In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Questions:

Ben, does the fact that your new tank walls and bottom are not already coated with nitrifying/dentrifying (whatever) bacteria mean that you are going to have a mini-cycle in your tank? Do people get a cycle of some sort every time something new is added? New sand, for example?

I think so. Although if you utilize most/all of your existing stuff w/ that good bacteria on it, you should be all set. You thinking about adding some new sand? On as side note Jan, I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever. We need to catchup as soon as this project gets done -- right now it's just amazingly time consuming. Hope all is well.

you're way further into this project than i was aware,and it is amasing how much planning goe's into setting up!Looks like you're setting up a real bombshell tank!

Jan,

If you need some new sand, I have an extra bag (or two) of Caribsea Sugar Size sand for sale.

Kirk

Well truth be told, I am taking the husband's advice and getting a second professional opinion on the expected longevity of my tank. So there's a new aquarium tech coming out to check it out and give his assessment on the severity of the bowing and crasing. If he also says that I should plan to replace it within a year, I will have DH's support to do it.

I'm thinking ahead about if I got a new tank and moved everything to like you did, could I expect a cycle. I think I might be having a mini-cycle in my new-ish cube, which I added sand to 6-8 weeks ago. Seems like a long time but I have stuff now growing on the sand which is either diatoms or cyano, I'm not sure which. It is reddish brown and was getting stringing on me before I syphoned it out this weekend.

Aside from the stress and work of a tank move, I'd be happy to re-aquascape because right now I'm all out of real estate and I don't have enough room between my rocks and my tank walls....

Thankyou again for the compliment, Gaby. :) It was nice to meet you in person.

Looking forward to catching up with you too, Ben. I hope your coral collection isn't too dessimated. I want to come see your tank when the time is right for you. :D

i didn't know your tank is bowing Jan.
that happened to me 2 years ago (because of the lights being to close to the plastic thing :p) ...i replaced my tank with a new one and yes i had a little bit of a cycle but it wasn't to bad as i was expecting .
i think what you got in the little tank is diatoms ...my cyano is redder than what you got :p:).

Update: Lights are setup - minus 2 bulbs and a bad ballast (arghh). I finished the trim to disguise the water line - nice suggestion gabs and Matt! and am now working on routing cables and hooking up my aquacontroller (although one of my PH Probes has gone bad and I need to reorder another)

here are some updated pics and a few close ups by special request....

lighting rack hung (notice I'm still out a few actinics)
897216882_2e32864b3e.jpg

Look ma..I mean gabs..no water line visable from the front anymore
897146856_69539e05ae.jpg

897146902_94dd8a5ce0.jpg

left rock work:
897207508_14a457621f.jpg

right rock work:
897147206_f9eb566540.jpg

and, the close ups (I'm no blazer88)
897172582_5df84f88c4.jpg

897147012_403f9d21c0.jpg

897146990_beaa194348.jpg

I love this tank. Awesome job man! I was wondering how it would look with the lock line in the front. I like it. It doesn't take away from the whole view like i was thinking. Thanks for the pictures dude!

Oh man Ben! It looks great!
So how is the flow doing? Are there any areas that are too hard to siphon? We are gonna have to come over for a close up view.:D
Scott

and, the close ups (I'm no blazer88)

LMAO!!! :lol::lol:.

omg dood!!! your tank is just freaking amazing :eek::D....nice job on the wall trim thingy.....seriously dood your tank screams ...drool !!! everywhere :D

I know things are in the early stages of tweaking and fine tuning but,... How do you like the MBV/OM combination so far?

I know things are in the early stages of tweaking and fine tuning but,... How do you like the MBV/OM combination so far?

So far, i like it. I can really see the current moving in there which is nice. It's big fat current vs. the forceful concentrated current that I had coming out of the MJ1200's of the old tank. I'm confident it's way better than the 9 maxijets I had in my 55, but long term it's still too early to tell. It'll be neat to watch for sure how the corals respond over time.

Back