How are Quiet one pumps?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefbound

Im looking for a new pump for my sump rebuild and Im looking at the Mag Drive 2400 and the Quiet One 9000 (2328 gph) Im likeing the quiet one because of the lower power consumption, the gph wont make that much of a differance and the 10 dollar differance in price wont sway me eighter...
(prices at Foster and Smith).
Im looking to get rid of three pumps and run with one big one running all.
Does anyone have or had a Quiet one?

I ran 2 Quiet One pumps on my 38gal cube for a closed loop and one for a return and I have to say, they produced a lot of heat. My chiller ran more often for longer periods of time on the 38gal with less wattage of lights using the Quiet One pumps than it did when I used basically Tunzes and Mag drives on my 75gal. I remember one time turning off the pumps and closing the ball valves to seperate the pumps from the closed loop and when I re-opened the ball valve to release the water from the pump, the water was so hot that it scolded me by just sitting stationary in the pump for about 5 mins. Other than the heat issue, I think they are great pumps. They produce good flow and are truely pretty quiet :)

I have a Mag drive 950 that I use to mix and heat my pwc barrel,I'll start mixing around 8 am and by 11 am the water temp matches the main.
I have to say the heat issue bothers me a bit but I guess you potentially could get that with any pump. Does anyone else use them? Thanks Krish.

Mag pumps here. Not a huge heat gain, but some. I'm not extremely happy with the noise though. Mags seem to hum at a higher frequency. I run a rio 2500 and this pump runs much quieter than my mag.

Dolphin DP 2000 $80 Delivered on e-bay Quiet no heat 2000 GPH.

I know someone who returned a mag 2400. When I visited I could feel the floor shaking from 15 feet away..No exageration!!!!!!

:)

Paul

Dolphin DP 2000 $80 Delivered on e-bay Quiet no heat 2000 GPH.

I know someone who returned a mag 2400. When I visited I could feel the floor shaking from 15 feet away..No exageration!!!!!!

Paul

My 1200 is getting louder as it gets older,It does vibrate a bit too.
I searched ebay for the pump you mentioned and it looks like its for vinyl tube instead of pvc which I have...

Ed are you still plumbed into the back room? I would not think you would have too much of a heat issue since you are in the basement. People around here would go with a mag - can you have an external pump?

BTW
There is also a new guy starting a coral store in your area - we are planning a trip in late Sept early oct. Just starting out can't remember the name and the clubs site seems to be down to check.

Ed are you still plumbed into the back room? I would not think you would have too much of a heat issue since you are in the basement. People around here would go with a mag - can you have an external pump?

BTW
There is also a new guy starting a coral store in your area - we are planning a trip in late Sept early oct. Just starting out can't remember the name and the clubs site seems to be down to check.

Hello brian long time no talk how are things? Yes I am still plumbed in the back room and believe it or not I do have heat issue's down here in the basement..guess I did a good job on the insulation...
I got myself an acrylic 50 gallon gallon tank that Im going to use as my sump and get rid of the 40 breeder glass thats back there(actually its 47 gallon by the measurements), So I guess Im not against drilling a hole for an external if the price is good and low power consumption, I got the acryllic so I could drill holes to run pipe to a drain to help make pwc's easier.

"My 1200 is getting louder as it gets older,It does vibrate a bit too.
I searched ebay for the pump you mentioned and it looks like its for vinyl tube instead of pvc which I have..."

Mine is a dp 2000 it is connected to a threaded pvc coupler the other end is glued to Spaflex housing with a union in it to disconnect it if needed :)

Been that way for a while Just bought a new replacement a week ago the old one was over 3 years old and the impeller was replaced once but it just wore out !!

Mag pumps are fine BUT I have heard of several having problems with the larger models.
If you wanna go external. Those are generally more expensive but work fine. I have a dolphin 3700 external for a closed loop. Had to replace the seal once but other than that it's good .

Paul

Back