from the nitrItes being converted to less toxic nitrates, your LR is doing this for you. You know its working because your nitrites and ammonia are 0. Since your tank is bb you need to remove anything you can before it breaks.

Don

Nitrates are comming from the nitrItes being converted to less toxic nitrates, your LR is doing this for you. You know its working because your nitrites and ammonia are 0.

Yeah...That's why I was thinking live rock saturation a bit because most of the conversion that is taking place with the waste going from ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate happen on the surface or the oxygenated areas of the live rock, but the denitification takes place within the rock in the anaerobic zones so it crossed my mind:)

Yeah...That's why I was thinking live rock saturation a bit because most of the conversion that is taking place with the waste going from ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate happen on the surface or the oxygenated areas of the live rock, but the denitification takes place within the rock in the anaerobic zones so it crossed my mind:)

I really doubt with a young high flow bb tank that is likely. The DO levels are not going to drop far enough, like they will within in a sandbed.

Don

Back