Ichthys Nano Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nice rock work, where are you at with lighting?:)
Funny you should ask. After much deliberation and research and agonizing hand wringing, last night at 7pm I placed the order at Marine Depot for a JBJ Unibody 54 watt LED. 12 blue and 6 white 3 watt. Then 28 minutes later I got a PM from a fellow reefer that they were parting their tank and had a CREE 60 watt fixture available at less than half the price i was paying for the JBJ. I jumped on it and then called to cancel my MD order, and was told it had entered their "shipping process" and culdnt be cancelled. The customer service guy said he would go out to the warehouse and try though. Got call back around noon today, he was able to cancel the order. So, I am now going with the CREE 60 watt fixture, 10 blues 10 whites, separate dimmers, yeah! Will take pics and review once i have it installed. I do need to figure out how to mount it though, I dont have a clear shot to cieling for mounting cables so will have to rig something. Thinking about putting it on an articulating arm TV wall mount thingy. Ideas?

I am trying to decide how to hang or affix my Stark LED light fixture above the tank. It comes with a cable hanging kit, however I am unable to utilize this as I do not have a clear shot to the ceiling, there are shelves in the way. I dont want anything resting on the rim of the tank, I dont want anything next to the tank, I am shooting for a "floating" effect, so will probably try to rig something from the rear. Any ideas?

That's a really cool setup man. The install was really clean. Looking forward to seeing it all stocked up! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you to all for the kind words and support. In regard to hanging the light, shelf brackets would be problematic because the tank is at an angle to two adjacent walls, and would need a bracket from each wall and it would just look too ghetto and get away from the "classy" or "clean" look I am shooting for. I have done a lot of searching on hanging methods and I have come up with something which I believe to be unique, I have never seen it done anywhere else. Not going to spoil the reveal till I have it installed, ordered some parts and stuff, will post pics this weekend. I am really excited about it..
On a different note, tank equipment is being revised. I just sold the Euro-Reef skimmer and have purchased an SCA-301, its smaller and should do the job, has good reviews on RC. My return pump is a Tunze 1073.020 which is 600+ GPH and has to be throttled WAY down to allow the overflow not to gurgle and the splash in sump to be too much. The combination of a larer pump than needed and throttling it back is causing way to much noise and vibration so I will be replacing the Tunze with a smaller return, maybe a quiet one 1200 or a RIO, not sure.. I was really excited about the Tunze and its an awesome pump, too awesome for my little setup.. Really dont feel like troubling Barrier Reef with a return as they have been so good to me, so I have the pump if anyone wants it, Tunze 1073.020 cost 89.99 3 days ago..

Now that is my kind of rockwork! Never hurts to rod and cement them together to prevent avalanche...
Reworked the rock and got it somewhat where i want it, probably wont be the last time i fiddle with it.. what do you think??

nanobuild023-1.jpg

nanobuild024.jpg

Update. The Euro-Reef RS80 and the Tunze 1073.020 are gone and have been replaced by a SCA-301 and a Eheim +2000. Here are pics of the skimmer, overall I am pleased with it, compact, quick shipment, well packed, it has a few minor imperfections I will discuss later, just put it in sump this morning.
nanobuild027.jpg

nanobuild026-1.jpg

OK, lots of action in past week on nano, so i got the lights up, they look as if they are floating, look ma, no wires! Can you tell how they are put up?
dal007.jpg

dal002.jpg

OK, lots of action in past week on nano, so i got the lights up, they look as if they are floating, look ma, no wires! Can you tell how they are put up?
dal007.jpg

dal002.jpg

That looks great!! A floating hood!
Give us a hint.
I'm stumped.......

90 brackets inward screwd to the wall of course no brainer.

Uhhmmm... no. Close, but no.

I used an articulating arm, LCD TV mount, and then ertrofitted the plate to attach to a chassis i built for the light. Think you can see it in these pics. The awesome thing about it is the light just swivels out of the way for tank maintenance, easy as pie.
dal004.jpg

dal001.jpg

Last edited:
I think the light fixture is kind of ugly, doesnt fit the decor, so I am having a light shade custom built that should be here tomorrow, it will fit over the entire fixture assembly and hide everything.

Lamp Shades

OK, I mentioned I was not impressed with the look of the lighting fixture and so I built a cover/canopy/shade thingy, not sure what to call it. Used 1/2 poplar wood glued and screwed and covered with fabric. What do you think?
am009.jpg

am008.jpg

am014.jpg

am011.jpg

I had to move all corals down to the sand bed as my new RBTA is making the rounds of the tank, extended tour, and knocking everything over in his wake. Am hoping he will find a spot and settle down.
am028.jpg

am026.jpg

am024.jpg

My clowns seem to like bare bottom, they keep clearing the front corner of all sand.... hmm..

Back