In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hahah that 120xl would be perfect...but another thing on if you want to go 30-36" wide is that wou would have to get it in acrylic and didnt you say that you didnt want acrylic anymore? plus its hard to get a glass custom. =/

but dude, this is shouls be a great project. im def comming over sometime =) i still havent seen your tank in person =(

47,24 x 31,49 x 19,69 h inch....

boy does that sound perfect! :rolleyes:

Any offsetting income you haven't considered to help with the budget? Income tax return? Stuff you can sell? :D

So I think I'm on about Plan C (this is the one w/ the 120AGA), and I'm sure I'll get to Plan H or better by the time I'm done with it.. but here is where is stands so far.

If you spot where I may have under or overestimated, let me know. If I can find some good used components, this will help knock down the price too, so I'll be looking for those.

443746764_a9acb44dab_o.jpg

dood who cares if you go over budget, we all go through that ... just do it !!! :D .
i think in the long run you'll be happy with the Elos tank ( or at least i think that way :D)

Wish my wife felt the same.. Gabs, I know your happily married, but wouldnt be interested in a wife swap until I get this thing finished, would you? :D

hahah that 120xl would be perfect...but another thing on if you want to go 30-36" wide is that wou would have to get it in acrylic and didnt you say that you didnt want acrylic anymore? plus its hard to get a glass custom. =/

but dude, this is shouls be a great project. im def comming over sometime =) i still havent seen your tank in person =(

that's why the elos is intriguing - it's a 30 width. you have an open invitation of course - just hit me up whenever you feel like making the trip up.

Any offsetting income you haven't considered to help with the budget? Income tax return? Stuff you can sell? :D

Got $150 back and it's gone. But I like the idea of maybe trying to get rid of some other stuff. I'll work on list and see what I can put together.

P.S - wife and I agreed to $1700 for this project. I was thinking $5000, and she was thinking $1000.. so we met in "the middle" ha ha.. yeah.. ya'll can see how well that one worked out for me.

Well, there's a truism in the project mgt world, which is that the first estimate can commonly come in anywhere from 50% to 150% low. The more research you do, the closer to the mark you will come. That's why I always provide a "confidence rating = low" with my first estimates. ;)

Jan- you're genious! Ok.. just finished rummageing through the house and inventorying all my stuff and put together a list of every possible thing I could sell. some of these, I'm not totally sure I'll want to get rid of, like the ATO and slimer and porite, but in case I need to, I can.

443802365_97781c4b95.jpg

as is now, If I sold everything on that list, I've got $65 to spare.. hmmm.. now what's the likelyhood of me actually meeting this????? - confidence level = LOW ha ha.. I can still dream right?

Total Buy ---> $2,215
Total Sell----> $580
Net -----> $1,635
Budget ----> $1,700
Difference ----> ($65)

well 2,214 is not that bad... i mean you could easily spend more like 7000 :D .
have you ever thought about letting your wife go for a nice trip to hmm Hawaii and just buy everything while she's out :D :lol: .

Wish my wife felt the same.. Gabs, I know your happily married, but wouldnt be interested in a wife swap until I get this thing finished, would you?

LMAO!!!! yeah right and then have your wife come after me for not stopping you ... no thank you :lol: .

Got $150 back and it's gone. But I like the idea of maybe trying to get rid of some other stuff. I'll work on list and see what I can put together.
hmm you could always end up selling tons of frags and stuff :p .

P.S - wife and I agreed to $1700 for this project. I was thinking $5000, and she was thinking $1000.. so we met in "the middle" ha ha.. yeah.. ya'll can see how well that one worked out for me.

LOL!!!! :lol: .... for some reason i have a feeling that's not gonna be close to what you're truthly gonna be spending BUT you could use that and slowly just keep adding without the wife knowing :D .

Well, call me the "Queen of Enablers," but I think you should just go for it. Assume you will sell everything to make up the difference. If you don't manage it, you will still find a way to make it work. It may be rice and beans for a week, but that's good for your health, you know? :lol:

Well, call me the "Queen of Enablers," but I think you should just go for it. Assume you will sell everything to make up the difference. If you don't manage it, you will still find a way to make it work. It may be rice and beans for a week, but that's good for your health, you know?

i totally agree .... one in a life time, well sort of (until you find the next project :lol:) .
you know rice and beans are awesome or canned chilli :D .

i have heard of them too i just don't know how good they are :p.

on the other hand you can always ask BigT if he is any busy ;):D...may be he'll be able to help you out

So here's the deal with Glass Cages. I just called and spoke with two people who told me that they would never again come to Seattle. hmmm.. Maybe they had a bad experience here or something- who knows.

That said, i can still get a tank from them, it just isn't going to cost what's quoted on the site. I'll have to pay shipping and I'll have to add cost of overflows to their prices.

Shipping for either of the tanks I was interested in would be $650.
each overflow would be $75 or if I just wanted holes drilled, it's $25 a hole. But either way, they do this funky edging thing where they double up the glass on the bottom of the tank. Maybe it's for extra support, but it would pretty much put me out of the option of going bare bottom if I was so inclined. If I did it, I'd probably have them drill 3 or 4 holes - 2 inlets, 2 outlets and then have Jason from CFI build me some overflows.

Here are some pictures that they have on their website of their craftsmanship too on their websit, which I'm not saying they're bad, but it just may not be what I'm looking for:

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewPicture&lPictID=64
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewPicture&lPictID=119
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewPicture&lPictID=93

If I went this route cost would be as follows..
  • Glass cages 170 Gal. (2 * $25 a hole) + shipping = $1,250.00 (does not include overflows)
  • Glass cages 190 (2 * $25 a hole) + shipping = $1,360.00 (does not include overflows)

Hmmm....well, as long as you're not going to do bare bottom I think it would look fine, full of water and livestock etc. And it's a much better price than ELOS....

Do any of the bigger companies like ALL Glass do custom sizes?

Yeah, definitely more in line with your budget. I looked at their delivery list and LA is the closet show they have. For me it'd be hard to justify half the tank cost in shipping.

You could always wait for the annual Denny's Pet World sale! Last year they had low priced 120 and 180 gallon tanks. I think they were AGA brand.

Last edited:
You could always wait for the annual Denny's Pet World sale! Last year they had low priced 120 and 180 gallon tanks. I think they were AGA brand.

Second weekend in August though -- dohh -just called and spoke with a nice lady to confirm. But hey, ya never know, It could take me that long to get my act together (I can hope not):D

I don't know about glass cages - It just scares me a bit that i wouldn't have any recourse if it turned out that something was wrong with it - i'd have to pay $650 to ship it back to them if something was wrong. Plus, you know when you just get that feeling that it may not be such a good deal afterall - I kinda got that feeling on the phone.

Always trust your gut...if you didn't get a good feeling I'd definitely not go with them.

August isn't that far away! :) actually when you want something now it seems like eternity.

Back