How clean is too clean..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Glad it worked out Sue. I can can help with the w/c on Friday evening if you need.

I'll look at your skimmer too if you want.

I guess I'm finally making the switch from "the other" board. Just no one there to help out much now...just lots of questions from people.

Todd

Hi Todd, glad you are going to be around now... I have found 2 guys starting up a tank maintenance business that help me with my water changes now. They are good at the heavy stuff. My ASM skimmer is now working great, but Thanks for the offer. Was panicking knowing you were heading this way but things are looking awesome again. Thankfully...

I think you'll love it round here, lots of great folks..

I guess I'm finally making the switch from "the other" board. Just no one there to help out much now...just lots of questions from people

Hey Todd, I have a few questions for ya..... Why do you, Naa, just kiddin.:badgrin:

Welcome, great forum...

Great Sue, I'll see you Friday evening.

Please PM your number on MAAST.

I will say, on topic, that I've run systems from too low to too high on nutrients, through experimenting. I've actually lost sps through going super low nutrient with a bare bottom system. I was feeding almost nothing, using Ozone, and skimming super wet. My colors also sucked.

Todd

I think that tanks can be too "clean". I think this is whay many Zeovit users have problems sometimes. I believe that Zeovit causes a tank to be very "clean" and that the regulation of additives to keep that system going is a fine line. In such a system, changes become magnified in effect. I used it for quite some time with success, but then had some problems that I found were not related directly to Zeovit, but rather magnified by the "clean" environment. I stopped using Zeovit and let me tank "go", so to speak. I have found that growth improved and colors got worse, initially. The colors reverted after a few months on some corals, stayed worse on others and got better on a few. Some corals never changed at all. BUT, losses from either tip recession or base recession were much fewer.

All of this just reinforces something that I have always known. Stability is more important.

Mike, I think you just hit the nail on the head. Stability IMO and IME is the key to the whole thing and that thing being keeping sps corals and keeping them successfully. That means long term, not keeping them a few months but years. That alos goes back to what I was seeing happening in my system. My numbers had never been so stable in all the years of keeping sps corals and to see what I was seeing freaked me out. I had no idea what was going on. Thankfully thats past and I must not have as clean a system as I maybe thought.

I am going to give the last update on my tank cause it's doing so good. The tank is back to crystal clear and my acropora and montipora are growing super fast again. Colors are back on everything that had lost some color. The tank had 2 extra large water changes of 20g 1 week apart and 1 polyfilter was added. It took 3 weeks to get the tank back to where it was before the reason was figured out.

Back