Icecap 660 wiring question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

I know what wires go where. My question is if you can wire the like color wires together into a single wire and extend them to the two wire coming out of the T5 retro end together? Or, is it better to run each wire individually and why? When I tested all my stuff I did the method of tieing the red to the red, the blue to the blue, etc and connected a single wire from there to both pigtails together coming out of the light end and it all seemed to work fine. Does that create more heat and raise the chance of an electrical fire?

ahhh...660 wiring...
one of my favorite things to do...lol
well, let me put it this way...if the bulbs are firing, then DONT TOUCH IT!!
you got it right. if it was wired wrong, the bulbs wouldnt fire at all, just flick on for a second then go out.
the one benifit to using a 660 to fire t5's is that they will be overdiven to 80watts instead of 54 watts. just make sure you change them every 9-12 months because they will fade quicker.

Thanks Mark but they aren't firing at all... Yet. I am just wiring them up now for the first time in the hood. When I did my testing to make sure all the used parts I bought worked they fired just fine using the single wire jumper method. I think I will do the same in the hood to reduce the number of wires and connections.

Back