how much rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i think its going to be a reef but not sure
maybe you guys can help me i have two (number 3 is on its way :) ) tanks i would like on to be a fowlr and one a mixed i have a 55 and a 65
the 55 is set up to be a reef but people tell me its not the best choice because i have a dsb and the tank doesnt give much acuascaping room
what should i do?

I had a 55 stocked with coral for two years, I decided to upgrade, because I didn't like the stand, and I bought a 75. I could have kept it, and just kept the corals trimmed. However, bigger is always better IMO.

ok then the third tank i am getting is a 75 should i use that one instead of both of them
(i havent even been in there hobby a year and i am going on my third tank) wow it so fun

Hi Roscoe! I have a 65 gallon with 100# and thinking about more.

Whats going on Willie hows is your tank now? I hope it is doing better! You have alot of space to fill in there buddy. I will have to come by and check out your tank one of these days.

ok then the third tank i am getting is a 75 should i use that one instead of both of them
(i havent even been in there hobby a year and i am going on my third tank) wow it so fun

I would slow down before you get burned out. I have 4 tanks, and it is a lot of work, and super expensive, but fun. There is a lot to learn though, and many expensive mistakes can be made.

I personally would go with the largest tank. More water volume will give you a little more room for error in water quality.

I love my 75. But then again, I love them all!

I've been in 5 months and have 4 tanks setup. I started with an 8G nano. I added a 54G bowfront corner. Then I added a 125G acrylic. The fourth was a 14G nano originally intended as a QT but we moved the 8G inhabitants into the 14. The 8G now houses ghost shrimp for my eel.

Now I'll be adding a 15G tall as my QT - so that'll be 5 tanks in 5 months... sheeesh!

I think less rock is more.
that old rule of needing 1.5 lbs per gallon is hooey

If you seriously can even fit 2 pounds of rock per gallon in your tank you have one of a couple things going on here.

1. It is dense garbage rock

and/or

2. It is stacked WAY too tightly together to even think of getting good flow through it. you have areas that detritus inevitably collects and rots and places of poor flow

go with as much rock as looks good to you. Stack it openly and get good flow through it and you will have a better biological filter than any tank with 2 pounds of rock per gallon in it regardless of how much your rock may or may not weigh

Lifting your rock off the substrate helps your flow situation and reduces(or eliminates if done right) places for crap to collect and rot

jmo
i actually use acrylic rods to make my reefs hollow. If i cant see the rock it is just in the way of good flow

Last edited:
I'm with the less is more group, as well. I have maybe 120 lbs in my 120. Maybe. Corals grow if you let them, and they'll need that space. Fish swim, and will need that space, too.

LOL Guess I'm there with less is more also, I have about 80lbs in my 125 & won't need more. One thing to look at is porous rocks, open & lots of surface area for denitrifying bacteria to grow & live. I had 2lbs per gallon in my old 100g tank & it looked great but harder to maintain also. Think about it, this LR is living & within itself with bacteria, this is a bio-load that needs to be maintained & fed which needs more cleaning & care. I find open rock structure allows more water to pass around, so that is very important, also flow & well designed flow is one of the most important thing in a reef tank. IMO
HTH

I am also with the less is more, I have 120-130lbs in my 130gal tank. I also prefer larger pieces, especially in a larger tank. It is much easier to stack and forms overhangs, caves and openings. In fact when I originally set up my 130 I bought some rock here on RF. It was a mix of small and large pieces, I ended up moving a couple dozen smaller pieces to my FOWLR and buying 5 large pieces to replace it. I really like the results.

I think the best rock is very porous and therefore lighter for its size. I do not think I could fit 2 lbs per gallon in my 130 with the type of rock I have, it would be crammed full and packed tight!

I have some very porous rocks in my 40b about 6 large peices each weighing around 15lbs and most of it is suspended off the bottom of the tank and I have very good flow in it. I think it is all in your aquascaping there are alot of caves and ledges in there also all in a 40b yes thats right over 80lbs of live rocks.

Back