Hmmm what ARE akunochi an blackberry doing....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Seth I am soooooooooooooo glad you are setting another tank up.... i dont have much to give you right now, but when it's up and ready I do have a couple frags i know you will want... It looks great so far, Can't wait to see it up and running.. IN PERSON... :)

oooooooo I can't wait! LOL, Got a long cycle to go through first though.

Cool equipment list.
What are you planning to put in it?

I am planning to setup a couple Islands of live rock right now, hopefully connected via a thin vanatu rock style bridge. For live stock I am going to be focusing on Zoas, a couple chalices and acans. SPS wise I hope to be able to keep some encrusting montipora and eventually some acropora. Oh and Dendros of course!

Fish wise not sure. I know I would like at least 1 clam, a couple anthias if possible, and a golden header sleeper goby pair. I really wish I could keep a purple tang since they are of the smaller variety but I just can't. If it was a 90 or 125 I would get one in a heartbeat.

Well I just got put on an accelerated schedule finding out I have to leave for about 3.5 months again. So that seems like a nice time to cycle. I drilled 5 holes in the tank today, attached the rear upright doors, painted the back of the stand black, got all the plumbing bits for the most part (minus two pvc to hose line adapters), built the overflow box, and fixed the skimmer from dropping it. Thank god for weldon. I need to finish the fascia board that will go up behind the tank so you can't see through it to the wall and then start plumbing. My goal is to have the LR in there cycling before I leave. The down side is my reflectors aren't ready, I have no bulbs, and the powerhead is still about a month out before I can afford it, but I need to get water circulating before I leave.

Well I just got put on an accelerated schedule finding out I have to leave for about 3.5 months again. So that seems like a nice time to cycle. I drilled 5 holes in the tank today, attached the rear upright doors, painted the back of the stand black, got all the plumbing bits for the most part (minus two pvc to hose line adapters), built the overflow box, and fixed the skimmer from dropping it. Thank god for weldon. I need to finish the fascia board that will go up behind the tank so you can't see through it to the wall and then start plumbing. My goal is to have the LR in there cycling before I leave. The down side is my reflectors aren't ready, I have no bulbs, and the powerhead is still about a month out before I can afford it, but I need to get water circulating before I leave.

Good luck getting it all done in time!! Post pics before you leave! :peace:

Little update...now just waiting to find a pump and it should be good to water test

SAM_0547.jpg

SAM_0543.jpg

SAM_0546.jpg

SAM_0545.jpg

SAM_0544.jpg

Question,,,,,,,,, looks like you are planning some bottom spray bars.
Are they from your return pump or a closed loop pump?
If they are from your return pump, how do you plan on stopping the back syphon when the power goes out, or water change?

What pump are you looking for?

Finn good question. The bars are from my return, but weren't finished yet. They are going to turn up at 90* and then be angle to return the water in a X type fashion against the tank towards the overflow. The rest of the flow will be provided by a MP40 placed under the overflow most likely in reef crest mode. If that still isn't enough I'll add a MP10 by on the same pane as the return lines.

Maybe this will clear things up a bit. The MP 40 will be on the other side under the overflow box.

SAM_0549.jpg

SAM_0548.jpg

No not outlets...It will all be covered by sand so it was just a means to get to the other side of the peninsula.

My minimalist aquascape. I actually have dry rock left over. I guess I don't really try to cram 150lbs in and create a wall, I just go til it looks cool.

SAM_0557.jpg

SAM_0551.jpg

SAM_0561.jpg

SAM_0563.jpg

SAM_0564.jpg

SHE IS RUNNING!

I just got the pump in today from Chicas. The bean animal overflow took some tuning but is absolutely silent. The loudest thing in the tank is the skimmer! I love it.

Nice. Is it running fresh water or salt? I could have hooked you up with some chaeto as well to get your pod population going. just tossed a ton in the trash.

Last edited:
I'll get some pics once she clears up.

Chicas- Yeah I just kicked the saltwater in last night so she is def cloudy. I def could have used some cheato, but maybe I can get some from Luisse today.

On another note.....is it normal for a SWC 160 cone to lose their minds during break in? I can barely turn it down enough to keep it from overflowing the cup. I had to open the gate valve all the way and almost turn off the silencer air line.

Back