In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm considering going bare bottom now after doing a little sand calculator and figuring out I need 240 lbs of sand to cover it 2" deep all around :shock: this is like the 8th time I've said this, but i'll say it again... Holy Macral!

I know this would help keep detritus suspended. I also know I would help by lessoning the chances I get a piece of sand stuck in the magnet cleaner and then scratch the tank.. so there are some benefits.

Maybe I'll start off bare bottom, then if I don't like it, I can always add sand later, right?

You don't have to go two inches of sand. I have probably less than one inch on average and in some cases the bottom is showing and in some other areas a bit of build up. The sand will give you more options for fish, inverts, and even corals so don't rule it out too fast. I am enjoying my new sand sifting stars and my pistol shrimp goby pair. I don't think you can have those without sand!

did some searching..

Jamestown Distributor carries it: White 24" x 54" 1/4" sheet = $34.69

If I did that route, I'd need 2 of them. what would I use to glue it together so you don't see the seem? Also, does this stuff float or sink in water. i feel like it floats, yes? if yes, what's the trick in getting it to stick to the bottom?

It floats.

I used it to build much of my lighting/ballast/power center supports in my canopy. It does cut like butter on a table saw. It's actually quite fun to work with! I don't think I would worry about the seam(s) It will not be a pristine bottom once the coralline is growing. Maybe you could make a rock rack out of it using some acrylic rod for pegs. Jason made me a rock rack using the acrylic cutouts from the tank top but I see no reason the starboard couldn't be used either accept that you probably need to go thicker than 1/4in if you are going to drill holes and peg it.

think I should try it without and then if i don't like it, add some later? I think there are always going to be two sides of this debate.. probably not one for this thread b/c we'll get off on a tangent - basically I think it boils down to personal preference b/c there are benefits to having and benefits to not having it.

I like (actually love) the look of sand, but I also kinda want to give it a try without to see what "the other side" is like :shock:

How hard is it to add sand later? It'd probably cloud the water a bit, but if I did it slowly later, probably wouldn't be too bad right? any adverse effects to adding it later? i don't think so.

the good news is I have a full month to think about it while my tank is being built and the equipment arrives. :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh it will be a complete mess adding it down the road. you'll have to baste your corals and rocks for days to keep the silt off. it can be done though. just run a filter sock and it should clear it up quicker.

oh i love sand, i'm just playing with everyone. i just didn't use sand at the end and enjoyed it just as much. i never had to worry about picking up a grain of sand in the cleaer magnet although your rocks break down and leave silt that you can pick up. :)

Yesir..It's a go! Just wrote Jason at CFI to see if I can get the tank put on the build schedule. Last time we talked he thinks it'll take about 30 days give or take. The bm250 is backordered and will take about 4 weeks to get here anyway, so that'll work out perfect. And now I have time to kick back, relax for just a little bit, second guess the design we all came up with and try to earn some extra $$ to pay for what will turn out to be an enormous credit card bill this next couple months. :lol: :doubt: :confused: :( :eek:

ohhh.. And... PUNCH A HOLE IN THE WALL!!!!! (that won't happen for a couple weeks yet)

Here's all of the equipment I'll be ordering up here shortly after I have a couple days to marinate on it:

• CFI Custom build 48 x 48 x 24 Acrylic - Clear
    w/ continuous overflow
    w/ 3 black out sides - precision cut/velcro
    w/Rock rack (removable)
    w/ white starboard (single sheet - precision cut)
  • (2) Lumenarc III black reflector (mogul w/ glass)
  • (2) 2 x 48-inch T5 TEK Retrofit system from Sunlight Supply.
    w/ (2) 48 inch T5 URI Super Actinic 420nm F54T5/V-HO 85 watt.
    w/ (2)48 inch T5 URI Aquasun 10,000K F54T5/V-HO 85 watt.
  • Bubble Master 250 Protein Skimmer
  • Kalkwasser Stirrer 1000
    w/ Aqua Lifter pump
    w/Suction Filter, Tom. Pre-filter for Aqua Lifter Dosing pump
  • Lumber/drywall/trim/paint

