In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks guys - I'm excited. I just need to solidify the price of the tank w/ Jason, solidify the skimmer price w/ BR, encorporate any additional feedback you provide here on the plumbing, find that extra couple grand that I'm over my original budget:D , and whammooo.. i'll be ordering parts:D

I'm considering going bare bottom now after doing a little sand calculator and figuring out I need 240 lbs of sand to cover it 2" deep all around :shock: this is like the 8th time I've said this, but i'll say it again... Holy Macral!

I know this would help keep detritus suspended. I also know I would help by lessoning the chances I get a piece of sand stuck in the magnet cleaner and then scratch the tank.. so there are some benefits.

Maybe I'll start off bare bottom, then if I don't like it, I can always add sand later, right?

Now you can understand why it took me a year to get my tank drilled and set up. :)

I think going bare bottom is a wise idea. You could use starboard like I did to place your rock on and all.

Now you can understand why it took me a year to get my tank drilled and set up. :)

I think going bare bottom is a wise idea. You could use starboard like I did to place your rock on and all.

Yes indeed - can totally see. Ohh yeah, that starboard is nice. I think It's pricey though. It has it's advantages b/c it reflects light upwards right? I'll check w/ Jason to see what'll take to put some starboard in there.

I'll check w/ Jason to see what'll take to put some starboard in there.
You should be able to get some starboard off of e-bay for cheap. It will cut like butter on your table saw. Why pay someone else what you can easily do for free?

Its starting to look like we may not be cutting that hole in the wall until X-mas now huh?:razz:

did some searching..

Jamestown Distributor carries it: White 24" x 54" 1/4" sheet = $34.69

If I did that route, I'd need 2 of them. what would I use to glue it together so you don't see the seem? Also, does this stuff float or sink in water. i feel like it floats, yes? if yes, what's the trick in getting it to stick to the bottom?

well i'd silicone it down so detritus can not settle under it. i siliconed mine down and worked like a charm.

as far as the seam - just push it tightly together or else cut it at a diagonal and let one side slide over the other a tad bit. I just pushed mine together and you never noticed the seam.

I can assure you it wont float. I was a cook in Alaska for quite a few years and we had twelve foot sheets of the stuff for the factory. Silicone to seal the edges is what most do. If you really want to take some time and dress it up you can sand it with 40 grit and glue some aragonite to it.

I talked to Jason @ CFI (good guy) and he's going to take care of me on the starboard - it'll be one full sheet and will be precision cut to fit inside. sweet!

Duane - glue aragonite to it ehh? crazy. Does it look like real sand or does the stable flatness of the board across the bottom of the tank make it look fake anyway? know of anyone who's done this before? if so, can you point me to some pics? and lastly, what type of glue would you use?

Nathan (Rocket) just sent me this totally outragous completed 3D model. Thanks Nathan!!! This Rocks!!! Sure beats the heck out of my lamo drawings.

class-clown-tank.jpg

Ben your too nice, but your drawings were really good to. just not to scale :D
I hope this is close to what you had in mind...

Here is the thread where Ive seen this done. http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77868&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 I took a couple pics from it to save some time if you like, but would recommend browsing through this tank build thread. I based my system around this tank. If you do a search in the GRD of RDO there are three pages of starboard related topics

I guess you'll have to browse the thread because I dont have time to photoshop a borrowed pic this morning. They're near pg 6.

Last edited:
how would it float it your live rock is sitting on top of it??

Sorry Kirk - didn't mean to ignore you on this question. I've heard the edges begin to float up after a while even w/ the rock on it. I guess it probably depends on how thick a piece you get (thinner would mean the edges buckle faster)

If you do a search in the GRD of RDO there are three pages of starboard related topics

Duane - I didn't realize his was even a bb tank -- it really looks like a sandy bottom. I'm curious to know how he did it (thread wasn't super descriptive besides to recomend sanding before hand). you know him right? think he could give me some pointers?

But I did look at some others that I didn't care for so much b/c it was just a flat board w/ a light sprinkling of sand. sorry to use this guy as an example, he has a really beautiful tank, but here is his post w/ pics of the flat board w/ even steven sand on it. http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70766&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100. still looks pretty artificial, ya know.

Having a BB tank myself, something you need to remember is... the bottom will NOT remain bare long!!! :D

Doing the starboard does help protect the bottom of your tank from scratches from your rockwork... true. Weather you leave it the shocking white, or do the dusting of sand... in about 4 months you won't notice it anymore, because in your healthy tank environment, coraline will develop over what ever is on the bottom of your tank, and now it looks like the ocean floor.

