In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Five days without a post!:shock: What happened here. C'mon man. Dont you have water in this thing yet? Trips to Michigan dont count as excuses for untimely delays! :badgrin:

Five days without a post! What happened here. C'mon man. Dont you have water in this thing yet? Trips to Michigan dont count as excuses for untimely delays

LMAO!!! i think he's waiting to rain to get some water dood :lol:

Five days without a post!:shock: What happened here. C'mon man. Dont you have water in this thing yet? Trips to Michigan dont count as excuses for untimely delays! :badgrin:

sorry... sorry.. I've been negligent, I know. Works been busy and I've been out of town. Here's an update though:

The bubblemaster 250 is in, hooked up, and rocking and rolling on my current 55 gallon. I was worried I was going to have to knockout one of the partitions to get it to fit, but it fits perfectly as is. So far I'm happy with it realizing it's going through it's break in period. I love the gate valve and the fine bubbles it produces. Someone please shoot me for not adding these two mods to my Euroreef a while ago. I think I'm going to try to just run it about half of the time so I don't overskim (i've heard there is such a thing - yes?).

Plumbing is also coming along - slowly, but surely. I mostly have been working on it in short 30 min bursts for two reasons. 1) the fumes from the glue and primer :eek::eek::eek: 2) because I'll run into some design challenges and sometimes it's easier to take a break and think about them after a break. Right now, I'm struggling with installing the nozzles up front probably mostly because I'm chicken to drill the holes and commit until I'm absolutely sure about the nozzle placement. I'll be working on it more today and hope to finish up the closed loop. Once I get the closed loop done, I think I'll fill it up with fresh water and do a leak test and see if this crazy plumbing design is even going to work. :lol::lol:

Hey Ben Be like Nike and just do it......LOL. Sorry I can't remember if you have posted flow patterns for the forward nozzles. Are they being used mostly for tank bottom or pointed toward rock work? Remember locline gives lots of flexibility.
Scott

Hey Ben Be like Nike and just do it......LOL. Sorry I can't remember if you have posted flow patterns for the forward nozzles. Are they being used mostly for tank bottom or pointed toward rock work? Remember locline gives lots of flexibility.
Scott

Scott - your new avatar is scaring me my man - I love it:shock::|:cry: :p

the front nozzles will be pointing back. I just picked up some new adapters from Lowes, so will give those a try. I know, I know.. "just do it" right? stop being such a chicken I tell myself. I'm headed back outside to do a little work. But first..... I need a little pump me up music...

Click the image for a little "eye of the tiger" and sing it with me now...

Dahn....!!! Dahn-Dahn-Dahnt!!!!!! Dahn-Dahn-Dahnt!!!!!! Dahn-Dahn-Daaaaaaahnt!!!!!!

Dahn....!!! Dahn-Dahn-Dahnt!!!!!! Dahn-Dahn-Dahnt!!!!!! Dahn-Dahn-Daaaaaaahnt!!!!!!

angry035.gif

for some reason i imagine Will Ferrell in tight shorts and going up the stairs and saying...YEAH!!! :lol:

I've been a little negligent in the posting lately, but it's b/c I've been busy working. Hoping to make up for lost time, here are some pics to describe where i'm at.

The rocky theme music worked -- i grew a pair, jumped in the tank and started drilling...
770428166_2e56eb92ee.jpg

Duane's been here helping me on the project from the beginning. Of course it wouldn't be right if he wasn't there for the first fill of H20...
770427816_d05fca3239.jpg

I also suckered him into...err... I mean, he "volunteered" to helping me move my existing tank out into the garage and setup a couple temp tanks where my corals & fish are residing.. it works like a charm - thanks again Duane!
770428980_383d4993e5.jpg

I reconnected the sump to my new tank..
770481948_00c297e238.jpg

And we are a go!!!!
769650059_b7734aad4c.jpg

769650039_8fcd13346a.jpg

769649925_316b8af768.jpg

Thanks guys.. I actually did have a couple leakers. I think I was too high off of the primer & glue fumes and I forgot to tape a couple of my threaded nuts. There were only 3 leaks though and all small causing only a drip every 3 seconds or so. Today I'm going to drain it out, fix the leaks, and start filling her with RO and salt.

Ben

Looks like your not far from putting your coarls in that new tank. :)

Are you gonna use all the old rock and just add some well cured rock and all the old water then add the coarls ---or let the new tank completely cycle with new rock or ???

:)

Paul

Last edited:
Hey Paul,

good questoin --I'm going to use all of my old rock from my 55 and then some I've been collecting/cooking for a while. I plan to put the live rock in after my temp and salinity is good and then let it do it's thing. I'll try to re-use as much water from my old tank as possible too to reduce cycle time, but I only have enough to fill about a quarter of the new tank with the old water. So I imagine there will be some cycle. I'll test regularly and see how it goes. I've heard some people really never have much of a cycle at all and I've heard others really have to start all over again. I guess I'm just going to have to find out what type of situation I'm dealing with when the time comes.

Ben

Back