How to pump water up to the 2nd floor!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaredpilot

I'm still in the planning stages and hope to be making some progress shortly but I'm planning on putting the aquarium on the 2nd floor. There is access to a window nearby and the garage sits directly below. I'm planning on pumping all the water from a bin in the garage that will be connected to a ro/di unit to the aquarium for water changes but I'm not sure what kind of pump would be capable of doing such a task. I figure its about 35-40 ft. of hose.

I just can't see myself carrying water up and down the stairs in this large of quantity

Any suggestions and possible price ranges on pumps?

Takes a monster sized pressure pump to raise water that high, and that uses a lot of juice. Use water pressure and have the RODI water end up in a bin upstairs for larger water changes. The rest of the time can use a pail.

I do about a 40 gallon water change, once a week, up stairs. No, not my own tank...lol. Unfortunately, I have no choice, as the person's utility sink, RO/DI unit and water storage container are in a laundry room, downstairs. I use a Mag18 & a 100 foot Python to get the water upstairs. I'd estimate that It's about 85 feet, total length, as well as up a flight of stairs. Even with a Mag18, it's a pretty slow process. I wouldn't mind having a Mag24, to speed it up some. I first tried it with a Mag12 and ended up with just a trickle, by the time the water was pushed up the stairs.

Alright guys, I've purchased a Mag 18 pump to get it up stairs, and I also purchased a 32 gallon Brute garbage can to to store the water, now I'm curious what type of hose should I use to pump it up with? I assue some hoses will add unwanted chemicals to the water, I need it to be flexible so I can store it neatly in the garage when unused. Any suggestions here?

i've been think about doing this as well, so thanks for asking the question. :)

anyways, is there a difference between the pumps that have UNO in the name? i'm looking at the tarpon.

thanks!

These are Pressure rated pump, made specifically for lots of head pressure!

aquarium on the 2nd floor. garage sits directly below.
35-40 ft. of hose.

Any suggestions and possible price ranges on pumps?

It might be 40 ft of pipe but only 12-16 feet of head pressure. It depends mostly on what the pump is for. A return pump? a closed loop pump? RO/DI top off?

If I understand right, your only trying to get RO water from a storage bin in the garage to a top off bin under the tank. If thats the case, why not let the water pressure of the house, pump that water straight from the unit into the top off bin?

Last edited:
It might be 40 ft of pipe but only 12-16 feet of head pressure. It depends mostly on what the pump is for. A return pump? a closed loop pump? RO/DI top off?

If I understand right, your only trying to get RO water from a storage bin in the garage to a top off bin under the tank. If thats the case, why not let the water pressure of the house, pump that water straight from the unit into the top off bin?

I'm pumping RO water for water changes upstairs to the 2nd floor from the garage below. I have the bin setup and I'm going to pump the water up through a hose to the 2nd floor utilizing the mag 18 pump. What kind of hose should I use though? I want to make sure it won't harm the water....

The Mag 18 should be able to get the water up there assuming you are going virtually straight up from the bottom floor. Did you check the flow chart at Marine Depot? You can use some clear 3/4" ID tube found at Lowes/Home Depot and a 3/4" FTP to 3/4" barb adapter to connect to the tube. You should be able to wind that up when you are done for storage.

Just make sure you get tubing with a thick enough wall thickness as to not kink. Keep in mind that once warmish water starts flowing through it, it'll soften up, and kink a bit easier. If you can find the same tubing that comes with Pythons, it'll work great. I use a 100' python.

Personally I've had good luck with a RV/drinking water hose--designed for potable water use.
Been using the same one for about 2 years now with no ills effects to my reef--simliar to: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
(note: the one I found did NOT have brass threads!)
Easily identified by white with blue stripe.
(I think I found them outside in the garden/pool section last time.)
But don't forget to pickup a 3/4" FPT to GHT adapter though! ;-)

Personally I've had good luck with a RV/drinking water hose--designed for potable water use.
Been using the same one for about 2 years now with no ills effects to my reef--simliar to: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I like this, I do currently have a 25' python, which I'm sure I could also use inline with this tubing to make it work!

Can you specify what this is: " 3/4" FPT to GHT " and where I would find it? I'm guessing its a reducer for the hose to convert it to 3/4" but I'm not certain...Thanks

I use a mag 5 on my rodi water bin and it pumps the water, and it pumps the water 5 ft up, 6 ft horizontal and another 3 ft up with no problems with 1 inch pvc

Can you specify what this is: " 3/4" FPT to GHT " and where I would find it? I'm guessing its a reducer for the hose to convert it to 3/4" but I'm not certain...Thanks

Ah! Yes, it's just a double-ended hose-coupler, one side connects to the mag pump (and it's 3/4" standard Pipe threaded output); the other end connects to the Garden Hose (with it's Garden Hose Threaded input, aka "GHT" ;-)

Usually found in the garden or plumbing sections.

I would just buy my ro at safeway in the dispensary and carry the ish. But thats just me.

it may be RO but it is not RO/DI

If you are talking about the machines in front, you might want to check the date it was last serviced. Depending on the quality and cost of your reef it might be worth it just to buy your own RO/DI unit.

wow I use a maxi 1200 to move water thur a 1/4 line about 30 feet with 10 feet vert... but its slow and only top off.

if your talking like a sump look for massive pumps... or something like a pool pump sized one

www.thefilterguys.biz

Back