I want to buy a new tank...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Husker12181

I just bought a new house and since I will be moving I decided to upgrade my tank from my 75g to a 200g. Looking around I found that Marineland has an all inclusive tank called the 200 gallon Marineland Monterey Deep Dimension Super system tank. (here's the link)

Does anyone have any thoughts about this set up? Here's what I was wondering...
- Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with this stand-tank-sump-equipment combo?
- I haven't found one, but is there a comparable deal out there?
- Do you think I can piece the tank, stand & equipment together for cheaper?

Any other feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

its nice if you want to get every thing all in one, but i bet you could part it out and spend less. and it maybe more fun to pick out the parts you like.

What sort of tank do you envision turning it into? The reason I ask is that the equipment called out on the site would have to be upgraded to keep anything but fish only. Personally, I'd be more inclined to go with one of their stand and tank kits and add my own sump equipment, lighting, and water moving equipment. Depending on whether you're looking at the Standard or Pro 200G tank that's a savings of approximately $1000-1600. If you're a DIY type you can build your own sump to save some more cash and sink some cash into lights, skimmer, and pumps.

Mike

It will be a Reef set up with live rock, coral, fish.

I did notice the lights that came with the all in one deal had two 150w metal halides and 4 long T5 Bulbs, I looked up how much it would cost standalone and its about $1,000.

As for the sump I totaly agree I do not currently use Carbon or bio wheels as I prefer the more natural live rock with protien skimmer filtration. So I would have to either buy a different one or modify the one that comes with.

I'm curious as to where you got that quote from. Was it your local jeweler?

A retrofit 2x 150watt halide + t5s will run you 100-150 for the mh ballasts, 50 for the t5 ballast, 50 for all the reflectors (this is if the ballasts don't come with them, which they usually do especially if you get one from dang^)

I'd say just piece one up yourself.

Also, 2 150 watt halides aren't going to be enough for any hard corals/clams/nems.

The lighting system that comes with it is here
its the 60' one

I think I am leaning towards peicing my setup together, although I did that with my 75g and it was just a huge pain and I feel like I spent more money in the long run.

Clown, wouldbe enough lighting in a 72x24x24"(180) tank for sps/clams? I know I need 3 MH but at what wattage?
I'd suggest a retro fit as well.

I did a little research and it sounds like that odyssea light system has a problem with ballasts burning up and tends to be underpowered, and I don't see an internal timer.

The Marinland one comes with an internal timer, what looks like better quality throughout the whole system, and 4 total T5 bulbs but it is $500 more.

I guess I will have to do some more research .......

Ouch, a internal timer is crucial on those combo fixtures. I'm going to design and build a hood just for my lighting system given it's so much cheaper to do so and you don't sacrifice quality.

So I realize 2x 250Metal Halide is best but how would 3x150Metal Halide fair in comparison? I already have 2 150's and I could buy a third.

I did a little research and it sounds like that odyssea light system has a problem with ballasts burning up and tends to be underpowered, and I don't see an internal timer.

The Marinland one comes with an internal timer, what looks like better quality throughout the whole system, and 4 total T5 bulbs but it is $500 more.

I guess I will have to do some more research .......

The odyssea lights have upgraded there ballast. It was the old silver ballast that had problems. I ran a Odyssea fixture on a 90 and it was great, just replace the MH bulbs, they suck. But the T5s are really nice .

I would check out this guys website people give his lights pretty good reviews and you can add a lot of options to them. I'm going with his 72" T5 setup it comes with 8 60" bulbs staggered built in fans built in timer and a remote control to override the light schedule if wanted all powered from one cord. I don't know what ballest he uses on mh but he used the same ballast for the T5's that I got with my Tek lights for my old tank.
Lighting - Catalina Aquarium

^ what blk said.

Odyssea is now on their second generation after the original 'burning' ballasts.

a single good reflector will cover ~24x24" so depending on what tank you're getting, get 2 or 3.

And yes If you had 3x 250watt you could definitely do most sps/clams, but you're going to have to place them in the upper half of the tank.

Oh well, all mh will cover an area 2'x2', but the light penetration is dependent on the wattage. A 150 watt halide is going to cover the same footage as a 400watt, but the 400watt will be able to grow sps on the bottom of a 24" tank where as a 150watt will only be able to do sps on the top 1/2.

Wow I was considering getting a tank that was close to 30 inches deep but the price it will cost to get the Metal halides I am not sure is worth it.

if you get 150w mh you will be the guy on here asking us why you can get good growth and color in the near future. knowing what i know now for that size of tank i wouldn't do anything less than 3x250w mh and 2 T12VHO's.

Back