IPisces' 180

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

WELLLLLLL, A while back I noticed my wrasse was not looking good. His colors were really pale. Any my purple tang was showing signs of ick.:sick:
So over the week of july 14 to the 21st I was catching fish and moving them to QT. Couldnt catch a couple of them before they came down with ick or possibly oodinium. Lost a tomini tang and 4 talbot damsels. Tomini's are so shy. He would not come out from behind the rocks for anything. Otherwise the hawaiian saddleback wrasse, purple tang (gullible fish, or maybe just inquisitive. He was the first one in the trap and I didnt even have to put food in it), orange shoulder tang, blue hippo tang, 1 talbot damsel and the bursa trigger are all doing well in hyposalinity now for the 6th week. And the tank has been fallow for the same amount of time. Going to start raising the salinity in qt in a couple weeks.

Still working on an easier way to do water changes. I can only lift a little over half full 5 gal bucket and doing a 30 gal water change is not fun!
And still working on an ATO.

I am moving coral into it a little at a time. Will move some more in this weekend. I am moving the frogspawn and hammer corals from the 90 into the 180 this weekend. I have to move them becuase the darn GBT anemone moved from where it had been for a year, down to the rocks where the hammer and frogspawn is at. I have been keeping a close eye on it. Its interesting, the hammer coral is holding its own. The anemone is pretty close to it, like within mm's, but wont touch it. The frogspawn on the other hand lost a couple heads before I could move it. Of course the nem moved during the day when I was at work and it planted itself right in the middle of the frogspawn colony and wrapped it foot around the branches. Animals...whatcha gonna do!

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate.......keep your chin up and remember this is a fun no stress hobby:)lol
I would offer my help but maybe just a little to far away but i know/sure others here will if you ever need it!

I was born in March.....were you? Ur forum name:)

Lorrie sorry to hear you are in a slump with your system/fish.
As we all know it is not all peaches and cream.
Sometimes its more work than we would like... but the rewards will come sooner than you think.
Keep your nose to the grindstone.
Let us know if we can help in any way, and be sure to inform us of the problem, if you find it.

Oh definitely, no stress here. I am pretty easy going. Just going with the flow. Waiting it out and in another month start adding fish back one or maybe two at a time.
And animals like nems are unpredictable. If your going to have one, you have to expect it and just be prepared to work around the animal. Its all about them now, isnt it?

Yes spinner, my bday is in march. And I cant stay out of my tanks.

Thanks Gimmito. All the rest of the fish are doing great. Just a matter of time now. I am looking forward to moving coral in and aquascaping. Would be better without the fish in the tank anyway. It would probably stress them out being in an out of the tank and moving stuff around.

been there..and NOT fun...the 8 wks of fallow for me was a looooonnngggg time, esp staring and 375g of water, rock, and a couple corals....YAWN!!!!

Oh, well, Most everyone is doing good. Lost the purple tang. Not sure what he came down with. He was eating great and active and one evening he didnt come out to eat and the next morning he was gone. No white spots and no white film of any kind. He did have a mark on his mouth, but it didnt look like a fungas or anything. Wasnt spreading. I had startled him a few days before and he had slammed nose first into the corner of the tank pretty hard. I dont know if that would have had anything to do with it or not.

Anyway, I started raising the salinity. Another week and I think the orange shoulder tang and the bursa trigger will be put back in the tank.

I am letting go of the wrasse and the blue hippo. The wrasse really needs a large fish only tank. He doesnt mess with coral except when going after food, he can be pretty aggresive and he eats snails and mini brittle stars and crabs.

I have placed a few lps in the tank to see how they will do. They seem to be doing pretty good.
I will try to get pics this weekend. Lifes been pretty busy. I havent had much time to work on it.
I am redoing the connections on the bottom of the overflow so I can hook up a hose to it and run it out side to do water changes. I am not hefting 5 gallon buckets if I dont have to.
I still need to set up the ATO.
I am still debating on whether or not I am going to tie the 40B frag tank into it, or set it up seperate.
Anyway, a lot of work still needs to be done. Its going to be a while. My mom is coming out the end of the month. I will be on vaca for that week. I might get something done then.

refreshing this page waiting for an update! jk i have been busy! next time you guys are in town swing by and pick up a frag of that bird-nest! i need to trim it down, its starting to hog the light on top of the tank!

Okay, I have added a few lps, and a couple sps. Mostly hammer coral and frogspawn and torch corals. There are a few fish in the tank now. Mated pair of watchman gobies, mystery wrasse and my orange shoulder tang.
I have not had a chance to get pics of the gobies yet.
Trying to decide what other fish I would like to get.

Sorry. Pics are kinda washed out.

DSC09191.jpg

DSC09187.jpg

Hello IPisces :)

Just took the last hour and totally enjoyed reading and viewing your build. I must say, what an adventure! You've got a very beautiful tank! Those LED's sure made a big difference :)

Hello IPisces :)

Just took the last hour and totally enjoyed reading and viewing your build. I must say, what an adventure! You've got a very beautiful tank! Those LED's sure made a big difference :)

Thank you
They do make a big difference.
The adventure continues. There is a lot I still need to do to the tank. Now that fall has set in, I wont be outside working in the yard, I might get some of it done.

Very nice looking Lorrie. Love the way everything came together and looking great.

Cheers,
Alex

Back