ID for Weird Purple Algae please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

This strange purple algae (at least I think its algae) started growing on my live rock about 7 months ago and since then it has overtaken the tank. My tank is a little over 2 years old.

It looks fluffy but has the feel of an SOS pad when you pull if off and it drys. I can sometimes peel a clump of it off a rock by hand but very small pieces will break off and I fear this has helped it spread.

I cannot find a picture of anything like this. At least its kind of pretty.

I use Elos and Sailfert tests and my tank parameters are:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite .02
Nitrate less than .1
dKH 11
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1400
Salinity 34 (Specific Gravity 1.0256)

Here are some pictures.

Does anyone know what this is and how I get rid of it?

Attachments

• 100_0401.jpg
    100_0401.jpg
    76.2 KB
  • 100_0402.jpg
    100_0402.jpg
    90.1 KB
Can't help with an ID, but I will say it's one of the best looking algae's I have seen :)
From the description, I would assume it's some sort of macro, if you were closer I would ask for a piece for my overflow turf scrubber. lol

What are your PO4 levels? Is there anyway you can get a better pic of the texture and shape of the "algae". Maybe pull a small peice of rock out, in a small bucket of water to show the shape and texture? Does it come off in a mat, or peices? By your description kind of sounds like a turf type, if it is algae? Have you tried any Em. crabs? I had a small, green turf that started, Em. crab took care of it. Maybe light deprivation might help?

Said to be some pretty bad stuff, hard rid of. Seems light deprivation is one of the best methods, said manual removal helps spread it. May want to try to find something to eat it.

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and ideas.

1. Its not Purple Clove because I have that in the tank too and know the difference. It also doesn't look anything like Asparagopsis taxiformis.

2. Don't have any PO4. I use RO water produced by my Crane Environmental EPRO 150 GPD Commercial Reverse Osmosis System. I do 30 gallon water changes every week.

3. It can come off in a mat if its thick enough and I can get a good grip on a piece from the bottom but if not then it breaks apart in teeny little filiments and disperses quickly.

4. I had 3 Emerald Crabs but don't know if they are still alive - I last saw one at night quite a while ago.

5. I have a 72" AquaticLife light Fixture with 3 150W 14,000K HID lamps and 4 36" T5 HO 39W 420/460 lamps. I replaced all lamps on May 1 - a month ago.
My photo period is T5's from 9am to 9 pm and HIDs from 12 am to 6 pm.

I will get some out of the tank and take some pictures of it later today.

I think this is a first for me! There's someone who may know which direction to point you in. I'll see if they are around :)

Last edited:
Jill Is this algae soft or more hard and stiff like SOS pad. It looks like coralline algae. Your pics are kinda blurry so it is had to make out structure. However, I have a large marine algae book ID library and can find nothing like it yet. I will add that in tanks, meaning if this algae came from another tank, which came form another tank, which came form another tank, marine algae's often take on a new look where even real algae experts with the algae in their hand can not ID it.

Thanks Boomer,

I've attached a picture of a clump I took out of the tank. I have to tear it off the rock and it takes the whole surface of the rock off when I do - down to white. Its only easy to take it off when it gets thick like this. It does form a mat and its soft but stiff like an SOS pad. It looks more reddish out of the tank as you can see in the picture. I've had red turf algae before but this is different stuff. I couldn't take the red turf off the rock when I had it.

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    56.9 KB
Well, that helps, the purple is very misleading. What I need is a close up of the algae. I need to see a clear crisp in focus pic of the branches. Now it is like guessing on at least 12 like it.

A close up something like these, so I can see the branching and structure.
VLC024_Red_algae.jpg

Seaweed-Lomentaria%20articulata13-02-09.jpg

bluealgae002.jpg

Does yours look like this which is Polysiphonia sp

o_pollan.jpg

or is it more like this

Jania sp
Seaweed-Jania%20rubens09-05-09.jpg

Hey Krish I meant to thank you yesterday for getting Boomer involved here. I really appreciate it.

Boomer - I will get a better camera and try to get a macro close up of the stuff as soon as I can. And again thank you.

Thanks for the pictures Boomer.

The Jania sp. seems the closest but mine grows more evenly on tiny branching shelves. I will get a picture. A little of it would be kind of cool but it is really a pest in my tank and I know I am overfeeding so I am going to try to cut it down. I still really want to know what it is.

Hey Jill, I had some similar algae starting to over-run my tank last year. Preferably looking to find a natural way to control it, after a little reasearch purchased a Kole Tang from Les @ WPH and he/she absolutely devoured it then has done an awsome job of keeping it in check. My Yellow and Powder Blue Tangs graze abit on it but the Kole has a definite liking to it. Do you have any of the Bristle-tooth Tangs in this tank at the moment and is this your 29g or 300g system ???

Todd

Hey Todd,

I just now saw your post. Thanks for the advice. Don't have a Kole or Bristle-tooth. I have a Purple Tang and a Magnificent Rabbitfish but neither of them have any interest in the algae. The Purple is very aggressive and wouldn't tolerate the addition of another tang at this point. The algae and fish are all in my 325 g. My nano houses LPS, Christmas tree worms, Elegance, Zoos, Trachy, Donut and two clowns but doesn't have the algae - thank goodness.

I just bought 3 emerald crabs yesterday and they immediately started picking at the algae but its hard to believe that those little guys would really be able to make much headway. We will see.

In the meantime I am letting it grow thick again. I had pruned in down so I could get some pictures but Boomer said I need a better close up so I will get a freind to take one as soon as its got some shape to it again.

Jill one thing I have found if you DO want to add the Kole is this.

Borrow or use a large fish trap and place the new tang in there. Place it in the same tank as the purple and let them go at it with the fish trap in between them. Eventually the old tang will grow accustomed to his presence and let him be. Then you can release him into the tank. I suggest moving the fish trap around the tank so the purple tang doesn't grow accustomed to the kole only being in that one small area. This will work for intorducing any species into an otherwise aggressive tank.

Back