For fun b/c I told my wife (I needed them:badgrin: ):
  • Acrylic Safe Replacement Kit for hammerhead float
  • ROWAkalk 3 KG Tub
  • Two Little Fishies C-Balance 1 gal
  • ESV Granular Activated Carbon 4 lbs
  • Two Little Fishies PhosBan 150g.
  • (2) Gen XCalcium reactor media. 10 lb, 1 gallon sized jug

Plus of course all of the plumbing that I listed up above in post #317 which I won't post again b/c I think I'll hit the character capacity limit of a thread - phewww

that's a lot of stuff ain't it!

Last edited:
And my sell list now is ever growing too - I have to pay for it somehow.. this stuff won't be going up for a while though..

• Existing 55 gallon tank, stand, and canopy $200
  • Euroreef Es -1 (rated 100g) $125
  • 2 * Spider reflectors & mogul sockets $25
  • DI add on chamber for RO unit $15
  • 5 Mj1200s $50
  • 1 RBTA $50
  • Another RBTA $50
  • Green slimer big chunk in middle $60
  • Tunze Osmolator 3155 Auto Top off (still TBD) $100
  • Purple Tip acro nana colony $100
  • ORA tort $65
  • Pink & maybe green Star Polyp $30
  • Tiger pistol shrimp $20
  • Pygmy angel $20
  • Milwaukee Ph controller w/ 2 probes (1 brand new) (still TBD) $75
  • 2 power compact PFO 2x 65w ballasts +4 bulbs (Tbd) - $50
  • prolly a bunch of frags

"doubles" then "triples".. yeah Jesse.. painful, yet so close to home. :D thanks for rubbing it in.

Remember at the start of this thread when Jan said that I should put a confidence rating on my original budget? Yeah.. at the time I thought it was about 80-90% confident. In hindsight not even close.

Also, remember when Matt told me my plumbing budget was a little shy.. yeah... I'm not going to even go into how off I was on that one... good times, good times.. and some very good lessons learned.

well.. there's more time for reminiscing and poking fun at me later. Once I get it all hooked up, y'all are welcome to come over and we can have a little BBQ celebration or something.

well.. there's more time for reminiscing and poking fun at me later. Once I get it all hooked up, y'all are welcome to come over and we can have a little BBQ celebration or something

can I come? ... i can bring chips :p :lol: .

I'll bring some good ole Homebrew to the BBQ.

Well I laughed at the plumbing figure at first - what was it? 100.00? :) I think I spent 5k or 6k on my 125 so I knew you were a little off but the fun of it is realizing how much you are off. :) I thought at first oh I'll just buy some live rock and throw it in the tank. 4500.00 later I was just about to buy live rock. :)

And... PUNCH A HOLE IN THE WALL!!!!!

Oh boy!! I'm just gearing up to set up my frag system. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me. Anyone else want to come and help us? I will volunteer Ben to buy the pizza:lol: . I would say beer but it doesnt mix to well with power tools and driving IMO. Especially when your doing both at the same time.

""doubles" then "triples".. yeah Jesse.. painful, yet so close to home. thanks for rubbing it in."

Hehe thats exactly what happened to me.. started budgeting things out.. 2 weeks later my budget had increased by about 250% :eek: :eek:

I cant wait to see this thing up and running, Ill be at the BBQ for sure :cool: Hopefully Ill have soemthing cool to frag for a "tank warming" present by then :p

Milwaukee Ph controller w/ 2 probes (1 brand new) (still TBD) $75
Please remind me about this the next time we talk. I could probably use it.

prolly a bunch of frags

And you had better keep every last one of those. Yu are going to have one barren 240 for quite some time. Unless you plan on buying out BRs frag rack. :razz:

Last edited:
Back