Speak now or forever hold your peace :) The monstorous plumbing list is has been assembled to include durso pipes and all:

Durso list:

(2) 1 inch Male Adapter MPT by Socket Spears schedule 40 PVC fitting.
(2) 1-1/4 inch x 1 inch Reducer Bushing Flush Style Spig x Soc Spears schedule 40
(2) 1-1/4 inch BLACK coupling, slip by slip
1 1¼ PVC Pipe
(2) 1-1/4 inch socket TEE fitting Spears. BLACK
1-1/4 inch street elbow spiggot by socket
1-1/4 inch Cap Socket Spears schedule 40 fitting

Return list:
(2) 1" schedule 80 bulkheads SR (FPT x FPT)
(2) 1" Male Adapter MPT by Socket Spears schedule 40
1 ft of 1" PVC
(1) 1 inch 45 degree Elbow Socket Spears schedule 40 fitting
3ft of 1" spa flex
(1) 1-1/2 inch by 1 inch by 1 inch True Y fitting (spig by socket by socket)
6-8ft of 1 1/2" PVC (Spa flex may be the way to go b/c it's so long and there is a good propensity of it getting bumped/moved)
(2) 1-1/2 inch 45 degree BLACK Elbow Socket Spears schedule 40 fitting.
(2) 1-1/2 inch BLACK Elbow Socket Spears schedule 40 PVC

(1) 1 inch x 3/4 inch Reducing 90 degree Elbow Soc x FPT Spears schedule 40 fitting
8-12 ft of 1" PVC
(1) 1 " true union ball valve (slip)
(5) 1" 45 degree Elbow Socket Spears schedule 40 fitting
(1) 1 inch x 3/4 inch Reducer Bushing Flush Style Spig x FPT Spears
(1) 3/4 inch Loc-Line 1 foot bendable section
(1) 3/4 inch Loc-Line Y Fitting (Black)
(2) 3/4 inch Loc-Line Flare Nozzle (3 inch Flare) Black

Closed Loop list:
(2) 1-1/2 inch Intake Screen MPT, black
(2) 1-1/2 inch Tank adapter bulkhead short body 1 1/4 inch length BLACK (thread by socket)
(2)1-1/2 inch BLACK Elbow Socket Spears schedule 40 PVC fitting
(2) 1-1/2 inch Tank Adapter (Bulkhead) Socket x SR FPT schedule 80 Spears
(2) 1-1/2 inch Male Adapter MPT x Soc Spears BLACK schedule 40 fitting
8 ft 1 1/2" PVC
6ft 1 1/2" spaflex
(1)1-1/2 inch BLACK Elbow Socket Spears schedule 40 PVC fitting
(1) 2 inch x 1-1/2 inch Reducer Bushing Flush Style Spig x Soc Spears schedule 40
(1) 1-1/2 inch by 2 inch Reducer Tee Socket Spears schedule 40 PVC fitting
(1) 2 inch 90 degree Elbow BLACK Socket Spears schedule 40 fitting
(2) 2 inch Male Adapter MPT x Soc Spears schedule 40 fitting
(1) 2" threaded true union ball valve
(1) 2 inch x 1 1/2 inch Reducer Bushing MPT x FPT Spears schedule 40 fittingr
(1) Sequence Reeflo Hammerhead

(1) 1 1/2" threaded true union ball valve
3ft 1 1/2" PVC
(1) 4 way Oceans Motions
(4) 1" Male Adapter MPT by Socket Spears schedule 40 PVC fitting
(4) 1 inch 45 degree Elbow Socket Spears schedule 40 fitting.
8 ft 1" spa flex
(4 more) 45 degree slip elbows
(4) 1" slip true union ball valves
(4) 1 inch Male Adapter MPT by Socket Spears schedule 40 PVC fitting. BLACK
(4) 1" 1 inch Tank Adapter (Bulkhead) SR FPT x SR FPT schedule 80 Spears
2 ft 1" PVC
(2) 1 inch Male Adapter MPT by Socket Spears schedule 40 PVC fitting. BLACK
(2) 1 inch BLACK Elbow Socket Spears schedule 40 PVC
(2) 1 inch Tank adapter (bulkhead) BLACK
(2) Omni Dual Nozzle - 1 inch (2 Section Nozzle)
(2) Omni Nozzle - Threaded Male (2 Section)

general:
(2) 1/2 pint Clear PVC cement. Low VOC solvent
(1) 1 quart Clear PVC primer
(1) thread sealant

boy that's a big list of parts

I recommend ample "Pipe Thread Tape" on threaded fittings. Things like the "Spears Super Blue Liquid Thread Sealent" do seal wonderfully... but you'll never unthread that fitting in the future!

If you don't need something unthreaded in the future, why use a threaded fitting??? Just do slip joints, and the Kristies Red Hot Blue Glue... and you're good to go.

ahh haa.. didn't know it locked things shut. figured it was like that gooey white stuff you pickup at Lowes/HD that if you crank on it pretty good it'll come off. yeah totally agree - no point in thread fittings if you can't remove them. I'll stick w/ the teflon tape or the normal thread glue from lowes/HD. thx

Back