In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hey ben,
tank is looking amazing!! great work man!!
glad to see a person who takes so much care in the design and installation of a system, it's very refreshing...:)

Well truth be told, I am taking the husband's advice and getting a second professional opinion on the expected longevity of my tank. So there's a new aquarium tech coming out to check it out and give his assessment on the severity of the bowing and crasing. If he also says that I should plan to replace it within a year, I will have DH's support to do it.
:D
jan, the fact that there is ANY crazing, especially in conjunction with bowing, and that the crazing is in the highest stress points of the tank (at the top around the corner seams) is what prompted my suggestion to consider replacing your tank in the next year or so...not that it will for sure just blow out on you, but it's definately not a good thing, and is the weakest link in your otherwise excellent system, hence my suggestion:)

Oh man Ben! It looks great!
So how is the flow doing? Are there any areas that are too hard to siphon? We are gonna have to come over for a close up view.:D
Scott

Hey Scott - yeah, all areas in the front are pretty hard to siphon and clean for that matter b/c of the size- I'm going to really need to keep up on my magnet cleaner husbandry. I think once I get a cat walk built it'll be a bit easier. Also, I need to make myself a good viewing box. I ordered up some of the good acrylic glue and with the needlepoint applicator and I plan to try to make myself one out of that scrap acrylic you gave me. I'd love to see that new car you guys are getting- it looks awesome. You guys are always welcome anytime, just shoot me a PM or give me a call...

Thanks all for the compliments :D:D:D:D

jan, the fact that there is ANY crazing, especially in conjunction with bowing, and that the crazing is in the highest stress points of the tank (at the top around the corner seams) is what prompted my suggestion to consider replacing your tank in the next year or so...not that it will for sure just blow out on you, but it's definately not a good thing, and is the weakest link in your otherwise excellent system, hence my suggestion

Yep, I understand, Mark. But you know how it is, gotta keep those spouses happy. Getting a new tank is a big undertaking especially considering that I've already done it twice this year. I need him to be 100% behind the decision. So I'm happy to get a second opinion on it if it accomplishes that goal. ;)

Yep, I understand, Mark. But you know how it is, gotta keep those spouses happy. Getting a new tank is a big undertaking especially considering that I've already done it twice this year. I need him to be 100% behind the decision. So I'm happy to get a second opinion on it if it accomplishes that goal.

lol !!! don't forget the sweet talk :lol: :D

Seems like such a shame that this thread has stopped just shy of 1000 replies. :)

More pics please.

You guys are funny. How about a list of Lessons Learned - that way, people can learn from this...

lesson #1) When doing starboard, my advise is to ALWAYS silicone or glue them down to the bottom. They do float! I can not stress this enough. I've already had to tear the rockwork down twice. once was because I noticed one of those clear dowel rods stuck underneath there that was causing a buckle and the second time was yesterday when Duane and I noticed that my dart fish had gone underneath the starboard and wedged himself underneath. What a mess that was to try to get him out, knock down all of the rocks, and start over. Also, I'm noticing a lot of detritus build up underneath there. Additionally, each time I lift up the starboard I end up scratching the acrylic with the debris. Long story short, anyone who is considering a bare bottom w/ starboard has to silicone or glue down the starboard before placing any inhibitants in there.

Lesson #2) bubble master skimmers rock - I can't say enough good things about the skimmer. They are expensive, but I'm pulling out a lot of crap in the water and am really glad I spent the extra money.

Lesson #3) Fan's really, really help to keep the temperature in the tank down. I never really thought they did much or truthfully had much of a use for them until i tried to use my 1/10 HP chiller with this 240 system. I've got a fan over top of the sump running full time and it really really helps to keep the temperature cool. If there are other non-beleivers like I was, give it a try, I think you'll be suprised.

Lesson #4) T5's are great! I can't beleive how bright they are. Maybe it's just because they are new bulbs, but I seriously can't beleive how bright they are. I was sceptical of some of the hype I read about, but now seeing them in action I'm very happy.

lesson #5) If your fish gets ick, sometimes just leaving them where they are at to recover on their own is the best. My purple tang got several white spots with the recent move. I'm sure it was enduced by stress. I just ended up leaving him alone b/c there would've been no way for me to capture him in the new tank and he shows no signs of stress, doesn't have any visable white spots, and he's back to normal.

Lesson #6) I really like the rock holders w/ the clear pegs. They help make the rock work more sturdy, allow for more flow at the bottom of the tank, and give the fish a fun obstacle course to swim through. I'd advocate these for sand beds or no sand beds.

I'm sure they'll be more lesson's learned as we go along here, but there are a few good one's to get started on.

#1 thought you knew to silicone the entire starboard down? Shame on you for not reading krishes entire threads:D
#2 They really do sound like great skimmers
#3 Fans are cool:D
#4 T5's are great but don't let the naked eye fool you as to what works best, you can't see that.
#5 ICK you should of QTed, see Lee's forums because you would never ever get that.
#6 I sure wish you had better pics of these rock holder because I'd like more information on them & how they are made, I just saw a brief mention about them!!

#7 Really Suks you had to redo it all, bet you have it down by now:(

Ben,

How many T-5's have you got going? This is in addition to your 2 250 watt halides, right? You've got new luminarcs, right? I think that a combo of halides plus T-5's would be ideal, to get the shimmer + PAR of halides plus the diffusion of the T-5's. Your coral colors are going to pop! :) :cool:

thought you knew to silicone the entire starboard down? Shame on you for not reading krishes entire threads

dood his threads are half nonsense and half serious...well i guess reading nonsence it's awesome too :lol: :D :p

Ben,

How many T-5's have you got going? This is in addition to your 2 250 watt halides, right? You've got new luminarcs, right? I think that a combo of halides plus T-5's would be ideal, to get the shimmer + PAR of halides plus the diffusion of the T-5's. Your coral colors are going to pop! :) :cool:

Hi Jan. I have 6 48" T5 bulbs. My ultimate plan was to have 4 actinics and 3 10ks, but I'm short an actinic bulb at the moment, so I have 3 10ks and 3 actinics. They come on in different stages throughout the day with the actinics on first and going off last.

In the middle of the lighting rack, I have those 2 12k reefluxes with the lumenarcs. I definately miss the mega shimmer I had going on with just the MH's on my other tank, but I also like the brightness of the 10ks, so to me it is worth it.

Thanks Elliot.

Here are a few pics of the lighting rack for Jan and the rock rack for Scooty.

Jan - you are standing on the ground looking at the lighting rack pulled out in this shot. It'll show you how I have them configured (the mh are not on right now - not sure why actually - will have to check my program)

978074728_7c5c8e4a5a.jpg

Scooty - I have two rock racks. The bases of them are made from scrap 1/2" acrylic that was left over from the tank build. Essentially it's a plate of acrylic with holes drilled in it. In each of these holes, I place just clear acrylic rods and then place the rocks on top. It holds the rocks suspended in the air which allows fish/criters to swim safely underneath. It allows for decent water circulation underneath. and also helps keep the load stabelized. Here are a few pics from the side of the tank so you can see how it works.

see the acrylic plate on the bottom, it has holes in it where the pegs sit. You can also see the pegs suspending the rock above the bottom in this pic.
978074968_c5a92fb659.jpg

Here is a picture of the pegs:
978074804_369be6b95f.jpg

And here's a picture of the world's smartest fish who managed to wedge himself between the starboard and the tank today. Yes he was physically stuck and I had to push him out. Keep in mind, this fish had been missing for ~ 3 days before Duane and I spotted him underneath the starboard yesterday. :eek::eek::eek:

978074772_3bf3f0b2e2.jpg

Back