Import LR, fishs or corals in Canada

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

altho

2280, 10 e avenue, St-Georges, Beauce, Québec
Good Morning and Happy New year,
If i import LR(240 lbs, fishs or corals in Canada.
What are the rule at the fronteer for this product?
The price in USA is very good: LR: 4.00$/lb USA and 9.00/lb Canada the same product.
Because I live near of fronteer at St-Georges Beauce at the limit of Maine and my friend to go across the fronteer with the stock.
I save $$$$.
Excuse my English.

Premiere, bienvenue au Reef Frontiers!

I've only crossed the Canada/USA border once. I experienced a much more difficult time getting back into USA than getting into Canada. The Canadian border patrol was very friendly, and asked the simple "where are you headed?" questions. The American BP wanted to know where I lived, why I was here, why I went to Canada, how long I was there, if I had any fruit, and on and on.

My guess is the American BP asks you all sorts of stupid questions. Tell them you're site seeing for the afternoon, and headed back home. Headed INTO America, you have nothing to hide, even if they search your car. Go get your rock, tell the Canadian BP the same, you were site seeing. I know Hawaii has laws against transport of LR, but I don't believe there are any federal laws prohibiting such transfer. If you want to keep everything legitimate, you may want to look a little closer into that. I wouldn't want to mislead you into an American legal problem.

Altho, thank you. The sand is made by Southdown, and can be found in SOME hardware stores, such as Home Depot. You have to be careful, because most of their sand is silica based, and this is aragonite... Caribbean sand. It's possible that Southdown is going by another name now, but I'm not certain what it is.

Sid... thanks for the correction. I always assumed the laws were based upon import, not export. If there are laws against export of corals, I'd be certain this would apply to live rock, as well.

Back