In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ben, I did this when I first setup up my tank. I've just recently removed it since it seemed to be trapping more detritus than good. I'd recommend maybe silicone them down to help prevent this.

That lighting rack looks awesome, Ben. Do you still see any shimmer from the halides? Oh, and I will have an extra 48" actinic in the near future, as I ordered a different color for one of mine. If you haven't already ordered one and want one, I could hook you up.

That lighting rack looks awesome, Ben. Do you still see any shimmer from the halides? Oh, and I will have an extra 48" actinic in the near future, as I ordered a different color for one of mine. If you haven't already ordered one and want one, I could hook you up.

Honestly, I really don't see the shimmer much, which is a little dissapointment. I do have lots of surface agitation too which is interesting. I'm thinking about switching to 10 reefluxs vs. the 12k since I have sufficient actinics now and I bet I'll see a little more of the shimmer then.

Hey, I'll take you up on that actinic bulb offer assuming you get your new bulb fairly quickly. Just PM me and let me know what you want for it. thanks Jan!!! :eek2:

Ben,

I read that you wanted/wished you had glued down your starboard. There's such a thing as underwater epoxy that you could always use. You also wouldn't have to lift the board up, just smear a bead along the edge and bottom of the tank where the starboard and tank bottom meet. That might help your potential detrius problem. I think I called you to tell you that too, but IDK.

BTW, is that firefish new?

Awesome as always dude! I really enjoy reading your thread. Next time i build a tank I am going to try the rods out.
About the firefish, I have a school of 9 and they are burrowers. It's probably a little confused about not being able to bury itself. I hope it gets use to the bare bottom idea.

thanks Elliot. Thanks Frankie.

Elliot - yep, he's new. Hey, can you point me to the product you are refering to? I'm worried I'd make a huge mess. think I could apply it in the tank without making a big mess?

Its by loctite, its called underwater epoxy. They make a two part gel and 2 part putty type. I'd show you a link but the entire loctite sight is java so...

I got some at lowes/home depot. Doesn't have to be loctite either, Just underwater based. It might piss your skimmer off a little bit.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searchItem.aspx?IdCategory=&SearchText=epoxy

This is the stuff I was telling you about when you kept hanging up on me in the name of your job. I use it for mounting my LR rubble (that corals are superglued to) to my aquascaping where superglue gel just wont quite do the job.
I would hold the starboard down with some scrap PVC cut to length and then use the epoxy to cover the bulkhead holes and fasten it to the lowest fitting of the locline. I wouldnt recommend using anything between the starboard and tank. I think it will create a mess that may not be so easy to clean up in the future.

Duane, which product--there's a few different epoxys there. (I'm always looking for something more reliable than superglue.)

Elliot/Duane - I'm just worried about making a horiffic mess with that stuff, but I like how you're thinking. I could always try it on the back ports first where it's not as critical that it be so pretty. What's your experience been in working with it. I figure if it's a two parter, it's got to be messy.

Duane, which product--there's a few different epoxys there. (I'm always looking for something more reliable than superglue.)
Ive used the two little fishies pink (from Blue sierra) and the hold fast green (which is the more common in the Seattle area). I'm sure all of the epoxies sold by MD are comparable. Some brands tend to make skimmers blow their lid a little more than others though.

If you use epoxy just be sure not to touch the glass with it. It leaves a white mark that is hard to get off. I had to learn the hard way!

Class Clown! Pictures Please! ok ok problems with the board thing. Maybe pictures next weekend?
My heart goes out to you for your poor fish that got stuck but hey life is tough!

Ben,

After talking with you the other day about running a bead of some sorts along the edge where the board meets the bottom of the tank, another idea came to me. I was going to call and tell you this but we got a call.

Instead of having it visible, why not just lift the board up a little and put the epoxy/putty UNDER the board so the weight of the rock will help keep it in place. This might help solve the fact that it doesn't stick so well underwater, and I think you should be able to get it close enough to where it wouldn't look so bad. With the putty you would just mix it, and then roll it into a long thin piece ( kinda like you used to with playdo™ ) , lift and then 'tuck' it under the edge of the board and set the board down.

Back