Hmmm what ARE akunochi an blackberry doing....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
Well sold the nano...tore down the 180....came home from Afghanistan....moved houses...bought a new race car...rebuilt the engine...and then....

SAM_0532.jpg

SAM_0531.jpg

Someone stole your tank!!!:eek: Nice looking stand and canopy. I'm surprised that the canopy is being held by itself like that, but I guess when the tank get's under it, then that's where all the support will come from. What size tank will this be and what are your plans for it? :)

Actually the canopy won't touch the tank at all. There is about 8" of standoff from the trim of the tank.

The tank will be a 75gal peninsula tank. So far I have been challenging myself to see how cheap I could restart a reef tank. I got the tank for free, a 50 breeder for 20 bucks, bulkheads for 12, wood for the stand from work. About 50lbs of dry rock for free as well. Oh and used reward points to buy the skimmer.

The plumbing parts and pump should be here this week sometime I hope so I can start cycling it.

Here is a breakdown of what the tank will be.

75 peninsula with beananimal overflow
50 breeder sump
eheim 1262 return pump
SWC 160s cone skimmer
Vortech MP 40
PFO dual 250watt ballast
2x lumenmax reflectors
Icecap 430 ballast
2x ati blue t5 bulbs

Sounds like a nice list of stuff!! Only thing I'd be worried about is the canopy going by the pictures as it looks like it is slightly leaning. Other than that, everything looks and sounds great! :)

The canopy is slightly leaning right now. I ha to move the stand again (wife). Now that it is in its home with some waterproof material between it and the floor, I will be using hurricane anchors to attach the uprights to the wall. Basically that will prevent the uprights from flexing at all and keep everything square. I o need to rethink a couple things however as I haven't left enough room between the canopy and the tank to really work. I am thinking some sliding rails or convert it to a floating canopy.

hmm sat back with a beer and did some thinking (dangerous)....stay tuned for canopy 2.0

The legs were braced, along with some welded iron that would have attached. The problem wasn't the bracing (which I hadn't applied yet, but rather the ability to move it to work in the tank. I'll check out that post, but I am almost done with my revision.

Edit: Wow love that 60 build. Pretty much the same frame work as my canopy too, I just hadn't anchored it all together. LOL. I'll have to read that thread tonight.

Edit: Wow love that 60 build. Pretty much the same frame work as my canopy too, I just hadn't anchored it all together. LOL. I'll have to read that thread tonight.

Haha!! Yea, Frankie did a nice job on it as you will see on the last page. Still has to finish up as I know work has been busy for him, but thought you might like to check that out seeing your builds were similar. :)

So.. I went in a slightly different direction. I added a pulley system with chain going to the four corners of the canopy. The chains then tie into coated galvanized cable which runs to two pulleys and down behind the stand. I am going to add a small boat winch to attach the cable to and use to ease canopy movement on my wife. The look isn't super clean, but is very functional.

You can also see the doors open here. Plenty of room to work on either side. I need to frame out and stain the long doors that will run up the back side of the stand to tie it all together. Threw the tank up there as a reference.

From the front door

SAM_0538.jpg

Dining room

SAM_0537.jpg

Front hallway from the informal living room

SAM_0536.jpg

Last edited:
Ummm that will really do the trick. Nice looking tank, welcome home, and if you need something to restart that tank of yours let me know.

Seth I am soooooooooooooo glad you are setting another tank up.... i dont have much to give you right now, but when it's up and ready I do have a couple frags i know you will want... It looks great so far, Can't wait to see it up and running.. IN PERSON... :)

Back